• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Here we go, Round I plants out for some sun.

Red Bhut Jolokia (Spankycolts 2nd gen.), 2 x 7 Pot burgundy (Sawyer):
_DSC1331a_zps11d9c0fa.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM (Trippa 2nd gen.), 2 x NagaBrain (Windchicken pods):
_DSC1327a_zpsdd03b55b.jpg

BrainStrain (Romy6 2012), 2 x Giant "White" Habanero (Spankycolts, 3rd gen.):
_DSC1329a_zps8e77d74b.jpg

2 x Romy Mystery cross Goat's Weed (Stc3248), Orange Manzano (Stc3248 2012):
_DSC1332a_zps53e9a397.jpg

Reaper (Sawyer), Funky Reaper (Sawyer), Indian Carbon (MGold 2012):
_DSC1330a_zpsa5acfa78.jpg

Douglah (Alfanerdz/Stickman), Not White Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Sawyer), Primo (MGold 2012):
_DSC1328a_zps01341ce7.jpg

Time to pot up the Yellow Ajis started in August; you can see the finished
pot-ups in the last post on the previous page - the plants on the deck, front row:
_DSC1335a_zpse50f5fe6.jpg

Okay.  We've had a couple of great days, and it looks like one or two more before cooler , cloudier days
and warmer nights set in again, and the plants have to live in the greenhouse.  At least this time of year,
there is a good chance of a sun break or two to warm up the greenhouse in the afternoons.  Will put the
peppers out again tomorrow and do a few more pot-ups.  Pics when I get a chance!  Hope everyone's
weekend is going well…

Glad to see your babies doing so well Paul! I hope the Annuums are doing as well, and I'll try not to be jealous of your spring weather... ;)  Continued success brother!

Super looking plants Paul!

Glad it's been nice enough for them to get some fresh air and sun, but the only bad thing about that is the hauling of the plants. I know, I did my share ;)

Your Manzano has a nice upright growth pattern; the ones I have going are going to be wide gals!

Have a great week!

Love your plants Paul! And it looks like they are having no trouble with the outdoors transition.

My plants are going to start hitting the dirt on Thursday I think. Maters first then peppers probably on Sunday. It's still a little cool but they're too crowded and stressed in here.

You gonna move any into the dirt soon?

Looking good - and once again those greenhouse shots are great.  You get a lot of mileage out of that.  It's about this time of year that your climate difference really stands out from ours here.  The star magnolia was beautiful!

stickman said:
Glad to see your babies doing so well Paul! I hope the Annuums are doing as well, and I'll try not to be jealous of your spring weather... ;)  Continued success brother!
The annuls are dipng pretty well, both aerogarcen and jiffy pellets.  Will try to
get a pic or two up this week.  Hope you are thawing out a little, Rick!

HabaneroHead said:
Unbelievable how nice plants you have, my friend!
What are you planning to do with the pods?

Balázs
Thanks, Balázs!  I usually just make powder out of them and
give a bunch away.  No special plan, yet.

Devv said:
Super looking plants Paul!

Glad it's been nice enough for them to get some fresh air and sun, but the only bad thing about that is the hauling of the plants. I know, I did my share ;)

Your Manzano has a nice upright growth pattern; the ones I have going are going to be wide gals!

Have a great week!
I hear ya about the hauling back and forth!  This Manzano had a real spreading
habit before I chopped it back to the main stem, and that is what grew out!

Hope you had a productive weekend, brother!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plants are looking awesome man.  You will be swimming in those Aji pods this summer.
Thanks, Jeff.  I hope so - I didn't get any Ajis last season, and I missed 'em!

maximumcapsicum said:
Love your plants Paul! And it looks like they are having no trouble with the outdoors transition.

My plants are going to start hitting the dirt on Thursday I think. Maters first then peppers probably on Sunday. It's still a little cool but they're too crowded and stressed in here.

You gonna move any into the dirt soon?
Thanks Adam!  The plants are digging a day or two in the sun, all right.
Good on ya for getting into the dirt this week!  Good luck with the plant out!

I'm a good six to 8 weeks until plant out.  Maybe more depending on the weather.

Pulpiteer said:
Looking good - and once again those greenhouse shots are great.  You get a lot of mileage out of that.  It's about this time of year that your climate difference really stands out from ours here.  The star magnolia was beautiful!
Thank you, my friend!  The greenhouse has paid for itself for sure.  Our Springs are
usually decent, but we have a lot of chilly, rainy weather to get through before the Summer
gets here.  We get some teasers now and then, like the last three or four days!

Just one final shot - Getting ready to relax in the sun with the peppers!  Hope everybody has a great week!
deck-shelf-pana_zps421e49bc.jpg

Wow!!! I'm speechless!!! I missed sooooo much!!

Haven't been up check on the glogs lately... I guess it's that busy time of the year for everyone.

All your plants look amazing! I'd be happy if mine look half as good as yours. I love the thickness in each one of them.

Glad to see all the ladies getting used to the elements and getting ready to start pumping pods.

I see an golden season for you!! :cheers:

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Wow!!! I'm speechless!!! I missed sooooo much!!

Haven't been up check on the glogs lately... I guess it's that busy time of the year for everyone.

All your plants look amazing! I'd be happy if mine look half as good as yours. I love the thickness in each one of them.
Thanks, Walt.  All the credit goes to Mother Nature!
Glad to see all the ladies getting used to the elements and getting ready to start pumping pods.

I see an golden season for you!! :cheers:

-Walt
Hey, Walt, I can relate to your predicament.   I am way behind on visiting blogs myself.
So far so good for this season.  I'm hoping to get through another 6-8 weeks with no
mishaps and then plant out.  But, if it's like the past two seasons, plant out won't be
until June!

Jeff H said:
Nice update Paul. Love the shot of the back yard. room for tons of peppers there. :dance:
Thanks, Jeff.  If I were the only person living here, there would be many more pepper spaces!
I figure on about 50-60 plants this year.  Going to have to farm a few out to the neighbors.
Hope everything is on an even keel for your grow.

romy6 said:
 Stellar my friend. Would not expect anything less out of you  :party:
You are too kind, Jamie!  I have been lucky this year for sure.
How's that pepper-pumpin' aerogarden wwowwrkin' for ya?
I'm just getting the hang of it myself; there is a pic below.

meatfreak said:
Stunning plants, Paul and I love your garden!
Thanks  for the good vibe, Meatie!  If you are ever in the Portland area…   ;)

Portuge said:
Amazing shelf that you have supporting all of those green capsicums Paul...
Hey, James!    The shelf has gone through several permutations in the form of
add-ons (roof and sun shades) since I first built it, but it has been a very
useful fixture for hardening off the peppers.

Here's the latest on the aerogarden vs. Jiffy pellets experiment started on 3/1.  
Dates in parentheses are the hook dates.  The Hot Fish has not sprouted in
either one, and the Costeño Amarillo only in the Jiffy Pellets.

First the aerogarden.  There are 5/7 sprouted.  Back row - Marconi Rosso (3/9), Sweet Hungarian Paprika (3/9), Hot Fish,
Giant Jalapeño (3/22).  Front row - Chili costa Rica (3/22), Costeño Amarillo , Inca Lost (3/17).  The two large ones will be
transplanted to cups in a couple of days:
_DSC1349a_zpsc053f64d.jpg

Here are the Jiffy starts - 6/7 sprouted.   They were put in cups as soon as cotys appeared.

Marconi Rosso (3/7):
_DSC1347a_zps3558273d.jpg

Sweet Hungarian Paprika (3/8):
_DSC1346a_zpse9970ff6.jpg

Giant Jalapeño (3/12):
_DSC1344a_zps84df638c.jpg

Chili Costa Rica(3/10):
_DSC1343a_zps0a8ff125.jpg

Inca Lost (3/7):
_DSC1342a_zps45e05ccc.jpg

Costeño Amarillo (3/23):
_DSC1350a_zps75e12c5c.jpg

Pretty interesting so far.  I'd say the nod goes to the Jiffies at this point for speed of germination.  The
aerogarden starts seem to grow better after they get established a little.  You can decide for yourself.

Penny said:
LOVE the backyard Paul, plants look great! :dance:
Thanks, Penny.  Your tomato seeds go into the Jiffy pellets in the next couple of days!
Do you soak your tomato seeds before sowing?

I am on round two brother Paul . Have 6 plants outside  about a foot tall and budding .  Also have second round almost ready to hit the great outdoors. I will update my Glog one of these days  ;)

Looks like you got it down for sho !!!!

I'm switching to pro mix outdoors this year and extra perlite because of all the rain we had last summer, have you tried that yet?

Back