• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Passow’s Spent Grain Beer Bread

Here's my own recipe:
1 1/8 cups water
2 1/2 cups White bread flour
1/2 cups Rye bread flour
1 Tbsp Milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. Agave Nectar
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
2 packages of active dry yeast
1 cup (packed) of spent grains (this batch consisted of primarily of wheat with Pilsner 2-Row and Vienna)

Add all ingredients in the order above (if your grains are particularly wet, you may need to add more rye/white flour)

Bread machine has a dough setting, I used that, now I let it rise for an hour, punched it town. Tomarrow I'll bring it out, let it rise, punch it down, free form it and bake it up. More pic to follow.

Here it is after the first rising:
beerbread1.jpg

Here's the carboys of beer in the basement, I call it "Carboy Row".
carboyrow.jpg

{mods, this is a cooking thread with a recipe, not a recipe thread, do not move it to the Recipe section)

Sounds good IGG but if you punch it down after the first proof, chill overnight, and then bring out for a second proof, if you punch it down again, it may not have enough poop left and be a brick, I would say after chilling bring it out, let rise a bit, work it into you pans or bolles but don't overwork it. Better yet skip the overnight and after the first proof, do your loaves or bolles, proof and bake. That would be the ideal. There is no advantage to chilling overnight.

Salute', TB.

Don't listen to him IGG! The cow on his head is controlling his brain! HE WANTS YOU TO FAIL!!!!!

Nah, listen to him. TB knows his shite. He's dead on with the breadnesxt...

texas blues said:
Sounds good IGG but if you punch it down after the first proof, chill overnight, and then bring out for a second proof, if you punch it down again, it may not have enough poop left and be a brick, I would say after chilling bring it out, let rise a bit, work it into you pans or bolles but don't overwork it. Better yet skip the overnight and after the first proof, do your loaves or bolles, proof and bake. That would be the ideal. There is no advantage to chilling overnight.

Salute', TB.

Sorry, misscomunication between me and my bread teacher (mom). We're going to let it rise and then shape it into the roll and bake.

when i make pizza dough i brush some olive oil on the top, and cut two slits in the shape of an "X", throw a towel over it, and place it a-top the refridge for a few hours to rise...though i've never actually made bread before.

OH YA BABY! THIS IS GREAT!!! I just cut a warm slice off, buttered it...mmmmmm. Needs a little more Agave Nectar but other than that, this is amazing! I still have enough grain to do 10 or 15 of these things (the grain is in the freezer now for future use). Here she is:

beerbread2.jpg

And yes, Fr0tran, I'm doing a Famous Passow Pizza from scratch soon just like you've been wanting me to for a while. ;)

That looks fantastic. Your first WIN in a long time! See what happens when you stop post whoring. You're back to cooking up seriously good eats.

It's begging for meat and cheese!

Thanks guys! I was going to make a nice breakfest of Hole-in-Ones with it but the :high: hangover was too great this morning for complex thoughts and I just made a bowl of cereal.

thehotpepper.com said:
That looks fantastic. Your first WIN in a long time! See what happens when you stop post whoring. You're back to cooking up seriously good eats.

It's begging for meat and cheese!

Hey hey hey. Just because I post whore doesn't mean some of my posts aren't quality..........I had a WIN just the other day with the Rickroll Nirvana post AND who said I stopped post whoring? ;)

That looks awesome IGG. I'm still not sure about the win on the Rick-roll thing though. Maybe half a win for Nirvana...

Back