• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

Thanks, Buddy!  I'm not sure how hard I'm kickin' it, but
I can't complain about the season so far.  Hope your got
a season.  If I remember right you were moving?

I cut the pappers back before the wind and rain hit, so they
survived the 4" (so far) and 35+ mph wind gusts in good 
style.  Lots of pods showing color and ripening up.  We
are in an improving weather trend for a few days so some
sun breaks will be much appreciated.

When I cut the peppers for drying, I found internal proliferations in five of the pods.  I had heard
habaneros were prone to that, but hadn't seen this kind of evidence for them.
_DSC0525a_zpsd4f764d7.jpg

Here are some photos of the seeds I started on Aug. 6, just to keep track of how they are doing.

Goat's Weed (stc3248 2012).  These plants are 45 days old from germination.  The one in the middle is
from the original seed Shane sent.  That plant was pinched before I remembered to take a photo.  The
other two are from my harvest 2012, and ere cut back after this picture was taken:
_DSC0526a_zpse6fdca94.jpg

Yellow Aji, also 45 days old.  The tall plant is from the original Peruvian Market seed I got last year.  It has been pinched back, as well..  The others are from my harvest seed 2012:
_DSC0528a_zps05b177a5.jpg

Wild Texas Tepin (THSC), 41 days from germination.  All are growing in a sort of bent configuration - must be a genetic trait.  Perhaps a reaction to the T-5 lights?:
_DSC0530a_zpsf48a3a27.jpg

Orange Manzano (stc3248 2012), 43 days from germination:
_DSC0531a_zpsb532c6d9.jpg

WalkGood said:
Holy pods ... awesome job Paul! Totaly bitchin mon, great photo's and such beautiful colors \o/
Hey Ramon!  Thanks for the visit, my friend!
We should get a few more before the Fall is over.

Ausmith said:
Paul has one of the best looking back yards/gardens.... Cheers
You are too kind, but thanks very much!

:cheers: 

Nice looking harvest shots Paul!  It's funny, I never see orange habs on these glogs, so I had to double take.  Hope the weather holds out for a few more harvests!

Hi Paul,
   Nice pulls you've been having lately, and great technique for steering the plants toward ripening. I'll have to remember it when I grow some Bhuts next year.
I like all the Chinense varieties that grew true for me this year, but I think I like the Yellow 7 the best. It was easily the most productive... I got about two and a half pounds of pods from that one plant, and I loved the smooth, fruity taste along with good heat.
   Wow! you really are giving some of those plants an early start! I don't know if the Ajis and Goat's Weed peppers need such a headstart, but it's probably a good idea for the Manzanos and Tepins. Good on ya!

Pulpiteer said:
Nice looking harvest shots Paul!  It's funny, I never see orange habs on these glogs, so I had to double take.  Hope the weather holds out for a few more harvests!  Same for you, my friend! 
Thanks, Andy.  You know, of all the habs, the orange and red are my least favorites. 
The red ones are beauties, though!  I think next year, my habanero selection will be 
limited to Giant White, Peruvian White, and Pointed Yellow, in favor of some more 
super hots from pods you and others sent last season, along with some Scotch 
Bonnets and some Yelllow varieties I grew this year.

I think there is at least one more harvest i the works.  With luck and a bit of a nice
October, we could get a coup;e of more and maybe some sporadic late pods.  
Greenhouse plants will go longer, so might get some pods out of there.

Good luck winding down your garden this Fall, Andy!

stickman said:
Hi Paul,
   Nice pulls you've been having lately, and great technique for steering the plants toward ripening. I'll have to remember it when I grow some Bhuts next year.
I like all the Chinense varieties that grew true for me this year, but I think I like the Yellow 7 the best. It was easily the most productive... I got about two and a half pounds of pods from that one plant, and I loved the smooth, fruity taste along with good heat.
   Wow! you really are giving some of those plants an early start! I don't know if the Ajis and Goat's Weed peppers need such a headstart, but it's probably a good idea for the Manzanos and Tepins. Good on ya!
Howdy Rick.  I did a little google search the other day and found a bunch of sites discussing 
Fall pruning, including a couple on THP.  All pretty much said the same thing. that the trimming 
speeds the ripening process.  We'll see, but it looks good so far.

I really started this round of seeds to assuage my conscience after the 2-4-D debacle     :rofl:    The
Yellow Aji's can take a long time to ripen in our climate here.  Last year, I started them in January, and
they really didn't ripen until Oct/November.  The Goat's Weed will probably be flowering in my grow
shelf by Spring!  They should be nice and bushy after the pinching.  I fully expect to OW the Manzanos
and Tepins.

You really turned in a stellar grow, my friend!

In like your idea of starting them early, that way they're running at full speed when you can put them outside. I intend to test a similar theory here next season, but my issue is the heat. I want a crop before the 100° weather hits, not after.

I had several Hab's do the pod in a pod thing, very interesting to find those tiny peppers.

BTW you plants look stellar!

Have a great week!

Devv said:
In like your idea of starting them early, that way they're running at full speed when you can put them outside. I intend to test a similar theory here next season, but my issue is the heat. I want a crop before the 100° weather hits, not after.

I had several Hab's do the pod in a pod thing, very interesting to find those tiny peppers.

BTW you plants look stellar!

Have a great week!
I think if I lived down there, I'd be growing from late Fall
through Spring.  How hard would it be to keep something
going over the winter there?

PaulG said:
Thanks, Andy.  You know, of all the habs, the orange and red are my least favorites. 
The red ones are beauties, though!  I think next year, my habanero selection will be 
limited to Giant White, Peruvian White, and Pointed Yellow, in favor of some more 
super hots from pods you and others sent last season, along with some Scotch 
Bonnets and some Yelllow varieties I grew this year.

I think there is at least one more harvest i the works.  With luck and a bit of a nice
October, we could get a coup;e of more and maybe some sporadic late pods.  
Greenhouse plants will go longer, so might get some pods out of there.

Good luck winding down your garden this Fall, Andy!
Thanks Paul,
I've been thinking about my habaneros as well. I really like the Harold St. Barts, and peach habs so I may just grow those. It'll be an easy way to cut back on varieties - since my grow list gets out of control...

PaulG said:
I think if I lived down there, I'd be growing from late Fall
through Spring.  How hard would it be to keep something
going over the winter there?
That's my goal for next season, I only kept the grow going because I wanted to get the supers to produce. You know when they get around 5 feet tall and still just a hand full of pods...one wants to see some action, it's finally happening.

Usually I'm done in the garden come early July, then I move to the wood shop. This year with everyday watering from June and still doing it, is getting old...

If one's not afraid to move them in when it's cold no problem at all. Last Jan. we had three weeks of warmer weather and I left them outside for the whole time. The average "cold weather" here is a 3-4 day front where highs are 40°- 50° and lows can be 27°- 35°. We might get 4-5 of these during a cold year. Last year during Christmas break we had the only real cold front come through.

Have a great week!

Wow Paul!!! Great harvests and early starts!!! With your TLC and those new fangled T-5's those Ajis and Goat's Weeds and Manzanos will be trees you can hang ornaments on for Christmas!!! Especially the Aji...those things really climb fast! Amazing grow for your relatively late start...looks like next year you'll be planting out fully grown plants with some poddage already on them. Will be a real fun one to watch...especially all the mad scientist stuff that happens during your indoor/greenhouse grows. Can't wait!!

Pulpiteer said:
Thanks Paul,
I've been thinking about my habaneros as well. I really like the Harold St. Barts, and peach habs so I may just grow those. It'll be an easy way to cut back on varieties - since my grow list gets out of control...
I can relate to that, Andy!  I'm still debating about the Chocolate Habaneros.  Love those big, brown pods!  
Speaking of, here are the first four pods off the choco hab I started on April 2 - big and juicy:
_DSC0533a_zps2c227730.jpg

Devv said:
That's my goal for next season, I only kept the grow going because I wanted to get the supers to produce. You know when they get around 5 feet tall and still just a hand full of pods...one wants to see some action, it's finally happening.

Usually I'm done in the garden come early July, then I move to the wood shop. This year with everyday watering from June and still doing it, is getting old...

If one's not afraid to move them in when it's cold no problem at all. Last Jan. we had three weeks of warmer weather and I left them outside for the whole time. The average "cold weather" here is a 3-4 day front where highs are 40°- 50° and lows can be 27°- 35°. We might get 4-5 of these during a cold year. Last year during Christmas break we had the only real cold front come through.

Have a great week!
Sounds like out winters here, except I'm imagining we get a bit more rain with it.  A few winters ago we had two weeks of below 27˚F with lows of 17.  That was pretty tough on the yard and garden!  Sounds like it's reasonably doable to grow year around there with a little shuffling.  You need a greenhouse to enjoy the upcoming weekend in, my friend!

I had to pull a few more pods to keep them from water logging and spitting.  We're forecast for a few mostly
sunny days with no rain, so I'm hoping for a big harvest in a few days.

Lots of ripening pods on this plant:
_DSC0535a_zps31803ebf.jpg

The green Scotch Bonnet TFM cross is from Trippa - I knocked it off the plant by accident:
_DSC0534a_zps0f2000d4.jpg

Also from Trippa:
_DSC0536a_zps10113230.jpg

stc3248 said:
Wow Paul!!! Great harvests and early starts!!! With your TLC and those new fangled T-5's those Ajis and Goat's Weeds and Manzanos will be trees you can hang ornaments on for Christmas!!! Especially the Aji...those things really climb fast! Amazing grow for your relatively late start...looks like next year you'll be planting out fully grown plants with some poddage already on them. Will be a real fun one to watch...especially all the mad scientist stuff that happens during your indoor/greenhouse grows. Can't wait!!
Hey, Shane!  The lights have made a big difference.  Cal't wait to start some seedlings under those from the get-go next season. I'm trying to select the Aji's for a less rangy growth habit.  It's elusive so far, although the smallest of the Aji's looks like a contender.  I guess starting these plants this time of year is an experiment in itself to see if the grow shelf can support their growth for that much time!  Thanks for checking in, Shane.

Still lots of pods left to harvest on this one:
_DSC0532a_zps0b21c0aa.jpg

This is the first decent pod off the CTR this season.  Very disappointing:
_DSC0538a_zps3b8d4c21.jpg

Okay, guess that's all we get this time around.  These pods are finishng up in the dryer at this mment.
Hope everyone is ready for a great weekend!

Dang Paul, those Chocolate Habaneros look mighty tasty brother!  Those Pointed Yellow Habaneros look kind of like Aji Limons, wonder if their related...  Nice pull you have there.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
nice photos paul... the YP hab looks similar to the aji limon/pineapple.. hows the taste on them?

RocketMan said:
Dang Paul, those Chocolate Habaneros look mighty tasty brother!  Those Pointed Yellow Habaneros look kind of like Aji Limons, wonder if their related...  Nice pull you have there.

Hey, Denniz, and Bill!  You guys think alike!  Thanks for dropping in.
One of the other forum folk said it looked similar to a yellow lantern as well.
These pods are small and immature - the mature pods are larger and pointier.  I really
don't know the history of the plant - it was given to me by Spankycolts last year and he
called it a Pointed Yellow Hab.  They are pretty hot, not numbing, but have a good kick.
I can't really describe the flavor.  Better than a red hab.

Devv said:
Glad you're still pulling Paul!

Beautiful pics and pods! So my sunshine wishes made it? LOL

The weekend is so close I can taste it!
The weekend is here, brother   :party:
Yes, the sunshine made it here.  Way to go.  We are looking at mostly
sunny and low 70's for two days!  We will get back to showers and partly
sunny after that, but it will be better than the five inches of rain we got
with the gusty winds the past week!  I will go for another harvest in the
next day or two or three, edepending on how long the weather holds.  
We have had lows of 38-41˚F the past four nights, so Fall is definitely in the air.

GA Growhead said:
Pods look beautiful!
Your giant whites looks like they mated with a TS cardi yellow in it's past! Cool shapes!

Sawyer said:
One of my giant whites looks like that.  Two others are more of a creamy white.
Another pair of fine minds thinking alike!  Another of Spankycolt's plants
from last year - don't know it's source either  My neighbor grew out some
of the seed as well, and his pods have stingers, too, so maybe it really is
more of a Cardi Scorp.  I'm cool with that.  There are some outrageios
pods on the plant; really pulling for a mass ripening on that one!  Not worried
about the color, I have a Peruvian White Bullet Hab for the white color!

Sawyer, are the pods on your creamy white version s large as the yellows?
If so they would be awesome pods!

PaulG said:
Sawyer, are the pods on your creamy white version s large as the yellows?
If so they would be awesome pods!
Yes, they look pretty much the same, just a creamy white instead of a yellow-orange.  On the other hand, looking back at your picture, mine may not be as large.  They are about the size of a half dollar.  My TS Yellow, 7P Yellow, and Yellow BS are all larger.

Edit:  You can see a picture of the white GWH in the last picture in this post in my log.

Sawyer said:
Yes, they look pretty much the same, just a creamy white instead of a yellow-orange.  On the other hand, looking back at your picture, mine may not be as large.  They are about the size of a half dollar.  My TS Yellow, 7P Yellow, and Yellow BS are all larger.

Edit:  You can see a picture of the white GWH in the last picture in this post in my log.
Those are great looking pods, indeed, Saw man - I like the habanero
type pods.  Now to get a white pod with scorpion traits!

Back