• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Jeff H said:
I envy your winters. Warm enough to keep the greenhouse growing. It is about 15 degrees here. No greenhouse could survive that without a ton of additional heat. 
It takes a little space heater to keep the temps at the level that the plants
like.  On those 10 and 12 degree nights, it did run a little more.  The green-
house is pretty efficient for what it is, and the space heater can keep it warm
enough without running all the time, just intermittently, but it certainly isn't
climate controlled!  With nights hovering around freezing these days, it can
stay at low 50's with not too much of a problem.  I'd prefer not to have to use
the heater at all, of course!

Devv said:
Wow Paul! Winter Manzano's?

Keep it green my friend!
It's a good thing the Manzanos like cooler temps!
Can't wait to get the OW's outside in some decent weather.

maximumcapsicum said:
Looking good Paul! Soon you'll get to put the OWs outside and shift into a higher gear.
I can't wait for that day, Adam!  They will pretty much be in the greenhouse until
April or May.  Our 50% frost date is on April 13.  The 50% 36 degree date is May 9
and the 90% date is May 29, so it can be a crap shoot when it comes to putting plants out.
I will be carting them in and out for hardening off, and the new plants will go into the
greenhouse in March sometime, so the round one plants will be about 3 months old at that time.

But once June gets here, look out world, here they come!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Those Manzanos should bury you in pods this year.  Definitely something to winter over every season.
Man, am I ever looking forward to that possibility.  This will be my third attempt 
after late starts, too much sun, and catastrophic error, so I feel like I'm due!

PaulG said:

Man, am I ever looking forward to that possibility.  This will be my third attempt 
after late starts, too much sun, and catastrophic error, so I feel like I'm due!

On my second attempt myself. I have a spot picked out in my yard that only gets direct sunlight for 4 hours or so and then a tree provides filtered sunlight. I had Chinense plants there last year since it was the overflow part of the garden and those were leftovers, but it just might be the perfect home for the monzanos and rocotos. 

It's all about timing, timing, timing and of course Ma Nature needs to work with you some too. And as mentioned the right amount of light. Sunshades really help down here...

This will be my second go at them as well.  I grew them in 2012 only to have two pods with one too small to mature and the one that was close fell off.  My first plant this year popped in September if I remember and time will tell.  Only growing them this season because I saw a yellow pod and it was awesome looking.

With their long lifespan, I see no reason not to OW the plants during that entire time.  I might not even do a cut back on mine.

Any update on the heat and flavor on the winter Manzano? Puzzling that your last GH one didn't have much heat??? My Manzano is an unintentional overwinter thus far...still alive through countless frosts. Looking very unhappy, but alive none the less??? I guess I will keep watering it and see what happens.

maximumcapsicum said:
Everything is a gamble, no? Put them out earlier, for potential greater gains but risk of cold? Or later and play it safe, but risk unripe fruits? A delicate balance, a deadly game.
A gamble for the plants, at least!  I'm not sure it's deadly game for us, maybe for them.
We get so invested in their success.  They are, after all, just vegetables.  
Devv said:
edIt's all about timing, timing, timing and of course Ma Nature needs to work with you some too. And as mentioned the right amount of light. Sunshades really help down here...
"Ma Nature needs to work with you some to"
You said a mouthful there, Scott!

As a matter fact, I think you said it all!
HillBilly Jeff said:
This will be my second go at them as well.  I grew them in 2012 only to have two pods with one too small to mature and the one that was close fell off.  My first plant this year popped in September if I remember and time will tell.  Only growing them this season because I saw a yellow pod and it was awesome looking.

With their long lifespan, I see no reason not to OW the plants during that entire time.  I might not even do a cut back on mine.
I think that at least for the PNW that is right on.  
They need to be ready to rock when Spring comes!
maximumcapsicum said:
I'm sure you're going to be buried in the monzanos and rocotos this year...
That is the hope, My friend!
stc3248 said:
Any update on the heat and flavor on the winter Manzano? Puzzling that your last GH one didn't have much heat??? My Manzano is an unintentional overwinter thus far...still alive through countless frosts. Looking very unhappy, but alive none the less??? I guess I will keep watering it and see what happens.
I don't think you can go wrong, Shane.   They an survive the cool temps!
My Feb. pods last year  just didn't have any heat having been grown in cold temps.
We'll see this year   ;)

I haven't harvested the winter manzano yet, there are three more on the vine.  
I'll  be sure to post my impressions. 

Just sort of a micro-update at the moment.  One of the aerogarden seeds sprouted on the 18th.  This is a Mystery Romy6 x Goat's
Weed that Stc sent.  The others he sent haven't shown anything, yet.  I went ahead and started some of the same thing in Jiffy
pellets just to be on the safe side.
_DSC1129a_zpscd05086a.jpg

Spiced up some slices of Manchego Cheese with a few powders for snacks during yesterday's games.  From left to
right, Tuca Chocolate ?, DocnRock Yellow Peach Blend, Pinoy's Smoked Mix, and some red Fatali/Savina.  Ummm,
good!  What a treat!  
_DSC1126A_zpsbe4a68d2.jpg

The rest of the pods on the OW Manzano are starting to ripen.  This Plant has a more yellow than orange coloration.
Am going to wait a while longer to harvest so I can be sure of viable seeds:
_DSC1134a_zps57e74688.jpg

MoA Bonnets.  These are about 13 days from showing hooks:
_DSC1133a_zps78ebaadc.jpg

I know it's not much news, but things are moving slow here in PNW!  

the mini update was great. I have a couple of monzano peppers growing in the grow room, but nothing like your ripe ones in the GH. Mine are still smaller than a dime so far. 

Devv said:
Plants look great, the MoA's growing really nice! And the Manzano pods, just can't beat that. I'm so hoping I can get a few to cooperate here.

Powder on cheese is a wonderful idea. I just love Provolone, sliced real thin, gonna have to powder some!
Thanks, Scott.  Everything just sort of on cruise control for the moment.
I'm really hoping for some Manzano pods sometime in the summer rather
than January/February!

The cheese and powder combo is one of my favorite ways to sample the grinds!

Jeff H said:
the mini update was great. I have a couple of monzano peppers growing in the grow room, but nothing like your ripe ones in the GH. Mine are still smaller than a dime so far. 
Thanks, Jeff.  Those Manzanos will bet there, bud!
By Spring they will be ready for  Prime Time!

WalkGood said:
Great updates Paul, all da plants look great and super impressive little MoAs ... wait till they take off, I'm sure you'll be impressed with their stature, look & taste.

Hab a great week \o/
Thanks, Ramon.  Good week to you, too, brother!

I am really looking forward to growing the MoAs.  At least one will go
into an 18 gallon container, so it can get big if it wants to!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Those things are growing fast from hooks.  I only have one pepper that grows that fast and that was the peter pepper I got up for the first time this season.  Nice looking grow!!!
Thanks, Jeff.

I have to give credit to the T5HO light units.  
Plants didn't grow this fast under my old T12s.

Here's a list of what I started in the Jiffy pellets on the 18th.
* means also started in the aero garden on the 9th:
*Romy6 Mystery x Goat's Weed
*Datil (Romy6)
*Roco Pica (Pr0d/Stc)
*Charapita (Stc)
*Chacoense (Pr0d/Stc)
Giant White Hab (Sawyer)
Fatali/Savina Yellow, 3rd gen.
New Mexico Chiles (neighbor Pete)
*Bird's Eye HTM (Trippa)
*Galapagoense (Pr0d/Stc)
We'll see how this start-up compares to the aerogarden start-up.

Back