• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patricks 2012 Pepper Grow Log

Here we go again! Time is just jetting by and it's hard to believe it's time to get started again. It is though and ain't that wonderful!

I may be moving this summer so going small this year. Here's what I got started tonight:

7 Pot Brain Strain x 4
7 Pot Congo x 2
7 Pot x 3
Armageddon x 2
Bengal Naga x 3
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel color x 6
Not the Black Naga x 2
SB7J x 4
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x 10
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x 6

The seeds are in coco coir in 3 oz dixie cups. They will be covered and on a heat mat with the temp set at 84F.

DSC014391600x1200.jpg

Lookin good, nice legs......I managed 84 transplants and then had to take off and go to work for 3-4 weeks...about 1 set of lights short too.Oh well, if they live through a few weeks of wife "care", they'll be some tough little buggers. I'm sure I'll end up doing a second run,as a few types refused to germinate inside my time limit:chocolate bhut/yellow 7 cross, douglah/TS Morouga cross, PDN, Orange Bhut Jolokia and Primo 7's. Gonna move the show inside next year......
cheers-
DJ

Thanks guys.

Beehunter, I do love the wheels. When your space is limited like mine being mobile is a huge advantage.

Matt, I'll go up to one gallon pot per plant then when they're ready to harden off I'll put them in their final pot, a five, seven or a couple of huge pots I have.

DJ- sounds like you know what you want and I wish you the best.

Neat table, Patrick! Should be really convenient.
The plants look great under the lights.

I tried germinating a few seeds via the damp paper towel method and had some success. This first one is a Scotch Bonnet Red and you can see all of the little fuzzy root hair on it. Cute.

DSC01605.jpg

I believe this one is a Thai hot.

DSC01606.jpg

It went right through both layers of paper towels. I ended up trimming as much of the paper towel off that I could but still ended up burying part of it.

I also started another five Infinity seeds as the previous ones are not fairing well and a new to me 7 Pot, the 7 Pot Chaguanas. I understand it's named for the city in Trinidad where it came from. The seeds were purchased from Beth at Peppermania.

My question with the wet paper towel method is when do I bury and how do I bury the seedlings??

This method really seems to work for a lot of people on here. So I wouldn't mind trying it.

Hi Patrick,

Nice looking set-up and plants look good too!!! Using PVC too...makes sense to me. Anyway buddy it looks like your doing ok with everything--keep up the great work,,,,,Mike

Nice going Patrick. You've joined many others that now perform ungodly out-of-soil germination.

I like to use coffee filter medium, less chance of roots gone wild--3 layers in the bottom of a cup. Place seeds on top, no sandwich, strictly missionary. LOL.

My question with the wet paper towel method is when do I bury and how do I bury the seedlings??

This method really seems to work for a lot of people on here. So I wouldn't mind trying it.

Pretty much up to you. I like to place them in the dirt when the root peeks out. An eight of an inch is fine. I fill a 3 oz cup 3/4's full with coco coir. Make a small hole about an 1/8th of an inch down and place the seed in it with the root pointed down. Then I add another 1/8" of substrate and pack it down lightly. Water slightly and done!

I've seen some of Millworkman's towel germinated seeds with cotyledons already showing so I believe you can plant them at about any time.

Good luck!

Update time. First the not so good news. I found some more larvae of some type of gnat I think. Went through a few seeds and found the seed embryo half eaten or totally gone. I was able to see the larvae but they are much smaller than the previous fungus gnat larvae and there were more of them per seed. Tiny bastages. Had the 'scope at 70X and could only see them when they moved. So I ended up going through 36 cups with seeds in them and only saving a few. I've seen one very small gnat in the grow room the past several days so I'm freaking confused. Time for the Mosquito Dunk. Can't take the chance the darn things aren't chewing on roots of the seedlings.

I've been starting seeds the past couple of weeks to make up for the ones not germinating using the paper towel method with some success. I'm hoping to have plenty of peppers for this season's grow.

The larger plants are coming through the fert overdose and looking much better with the exception of two of them. Those I ended up flushing with water so we'll see how they do. I did lose a lot of smaller leaves along the bottom of the stems on several of the others.

Ok photo time.

These are the seedlings that came from the paper towel germinated seeds. I need to set up another light or two tonight to accomodate them. There is a light right above the center row that I'm holding out of the way.

DSC016311600x1200.jpg

Looking from the front left. I have 28 plants in the 20 oz cups so far.

DSC016421600x1200.jpg

And a few close ups.

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. Gallon milk jug behind them for size comparison.

DSC016331600x1200.jpg

Couple of Caramel BJ's. The one in the middle was started two weeks after the other two.

DSC016401600x1200.jpg

Couple of Cappy's 7 Pot Brain Strain plants.

DSC016391600x1200.jpg

Bengal Naga

DSC016361600x1200.jpg

That's all for now.

Hey Patrick,

The series of photos looks quite encouraging despite the bad news with the pests. I see what your're doing with one solo cup in another. With the tight fit of the 2 cups do you get enough air to the roots? Does the bottom of the soil stay damp?

Greg

Thanks Greg, I'm keeping a good attitude.

I put a couple of styrofoam packing peanuts between the cups to create some space for the excess water. They also keep a bit of space between the cups along the sides. I put a pea size hole on four sides of the inside cup. I've been doing this for a few years now and never had a problem with wet roots.

The red cup specimens look really happy Patrick, you just answered the question I was gonna ask..2 cups no need for trays, and you can pour out excess water as well with out moving em all,draining tray.....hmm. I will steal this idea-extra bug barrier too for me, as they are in the shed in similar vented styro cups.
I hope the skeeter dunks do the trick for you-sucks you got bugs inside somehow(hitch hikers in growing medium?-thats where mine came from last year).

Patrick your plants look great.
How old are the brains and bengal naga's?
And can you tell me more about the Bengal's?
I have never heard of that one.
Thanks
Jamie

Thanks guys.

gnslngr, steal away dude. Pretty sure it wasn't an original though on my part.

Jamie, the Brain Strains and Bengal Nagas are 49 days old today. That's from the day the seed was put into dirt. As for the Bengal Naga I'm afraid I don't know much about it. The seeds were a gift from a friend.

Thanks megahot.

Patrick, same excuse I've given everyone else I've been so busy with work, church and now peppers that I'm just not catching up on some Glogs including yours. Awesome stuff and you've got me pondering something.How many solo cups can you put in a standard nursery flat the 1020's do you know? I'm getting ready to pot up alot of plants and have been trying to decide on their containers. I've been thinking about 3.5 top x 2.5 bottom x 5.0 tall pots but isn't that about what a solo cup is? How do they work for you ? You got a good mix of plants and they are beautuful! You got it going on my friend! Looking forward to exchanging seeds with you next season :whistle:

Back