• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

9 days for the Mystery Cross...about par. The rest of the ones I sent will probably take 2-3 times as long. Patience my friend! Those are some notoriously slow starters. You'll end up with twice as many now, because you'll make them all pop!

Oh damn...look at that TOPS!!!

Nice start to your grow.  Those OW looked good with the thick trunks and new growth ready to go. 

Can't wait to see how the Aerogarden goes.  I tried a DIY one in my first season before I knew anything and it went pretty well until it was destroyed :P

Will be following your progress. :)

stc3248 said:
9 days for the Mystery Cross...about par. The rest of the ones I sent will probably take 2-3 times as long. Patience my friend! Those are some notoriously slow starters. You'll end up with twice as many now, because you'll make them all pop!

Oh damn...look at that TOPS!!!
You are the tops, buddy!

Good to know about the Mystery Cross.  Assuming it's an annuum?  
We'll see how long it takes in the Jiffy pellet   :think:

I'm willing to wait on the aerogarden seeds, didn't want to have all
my eggs in one basket jic!  It's a good excuse for a little experiment!
megamoo said:
Nice start to your grow.  Those OW looked good with the thick trunks and new growth ready to go. 

Can't wait to see how the Aerogarden goes.  I tried a DIY one in my first season before I knew anything and it went pretty well until it was destroyed :P

Will be following your progress. :)
Thanks a bunch, Moo!  Aside from the aphids coming and going
the OW's are doing pretty well for the most part.  The cold and
sunny days have meant temps in the greenhouse are in the 70's
in the late afternoon; the plants think it's Spring, unfortunately,
and really want to grow.  Plus they are using more water.

Your grow is looking good, mate!
romy6 said:
 Looking good Paul. :fireball: Thanks, my friend!

You will be amazed how fast the plants grow in the aero.

And remember to change out the water every two weeks :)
I'm looking forward to some results from the aero, Jamie.
I hadn't heard that about the water.  Isn't it kind of hard without
tipping the whole unit upside down?  The directions just said
keeping it full is good, as far as I can remember.  I'll have to
did the instructions out of the box and take another look.  Maybe
I missed something.

I am only going with what Jericson said( not in the aero book ) . I had some wrinkled up leaves and he said he changes the water out every 2 weeks.  It is a pain but you can't mess with his results so I am sticking with it.  :rolleyes:  Plants seem happier with some fresh water and fresh nutes.  :fireball:

Nice work ln the aero pop Paul. Maybe you could (I am not sure how difficult it would be with the design of the aero units) rig yourself a sealed plastic tap (like the ones you get on plastic home brew buckets) in the bottom of the unit to drain ?? Might seem like sacrilidge but you have the man cave to figure it out in :D

Everything looks solid Paul! Glad to see that it's all coming together. I can empathize on the long germ times. you stay strong and i will to!

The tap on the aerogarden sound like a great idea!

PaulG said:
Ripe Manzano in the greenhouse.  It won't have any heat if my experience last winter holds true.  One
of these seasons, I'll get some manzanos in the summer!:
_DSC1119a_zps1502765c.jpg

Sawyer hit me with a nice surprise in the mail.  Thanks, John!!
_DSC1121a_zps5ccc30cd.jpg

My mexican neighbor stopped by with these.  The bag said New Mexico Chiles.  
I think they are called Pasillo, but could be wrong on that one:
_DSC1122a_zpsf37a4101.jpg

Looking mighty good there Paul! I'm jealous of your greenhouse. That's awesome that you are able to OW the Manzanos in it.

Regarding your pod above, I agree it is a "Pasillo". Here's a description from one of my books:
"In Spanish, pasilla means "little raisin", an allusion to the dark brown pods of this type. In Cali, the ancho is sometimes called pasilla, causing much confusion. (Anho is a dried Poblano). In western Mexico is is sometimes called chile negro, a term that also refers to the darker anchos. In the fresh form, the pod is known as chilaca.

Pasillas are annuums. The flowers have white corollas with no spots. The pods are extremely elongate, cylindrical, furrowed, and measure six inches long by an inch wide. This type is not particularly pungent measuring between 1000 to 1500 SHU."

romy6 said:
 I am only going with what Jericson said( not in the aero book ) . I had some wrinkled up leaves and he said he changes the water out every 2 weeks.  It is a pain but you can't mess with his results so I am sticking with it.  :rolleyes:  Plants seem happier with some fresh water and fresh nutes.  :fireball:
You are right, Jamie, it's hard to argue with success like Jericson has!
I thinking a guy might be able to siphon the water out with a small rubber
hose or some surgical tubing, rather than tip the whole thing over.

I'll let the wilds go for three weeks to a month in the aerogarden to see 
if they pop for me.
Trippa said:
Nice work ln the aero pop Paul. Maybe you could (I am not sure how difficult it would be with the design of the aero units) rig yourself a sealed plastic tap (like the ones you get on plastic home brew buckets) in the bottom of the unit to drain ?? Might seem like sacrilidge but you have the man cave to figure it out in :D
Not a bad idea.  I'll try the siphon first, just to avoid having to operate on the aero tank.  
Would be an easy enough fix if the Oklahoma credit card doesn't work.
maximumcapsicum said:
Everything looks solid Paul! Glad to see that it's all coming together. I can empathize on the long germ times. you stay strong and i will to!

The tap on the aerogarden sound like a great idea!
Thanks, Adam.  Nice to know we're in this together!
Just part of the territory with chinense and baccatum
(and other) species, I guess    ;)
Devv said:
Can't wait to see the results Paul!
You'll be among the first to know, my friend!
I'll be playing catch up to your grow all season long!
jakeb said:
How does one add the pepper to the cheese? Do you just melt the cheese and add it?
maximumcapsicum said:
I'd assume you could actually just sprinkle the powders on top. The expert will chime in shortly I bet.
I just sprinkled the powder on the slices, but my neighbor and I have been shooting
the breeze about finding a local cheese maker and seeing if he  or she could make
some awesome spicy cheese for us when the fresh pods come in.  I love pepper
jack and other spicy cheese, but a yellow 7 or a JA Red Hab cheese would be to die for    :drooling:

We also thought about your idea, but the seperation of the oil when the cheese is warmed
would be ugly   :sick:   Velveeta or American process cheese might work though.  It would be
worth a try!

Now the experts can weigh in   :lol:
Capsicum Select said:

Looking mighty good there Paul! I'm jealous of your greenhouse. That's awesome that you are able to OW the Manzanos in it.

Regarding your pod above, I agree it is a "Pasillo". Here's a description from one of my books:
"In Spanish, pasilla means "little raisin", an allusion to the dark brown pods of this type. In Cali, the ancho is sometimes called pasilla, causing much confusion. (Anho is a dried Poblano). In western Mexico is is sometimes called chile negro, a term that also refers to the darker anchos. In the fresh form, the pod is known as chilaca.

Pasillas are annuums. The flowers have white corollas with no spots. The pods are extremely elongate, cylindrical, furrowed, and measure six inches long by an inch wide. This type is not particularly pungent measuring between 1000 to 1500 SHU."
Thanks for the info, Cap Select.  
we were at a restaurant once and they had a display of dried chilies,
and they had some like this but dried much more severely - wrinkled
in a major way.  The Chef called them Pasillo peppers, so that's the
extent of my knowledge.

I do know about New Mexico Chiles cuz one of the PNW crew goes
down to Hatch, NM every year and brings back coolers full of them.
Maybe they are the same thing?

Looks like everything is going swimmingly here, Paul.  I thought you might like to know, I've got several hooks and seedlings from one of the Orange Manzanos you sent, as well as from the Orange Locoto and Bahamian Goat.  I started the day with 10 hooks and seedlings and last time I looked a couple of hours ago, I was up to 27 (including some other varieties).

Thanks, John - Last I looked the ship was pulling out with your grow;
sounds like things are starting to ramp up.  That's a pretty quick growth
in hooks in a short time.  I can't wait to see everything at plant out!

Very glad to hear that the seeds are doin' their job for you.  You must
speak their language, buddy!  

PaulG said:
Thanks for the info, Cap Select.  
we were at a restaurant once and they had a display of dried chilies,
and they had some like this but dried much more severely - wrinkled
in a major way.  The Chef called them Pasillo peppers, so that's the
extent of my knowledge.

I do know about New Mexico Chiles cuz one of the PNW crew goes
down to Hatch, NM every year and brings back coolers full of them.
Maybe they are the same thing?

To add just a little to this conversation I'll chime in. I was looking through some recipes that called for Pasillo peppers so I added them to my grow list this year. The specific variety I bought was called pasilla bajio. The pics looked very much like the pic you posted.

Hatch chilis, the way I understand it, are essentially Anaheim type peppers. CPI has several varieties that they have made that range form mild to rather warm (for an Anaheim). I'm growing two types this year. A standard Anaheim I think I got from Judy and these that I got from CPI.

There is yet another similar pepper called a Mirasol. I threw that on the grow list too for the heck of it. All of these except the standard Anaheim are new to me. I'll report on them in my glog later tihs year.

Just to add to the conversation about the bajio.  I grew them two years ago and they go well in any tomato dish.  The only drawback I found was they get dark green relatively soon, but it takes them a long time to turn over to that dark brown color.  I was pushing frost with a lot of them.  Not a lot of heat to them, but a lovely enhancement to your tomato dishes.  Medium to large plant.  Mine were not super bushy.

Jeff H said:

To add just a little to this conversation I'll chime in. I was looking through some recipes that called for Pasillo peppers so I added them to my grow list this year. The specific variety I bought was called pasilla bajio. The pics looked very much like the pic you posted.

Hatch chilis, the way I understand it, are essentially Anaheim type peppers. CPI has several varieties that they have made that range form mild to rather warm (for an Anaheim). I'm growing two types this year. A standard Anaheim I think I got from Judy and these that I got from CPI.

There is yet another similar pepper called a Mirasol. I threw that on the grow list too for the heck of it. All of these except the standard Anaheim are new to me. I'll report on them in my glog later tihs year.
Looking forward to seeing how they compare, Jeff!
Thanks for the info!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Just to add to the conversation about the bajio.  I grew them two years ago and they go well in any tomato dish.  The only drawback I found was they get dark green relatively soon, but it takes them a long time to turn over to that dark brown color.  I was pushing frost with a lot of them.  Not a lot of heat to them, but a lovely enhancement to your tomato dishes.  Medium to large plant.  Mine were not super bushy.
I hope the seed I have are viable just to see
how they turn out - thanks for sharing this.

PIC 1 said:
Paul I'm glad to read you're off to a great start in the PNW.
That's a smexy photo of the tasty  Manchego and the powder variance. .....................hiding the Ritz Crackers....... :D  Hey, I like Ritz   :rofl: 
Best of luck with the rest of your startups.
Thanks for the visit, Greg!

Had some Red Fury with some meat loaf and again with some
sliced roast beef.  Awesome, brother.  Even my neighbor thought
it was hot!  It's pretty good just on tortilla chips, too!
I'm working my way through the bottles one at a time.
Opening up each one is like a Christmas present!  Thanks, again amigo.

Devv said:
We grew the Pasilla last season, it did well here. Plant size held with the larger Jal plants. Good amount of pods that turned dark brown-black.

Keep it green Paul!
Thanks Devv.  Sounds like a popular pepper variety!

Got a little sump'n sump'n from Trippa in the mail yesterday...

TA-DA!!
_DSC1135a_zps5a0fcb6c.jpg

All varieties I don't have yet!  I'm going to grow out the F1 and F2 mystery crosses and the Fish Pepper for sure.
I'll start the Rocoto Aji Largo in the Fall for OW in the greenhouse.  I won't start quite so early as I did this year! 
And tuck the rest away for next season!  Thank you very much, Tristen - what fun!

Speaking of pubescens, here are a couple of canopy shots of the Manzanos I started in the
grow shelf in August.  I may have to prune them back before Spring gets here!  Seems like
they are starting to grow faster, and need some fertilizer.   I think I'll put them in a shady spot
in a raised bed at plant out time:
_DSC1137a_zps643dcaff.jpg

_DSC1138a_zps202a2e5c.jpg

The Peruvian Yellow Ajis have really grown.  Here's the canopy of one of them.  The other two are equally as robust.
That's a Goat's Weed in the lower right corner:
_DSC1136a_zps4b5660c6.jpg

Back