• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patricks 2012 Pepper Grow Log

Here we go again! Time is just jetting by and it's hard to believe it's time to get started again. It is though and ain't that wonderful!

I may be moving this summer so going small this year. Here's what I got started tonight:

7 Pot Brain Strain x 4
7 Pot Congo x 2
7 Pot x 3
Armageddon x 2
Bengal Naga x 3
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel color x 6
Not the Black Naga x 2
SB7J x 4
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x 10
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x 6

The seeds are in coco coir in 3 oz dixie cups. They will be covered and on a heat mat with the temp set at 84F.

DSC014391600x1200.jpg

Thanks for the welcome Patrick. The pod looks great. I have some funky looking leaf curl too. Its been raining almost everyday here. One of my trinidad scorps does not have even so much as a bud on it but its like three feet tall. My other trini scorp only has one pod. Its frustrating to say the least.

Hey, Patrick, good to see your glog back in the rotation.
You still have some great stuff going on, bro.
Looking forward to more fun!

Bootsieb are you talking about the 7 Pot Chaguana's? I have one plant still growing but it's small and no buds/flowers as of yet. Still time though.

I've been thinking, and may have even said it once or twice, that the heat and dry summer we've had is cranking up the SHU's in the peppers. I believe I had some confirmation. I sent a volunteer a TS Butch T pod from one of my plants and he ate it and did the video thing. I've never seen a pepper of mine treat someone so bad! Figures I would have an off year. Still got some plants wanting to produce so I haven't give up hope yet.

When the shakes started I began to feel really bad about sending the pepper to the guy. He assured me it was OK. He's going to be over here soon as he now wants to start growing his own. God bless them chiliheads!

Your poor friend. Oh my goodness. It took me days to eat one butch T With food and It was so freaking hot I had to take breaks in each meal to cool off.

I know I felt bad about sending it to him. He reassured me he had fun so that's that.

Meatfreak I don't think yours stayed true. Curious as to heat and flavor of them.

Chris those look darn near perfect! Sure can't hope for anything better now, not from such an early beginning. Outstanding! Thanks for the update man.

Update time.

Season is pretty much a wash due to the mites and probably tobacco leaf curl virus. Not 100% that's what it was/is but someone with more smarts than me suggested it. There are a few plants trying to make a comeback but it's getting late in the season here, next weeks temps are going to be in the 70's/80's which isn't the best for superhots. Frustrated? Yep a little. Still had fun doing it. I was able to pick a few pods which is always nice. I get as much joy watching the plants grow as I do picking ripe pods. I may have learned something too who knows.

I took a few pics to show everyone what I'm talking about with the virus. First are plants that are not getting better.

This is a TS Butch T. I was able to get a few pods from it early in the season. Better than nothing.

DSC023902300x1725.jpg

See how small and curled the leaves are? A large portion of them turned yellow and fell off. Despite the looks it has a few flowers and a couple of small pods growing on it.

This is an unknown--I think it's an Infinity but not sure. I did get a few pods from it.

DSC023772300x1725.jpg

Same story as the previous one.

Here's TS Chocolate that is mounting a comeback.

DSC023912300x1725.jpg

Lot of new growth, leaves and buds.

Best plant. Not sure what it is, I don't remember losing this many markers ;) . It's full with lots and lots of buds, flowers and a few small pods. Hoping for a long late summer.

DSC023782300x1725.jpg

I had no idea on how to deal with the leaf curling virus. It bites not being able to do anything and what did I have to lose so I gave it a shot. In a quart bottle filled with water I put a squeeze of Dawn dishwashing soap and about a tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide. Mixed well and then sprayed the plants from head to toe. I have no idea if it helped but I did see improvement in a few plants. At least it felt like I was doing something to help.

I may try to keep a couple growing through the winter, producing pods if I'm lucky. I say this every year and usually get things set up. Then the bugs show up and I get ticked and do 'em all in bugs and plants.

Patrick.I too was fighting the leaf curl as well. I think it has to do with the extreme heat as well. But we will never really know. I have also been told it is from too much water so I don't have a clue. Either way now that the temps are staying in the high 80 's plants are starting to fill out again . Check you mailbox later this week. Might be something to hold you over for a few days ;)

Too funny Millman (but you're probably right). Ha!

Thank you Jamie. I hope the temps stay up for another month, like last year. I was pulling pods in November if I remember right. Crazy.

Nice comeback with the plant issues........we had a mild winter with no killer frosts, followed by a Hot Dry Summer. Its perfect conditions for whiteflies, mites and thirps..........I also had a few mite damaged plants that pulled through. I should have discarded them but they were one of a kind (SBJ7).......and a few.island varieties. I hope your season ends the day you have to put the Xmas stuff up.............ha
Patrick,...Good luck to the "what's left of the season"...............it feels like its down hiil from here.............Where did it go?

Greg

Agreed Stefan.

Greg thanks for the well wishes. It does feel like downhill doesn't it? Good way to express it. Time just screams by anymore. My pops always told me the older you get the faster it seems to go by. I'm hoping the next 58 years go slower than these first 51. :P

Tis the end of the season I'm afraid. Not too disappointed to close the book on this year though. Just when you think you're getting this pepper growing thing figured out something new comes along to remind you you're not as smart as you think you are. Not as smart as I think I am is what I mean.

Temps got real close to freezing this morning and the weather guessers are saying mid 20's tonight/tomorrow a.m. Just finished collecting anything with decent size. I can see a green sauce in my future.

DSC024392300x1725.jpg

Thanks to all who stopped by to comment. Hope your season went well and for our south of the equator folks best of luck to all of you on your growing seasons.

It is always sad to see you Northerners grow come to an end. Hopefully next year will be betther than this. I know you have seen this but I thought I would share with thre rest of your followers. Your one and only SBJ7

IMG_3928.jpg

hey Pat my friend

congrats on your nice harvest. why dont you store the green pods in a box with some bananas and sliced apples? you will see after some days the peppers will mature even the seeds become viable

talk to ya later
embraces

Back