• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Fatalii is my all time favorite. Glad You are able to get some harvest. !! Every pod a victory!!
Hey Denniz, how ya doin' my friend?
I've been pleased so far.  Here in PNW
a big harvest isn't a sure thing, but then
every region has it's unique issues, so we're all
in the same boat!  Every pod is a victory, and a gift!

Devv said:
Glad to see you're getting nice harvests Paul.

I'm sure the weather will hold and you'll pull a bunch more.
Love the positive attitude, brothah!  i was just looking
at last year's grow log, and I was still harvesting at the
end of October.  Maybe we'll be lucky again this year   :pray:
Today is nasty, but a day or two of sun each week would
go a long way to finishing off the season.  There's still a
lot of ripening going on.

Thanks for the visit, Scott!

Looking awesome Paul! I'm a fan of those yellow 7's as well. Very nice plants, I love the way the pods looks and they have a nice flavor with a lot of heat. Your yellow 7 is looking very nice! Having that more permanent greenhouse is nice for you. My plastic one is packed away. I saw yours and thought of taking it back out, but that would mean packing it away in the snow and I don't think that would work.

Pulpiteer said:
Looking awesome Paul! I'm a fan of those yellow 7's as well. Very nice plants, I love the way the pods looks and they have a nice flavor with a lot of heat. Your yellow 7 is looking very nice! Having that more permanent greenhouse is nice for you. My plastic one is packed away. I saw yours and thought of taking it back out, but that would mean packing it away in the snow and I don't think that would work.

Ditto on yellow 7, Andy! If I could only grow 4: MoA's, Ramon's JA Red Habs, Yellow 7's and yellow fatalii.

Really ingenious grow, Paul! And yes; was surprised by heat of Bonda Ma Jacques and taste. Like love the greenhouse and score on T5's!

Devv said:
Ones got to stay positive when gardening!

Ya never know what's going to get thrown at you.
You are right about that, Scott!  Right now it's wind and rain getting thrown.
Yesterday afternoon was nice, but I think we're in the rain pattern for a while here.  
At least ripening is proceeding, albeit slowly.  I have taken the proactive step of
trimming all my bushes back to one node above the last pod on every branch,
and removed all the teeny pods and flowers.  Now the pods are pretty exposed,
but I don't think I need to worry about sun scald here at the monent   :rofl:

These pics were taken midway through the pruning process, two days ago, before
removing all the growing tips and small pods and flower buds.

Gint White Habanero.  Starting to make good headway toward ripening.  
There re several more ripe/ripening pods on the plant this morning:
_DSC0499a_zps64a8ea5d.jpg

Pulpiteer said:
The Y7 has been a winner.  Early producer, and it looks like every pod on the plant is going to ripen!  It's a good
one from Trippa's vaults.  Definitely on the grow list next year!  The next pic is for you, Andy.  The Trinidad Red
SB isn't going to set any pods either, but I will try it again next year, too.

Yellow Scotch Bonnet from Andy's 2012 harvest (Pulpiteer).  A late start just to see if I could get the bonnets
to grow here.  Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to see a ripe pod by the time the first freeze gets here.
I will definitely give it another try next year, though, with an early start:
_DSC0498a_zps81e82daf.jpg

Congo Trinidad Yellow from Pia's (Sanarda) 2012 harvest.  Both it and the Congo Trinidad Red
really struggled this year.  I just don't think they liked their space very well.  However the CTY
set two awesome pods early on, before dropping every flower all season long.  I can't wait for
a) a taste test and b) growing them out next season!  Thanks, Pia!
_DSC0504a_zps79a5f54d.jpg

annie57 said:

Ditto on yellow 7, Andy! If I could only grow 4: MoA's, Ramon's JA Red Habs, Yellow 7's and yellow fatalii.

Really ingenious grow, Paul! And yes; was surprised by heat of Bonda Ma Jacques and taste. Like love the greenhouse and score on T5's!
Thanks, Annie!  Your short list is a pretty good one!  If my MoA's hadn't tanked, I'd have three of
those in my grow!  The greenhouse has been a godsend for sure.  The plants in there now don't
get any more sun, but they are out of the wind and rain, and the temp swings are mellower.

Scotch Bonnet TFM from Tristen's (Trippa) 2013 harvest is a very interesting bush.  Not a bonnet,
but a cross of some kind.  Many of the big pods look like hot air balloons - big on top then pinched
and tapering a bit on the blossom end.  Some of the pods are growing little stingers on them, and
all are bumpy, but not quite brainy.  They are tasty and go great with steak or fish.  I've been eating
about an eighth of a pod with dinner nightly.  A numbr have started ripening in the past two days:
_DSC0500a_zps946f271a.jpg

The Devil's Tongue is another one that struggled early then pulled itself out.  Since pruning
back the extraneous growth, the ripening has geared up a little, I think.  Like the others, there
are more ripening pods than there were two days ago:
_DSC0501a_zps5edcbad4.jpg

Thanks for visiting, my friends.  Hope you have had a good week and are ready for a great weekend!

Devv said:
Beautiful plants Paul!

If only we could trade, I'd send 10° warmer and take 10° cooler. I would also like to offer some sun for trade, rain is always welcome here ;)

Have a great weekend!
I'd be happy to do that!  I spent a little time in Nagadoches
one summer, so I have an idea of what you are facing!  Today,
we'd need an extra 20˚ from y'all - 53 for a high today.

We're having a warmer than average fall so far. We're 10° over the norm, so you have a deal on the 20°!

Now if we could get this to work! :surprised:

Devv said:
We're having a warmer than average fall so far. We're 10° over the norm, so you have a deal on the 20°!

Now if we could get this to work! :surprised:
I'll be right here when you get that dialed in   :lol:
Managed a little bit of a harvest on the 27th.  This is the third pull; hoping for one or two more.  There are still
some plants with lots of pods to ripen up.  I pulled some of these due to the heavy rains we re having to keep
the pods from splitting.  Several had little cracks in them:
_DSC0507a_zps27c70977.jpg

Here are a few highlights from the bunch.

There are some mean stinger pods still left on the bush to ripen up:
_DSC0513a_zps17be80bf.jpg

A closer look at the stinger pod:
_DSC0512a_zpse9e6523e.jpg

This one is a great producer:
_DSC0516a_zps0820d8c0.jpg

The first ripe pod.  Am praying for some more to ripen soon - there are literally a hundred on the plant. 
Same for the Bih Jolokia:
_DSC0511a_zps6c7e1d09.jpg

These are the only two pods this plant produced this season, but they are beauties:
_DSC0508a_zpsfe60704c.jpg

One of the best plants in the pepper patch this season:
_DSC0520a_zpsca0bbd92.jpg

This bush is just starting to ripen up in serious.  I hope there is still time:
_DSC0521a_zpsc195b1c2.jpg

I have a few more to resize, then I'll post them up.  I think cutting off the extraneous growth has helped to
kick the plants into a sense of urgency with regard to ripening up the pods.  It may be my imagination, but
it sure seems like they have picked up the pace in the past few days.  Maybe they would have anyway.

Great pics, Paul!  This nasty storm is no way to end September.  It looks like next week shows signs of promise.  I'm hoping for just a bit more ripening time!  My Fatalii x Red Savina are also doing well, but they are light red.  There are a few pics in some of my recent posts.  Hope the end of you season goes well.

Beautiful pods Paul!

So the cool weather that we're supposed to get this weekend (just a breeze here) came from your way?

hottoddy said:
Great pics, Paul!  This nasty storm is no way to end September.  It looks like next week shows signs of promise.  I'm hoping for just a bit more ripening time!  My Fatalii x Red Savina are also doing well, but they are light red.  There are a few pics in some of my recent posts.  Hope the end of you season goes well.
Thanks for the bump, Todd.  You're right about this little blow.  So far no peppers blown over thanks to the cages.  We've had 1.2" in our back yard today, and some gusts of 35-40 mph.  The NWS says about 2.5 to 3 inches more out of this storm.  We'll see.  Splitting pods may be an issue - will check close tomorrow.  I think we will see some more decent weather.  It's actually a little warmer in general than my recorded temps for last Sept.  I was harvesting pods well into October last year.  Good luck going into the Fall - I'll check out your log to see how it's going.

Here's a few more harvest highlights.

Still putting out great pods:
_DSC0517a_zps206f4da4.jpg

Don't know what happened to the exposure on this one:
_DSC0518a_zps28c617e8.jpg

These are just starting to ripen up:
_DSC0523a_zpsbbc50977.jpg

There's a tiny stinger nestled in the folds of this pod.  Many on the plant have small stingers on then:
_DSC0522a_zps396586a8.jpg

This is a pretty productive bush, as well, as is the red hab:
_DSC0524a_zpse5e65618.jpg

Okay, that's it for now.  Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Devv said:
Beautiful pods Paul!  Thanks, my friend!  Nature does a pretty good job for the most part!

So the cool weather that we're supposed to get this weekend (just a breeze here) came from your way?
That is a distinct possibility, Scott!
Now, where is the sun you promised?

Back