• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Penny said:
Excellent.....keep me posted. ;)
Will do   :)  What about soaking the seeds?

romy6 said:
 I am on round two brother Paul . Have 6 plants outside  about a foot tall and budding .  Also have second round almost ready to hit the great outdoors. I will update my Glog one of these days  ;)

Looks like you got it down for sho !!!!
All right, Jamie.  Sounds like you have it goin' yourself!

meatfreak said:
Thanks for the offer, Paul. For now I won't be in the neighborhood anytime soon :lol:
I sort of figured that   :D

Devv said:
Looking good!

Glad the jiffy's worked out well for you!
They seem to be working pretty well, Scott.  The Aerogarden is great, too.  I need to find a better
basket arrangement that doesn't get all bound up in the roots so I can leave them in the aero longer.

jedisushi06 said:
I'm switching to pro mix outdoors this year and extra perlite because of all the rain we had last summer, have you tried that yet?
I use 1/3  horticultural pumice in my outdoor soil mix, along with peat moss, compost, recycled
potting soil and steer poo since we do usually have a lot of rain here.

Your plants are looking great, Paul.  I'm so far behind, I'll never get caught up, but at least most of my plants are alive.  Desperately in need of potting up, though.

Sawyer said:
Your plants are looking great, Paul.  I'm so far behind, I'll never get caught up, but at least most of my plants are alive.  Desperately in need of potting up, though.
Thanks, John.  Plants all alive?  Sounds like a winner!

Good luck getting to your potting up...

My hot fish pepper seeds I sprouted most recently Paul did take an age around 4-6 weeks (I had actually given up on them) but put it down to my sprouting setup at the time. None of them sprouted until I put them on the window sill and gave them fluctuating temperature's due to sun/night cycles and no additional bottom heat... I read an article that said fluctuating temps are needed to break some capsicum seeds dormancies ... Sorry that's all I can offer on them ...sorry to hear they didn't eventuate for you. :(
I will be saving another lot of seeds from this round of plants as it looks like the germination % might be dropping .. I will get some new ones to you in time for next season. Have you got any left from the original lot I sent you

Trippa said:
My hot fish pepper seeds I sprouted most recently Paul did take an age around 4-6 weeks (I had actually given up on them) but put it down to my sprouting setup at the time. None of them sprouted until I put them on the window sill and gave them fluctuating temperature's due to sun/night cycles and no additional bottom heat... I read an article that said fluctuating temps are needed to break some capsicum seeds dormancies ... Sorry that's all I can offer on them ...sorry to hear they didn't eventuate for you. :(
I will be saving another lot of seeds from this round of plants as it looks like the germination % might be dropping .. I will get some new ones to you in time for next season. Have you got any left from the original lot I sent you
Hey, Tristen, thanks for that.  I will let them keep germinating at least for a couple of weeks more.
I think I saved a couple of the seeds.  Will keep you posted, buddy!

Penny said:
I have never soaked any of my tomato seeds, and have always had excellent germination success. :dance:
Okay, Penny, that's good enough for me!

Paul you're having a stellar season so far. Its appears by looking at the outdoor photos in your local there's actually Spring in the air. The temps are still in the 20's here. I'm ready to pack up the sweaters and bring out the Summer clothes.......positive thinking

PIC 1 said:
Paul you're having a stellar season so far. Its appears by looking at the outdoor photos in your local there's actually Spring in the air. The temps are still in the 20's here. I'm ready to pack up the sweaters and bring out the Summer clothes.......positive thinking
Thanks, Greg.  The nights were around 28-33 a few days ago, now we are
in the mid 40's. We've had three days with daytime highs over 60, so I guess
we at least know there might be a Spring!  I almost put on shorts the other day   ;)

I can't believe the crazy winter you have had back there.  Our daughter is living in 
D.C. and she is tired of the snow and cold!

Well that explains it....60's during the day, the plants are basking in the sun (probably feels in the 80's to them)....ha

The weather here has been brutal. I picked up a few bags of Pro-Mix from a home center, they're stored outside...and frozen, felt like concrete.

I see the East coast is still getting whacked with the cold...no sign of Spring here in the near future.

Jamison said:
PaulyG! Everything looks so green. Plants outside is a sight for sore eyes! Keep doin what your doin brotha!
Thanks, buddy!  Yes, the little sun we've had is a great sight, indeed!

PIC 1 said:
Well that explains it....60's during the day, the plants are basking in the sun (probably feels in the 80's to them)....ha
It does seem to perk them up a bit!

The weather here has been brutal. I picked up a few bags of Pro-Mix from a home center, they're stored outside...and frozen, felt like concrete.

I see the East coast is still getting whacked with the cold...no sign of Spring here in the near future.
Our Springs are really pretty mild with the occasional freeze
and tons of rain which make outdoor planting problematic.
Here's a look at the last 7 days, which are pretty typical in 
the range of temps.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=pqr&sid=KHIO&num=168&raw=0&dbn=m

I can't imagine a winter like you've had this  year.  Yuk!

I'm heading to the snowy hills for a couple of days, so will check back in sometime Monday or Tuesday.
Have a good weekend everyone!

looking great pauly.....and i see your having fun with your new toy, be warned, you might get the denniz disease with that toy... :hell: :hell: :hell:

Pinoy83 said:
looking great pauly.....and i see your having fun with your new toy, be warned, you might get the denniz disease with that toy... :hell: :hell: :hell:
Thanks, Jericson.  It is fun!  
Oh, no, the Denniz Disease!  
Heaven help me!!!

Hi everybody.  Sorry to be absent so much, but nice weather keeps me away from the computer.
I can either get work done or make blog pages   ;)

Here's a bit of an update.  I'm also working on an aerogarden vs. jiffy pellet set for later in the week.

We've had a few nice days, so plants out for some sun.   This is every plant save 5 or 6 OW's:
_DSC1386a_zpsd207e4e9.jpg

A droopy, thirsty Manzano and a Goat's weed.  These are plants started last August and wintered over, as are the 3 Ajis in the seven gallon
Root Pouches above:
_DSC1388a_zpscac82775.jpg

OW Manzanos and an OW Fatali:
_DSC1387a_zps7f95cac8.jpg

Here's a sneak preview of the aerogarden vs. jiffy pellet exposé.  
These are Inca Lost plants.  The one on the left from the aerogarden, 28 days old.  
The one on the right from a Jiffy pellet, 37 days old.  Definitely some real differences here.
The aerogarden plant suffered a bit on transplant due to root hacking to separate from the
basket, but is recovering nicely.  I will have 4 or 5 comparisons to show later in the week.
_DSC1405a_zpsa33a6275.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well and having good grow success.  Spring is coming, I just know it!

PaulG said:
Hi everybody.  Sorry to be absent so much, but nice weather keeps me away from the computer.
I can either get work done or make blog pages   ;)

Here's a bit of an update.  I'm also working on an aerogarden vs. jiffy pellet set for later in the week.

We've had a few nice days, so plants out for some sun.   This is every plant save 5 or 6 OW's:
_DSC1386a_zpsd207e4e9.jpg

A droopy, thirsty Manzano and a Goat's weed.  These are plants started last August and wintered over, as are the 3 Ajis in the seven gallon
Root Pouches above:
_DSC1388a_zpscac82775.jpg

OW Manzanos and an OW Fatali:
_DSC1387a_zps7f95cac8.jpg

Here's a sneak preview of the aerogarden vs. jiffy pellet exposé.  
These are Inca Lost plants.  The one on the left from the aerogarden, 28 days old.  
The one on the right from a Jiffy pellet, 37 days old.  Definitely some real differences here.
The aerogarden plant suffered a bit on transplant due to root hacking to separate from the
basket, but is recovering nicely.  I will have 4 or 5 comparisons to show later in the week.
_DSC1405a_zpsa33a6275.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well and having good grow success.  Spring is coming, I just know it!

Errybody's looking like they're ready to shine Paul! Good job with your starts. Glad to see you've planted some of the seeds I sent and that they look so happy. The Cheiro Recife will stay short and bushy, but will put out a surprising number of dime-sized pods. In Brazil they pickle them, but I think they make good powder as well.. just don't torture yourself and feel you have to remove all the seeds when you dry them. I just cut them in half and put them on the dryer trays like that, and then straight into the grinder. Cheers!

Plants are all looking real good Paul. Are they outside permanently yet or are you still dodging the occasional freezing night?

Everything is looking good Paul. can't wait to follow the aero / jiffy test. I have my money on the  :shh:  I will let you fill in the blank  ;)

Looking great Paul!  I've got some manzanos overwintering here too. I'm really excited to see them in their second year.  Yours look great - like they are ready to really take off! 
That shot of your plants all getting some sun is awesome!  Spring is coming.

Plants are looking really healthy Paul!

I see a stellar season in the making.

I like the comparison you showed, the Aerogarden plant looks way ahead at this point.

Keep it green!

Back