• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Looking very nice Paul!! Those are the first f2 pods I have seen... They certainly are much blunter... Will be interesting how they finish up ... My latest round of plants (which include the f2s) have been stalled (deliberately) inside away from my other plants due to ongoing mite and possible fungal issues ... I think it is looking like a completely new grow is needed and scrub down of equipment using brew sanitiser. Anyway as for the guess nice try but off the mark!! ;) Paul your plants are looking great all round this season ... Can't wait to see how those crosses turn out for you.

Hey, Paul, glad you had a good trip.  Show us some pictures of Alaska!

Good to see you're getting some production, too.  Those NWYBJs don't look right to me, but maybe that's just because they are early season pods.  Given it's some sort of cross or throw-back, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if they aren't true to type, though.  Hopefully someone growing them will get the preferred phenotype.  Mine are still a ways out from producing, but at least they are in the ground growing.  They were the first I planted out and bugs (or something) stripped them pretty severely, ala Spicy Chicken-style.  I lost three of the ten, but the other seven are starting to put out new leaves now.  They're pretty puny, but hopefully they'll play catch up now that they aren't the only target in the garden.

Nice update Paul! Love seeing all those pods!

Plants hung in there well while you were vacationing.

Glad you had a good time!

Trippa said:
Looking very nice Paul!! Those are the first f2 pods I have seen... They certainly are much blunter... Will be interesting how they finish up ... My latest round of plants (which include the f2s) have been stalled (deliberately) inside away from my other plants due to ongoing mite and possible fungal issues ... I think it is looking like a completely new grow is needed and scrub down of equipment using brew sanitiser. Anyway as for the guess nice try but off the mark!! ;) Paul your plants are looking great all round this season ... Can't wait to see how those crosses turn out for you.
You are right, Tristen.  As the plants mature, the pods may yet evolve a bit.  

I'm really sorry to hear about the mite problems ongoing.  That's a tough
row to hoe.  On the other hand, when you finish, you will finally have it off
your back.  I'll be happy to provide any seeds you need/want for the new
start-up.  

We have been blessed with good growing weather in May and June this 
season.  the past two seasons, the June weather has been cool and rainy.
If our luck holdout, we should do well here this year.  Thanks for the positivity,
Tristen!

jedisushi06 said:
How's it going?
It's taken me a few days to get back on track after vacation!
Sawyer Glacier from Tracy Arm fjord:
IMG_0917a_zpse5af69f6.jpg

Sawyer said:
Hey, Paul, glad you had a good trip.  Show us some pictures of Alaska!

Good to see you're getting some production, too.  Those NWYBJs don't look right to me, but maybe that's just because they are early season pods.  Given it's some sort of cross or throw-back, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if they aren't true to type, though.  Hopefully someone growing them will get the preferred phenotype.  Mine are still a ways out from producing, but at least they are in the ground growing.  They were the first I planted out and bugs (or something) stripped them pretty severely, ala Spicy Chicken-style.  I lost three of the ten, but the other seven are starting to put out new leaves now.  They're pretty puny, but hopefully they'll play catch up now that they aren't the only target in the garden.
Yeah, it's important to remember our grow season is only really starting here in
the PNW.  All the pics are of early baby pods and I can't wait to see some real
mature pods forming.  Some plants are starting to get into that mode a little.  
Glad to hear that yours are bouncing back.

Devv said:
Nice update Paul! Love seeing all those pods!

Plants hung in there well while you were vacationing.

Glad you had a good time!
Thanks, Scott!  My neighbor took good care of them.  I'll post a pic of him with our ground powders tomorrow.

KevinH said:
Paul Have you used a hoophouse and a light bulb to over winter here in Oregon? 
That might be doable if it is sealed tight though to keep in the heat on cold nights.  I wouldn't
trust it without a few test runs to see if the temps stayed warm enough - at least the mid 40's.  
I have a greenhouse kit with a space heater for OW.  I try to keep the temp at 50˚.  It held
pretty well even when we had the teens and low 20's this winter.

chile_freak said:
Very nice plants Paul, great looking setup!!
Thanks, CF; I always say it's a work in progress   ;)

stc3248 said:
Nice update Paul! Very cool you got a couple Manzanos blooming this early in the season!
Thanks, buddy!  I hopeful for my first real Manzano crop this season.  The little first year plant is
indeed setting pods - I found several tiny ones last night, and all three are at least beginning to
flower.

I'm aware of seeing more ladybird beetles and larvae this spring.  Have seen them on quite a few pepper plants:
DSCN0230a_zps0e6a2ee9.jpg

Here are some more early pods - still babies, but giving some sense of what's ahead!

Datil - Romy6 pod 2012:
DSCN0231a_zps6e6601c5.jpg

Douglah - Alfanerdz via Stickman:
DSCN0240a_zps016631e4.jpg

Two NagaBrains - Windchicken.  I thought difference in the color was interesting; the pods Gary sent me were reddish-
orange. Will be fun to see what finally develops with them.  Even these baby pods have a slight nubbly look to them:
DSCN0235a_zps1a40061c.jpg

DSCN0236a_zpsdc91a5ed.jpg

Primo - MGold pod 2012:
DSCN0233a_zps3b7ed1e6.jpg

7 Pot Burgundy  - Sawyer.  What a beautiful plant, John:
DSCN0241a_zps95a4fbcd.jpg

Not Black Pearl, 3rd year plant - THSC.  Once again, loaded with pods.  
My favorite ornamental powder:
DSCN0246a_zps47e2d14d.jpg

C. galapagoense - Stc3248, canopy.  Taking it's time to flower, and growing slowly.  Are we on track here, Shane?
DSCN0245a_zpsd39205db.jpg

Okay, that's my allotment for today.  Will go grab a few more images this afternoon.  Hope everyone is off to a good
start this week!

maximumcapsicum said:
I can see why the black pearl is your favorite. Would make a great bonchi too!

Your grow looks great. Baby pods don't look so baby.
I'm thinking the same thing, Adam!  Maybe when it nears the end of it's
producing life, I'll try to keep it going as a bonchi!

Some of the pods are starting to take on some mature characteristics;
they have my juices flowing.  the little ones I've tasted so far show great promise!

Thanks for the look!

Douglah - Alfanerdz via Stickman:

DSCN0240a_zps016631e4.jpg

Douglah is looking super Paul! The lower pods look like small early-season runts, but hope it warms up to the point that you get the classic "Pinched-in" look on the bottoms of the later pods.  How are the Chiero Recife pods looking about now?

Great lookin' grow you got going on here. Liking the canopy shot of your galap, and of course the glacier photo is pretty spectacular.

PaulG said:

That might be doable if it is sealed tight though to keep in the heat on cold nights.  I wouldn't
trust it without a few test runs to see if the temps stayed warm enough - at least the mid 40's.  
I have a greenhouse kit with a space heater for OW.  I try to keep the temp at 50˚.  It held
pretty well even when we had the teens and low 20's this winter.

OK Paul thanks... I will be the tester this winter..

stickman said:
Douglah is looking super Paul! The lower pods look like small early-season runts, but hope it warms up to the point that you get the classic "Pinched-in" look on the bottoms of the later pods.  How are the Chiero Recife pods looking about now?
Thanks, Rick!

There are a lot of strange shapes on the Dougie  :lol: maybe the warmer
summer ahead will help it decide what it wants to do!

No pods on the Cheiro Recife - lots of flowering and dropping so far.  We
should be seeing some soon, just about  everything else is setting pods!

The plant itself is very healthy looking - dense and bushy!  Will get an
image tomorrow.

AaronRiot said:
Great lookin' grow you got going on here. Liking the canopy shot of your galap, and of course the glacier photo is pretty spectacular.
Thanks, Aaron - it's a pretty plant.  The foliage is very soft and light green.

AK is a pretty awesome place.  Will try to post another pic shortly!

KevinH said:
OK Paul thanks... I will be the tester this winter..
Keep me posted!

Devv said:
Nice update Paul!

Glad to see all the poddage and pretty plants! Looks like another stellar season!

You can post pics of Alaska anytime, it's on my list one of these days....

OCD Chilehead said:
On my list as well. Funny I was just talking about that today after work. Great pics Paul and nice podage. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, brothers, here's to success all around  :cheers:
Here's a young Brainstrain - Romy6:
DSCN0244a_zps471255a1.jpg

NuMex Twilight - Siliman, 3rd year plant, canopy shot:
DSCN0247a_zpsabcf64e3.jpg

Decided to finally grind up all my dried pods from last season:
DSCN0248a_zpsd872e0e7.jpg

The finished product, ready for a tasting  :
DSCN0251a_zps50fb632b.jpg

Not sure about Stanley, but my neighbor looks pretty pleased.  He took care of my plants while we were on vacation, and helped grind all the powders:
DSCN0249a_zps42f027d8.jpg

More friendlies:
DSCN0257a_zps447c14e2.jpg

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia - GaGrowhead, baby pod:
DSCN0266a_zpsd795a9c0.jpg

C. chacoense, var. exile - Stc 3248:
DSCN0253a_zpscd0bf45f.jpg

One of the biggest plants is the bonda Ma Jacques cross Yellow 7 Pot.  That's a 3 quart
watering c:
DSCN0263a_zps2fe7cfd6.jpg

Definitely looking good Paul... and the Bonda-Yellow 7 cross looks like a beast! I'm thinking the Chiero was one of the last plants to set pods last year, but as they were only dime-sized at maturity they ripened quickly. The plant was loaded with 'em too. Keep 'em green!

Sweet!!! Chaco pods already! Those were my first to set as well. Your Galapagoense is way farther down the tracks than mine is...and bushier. Mine are slow growers as well and are taking on a more upright habit. They are starting to branch out a bit and I can finally see the beginnings of a few tiny buds, I will try to post some pics up tomorrow for comparison. The supers are fun and interesting, but the mystery behind these ancient wilds is pretty cool too. 

Everything looks stellar as always at the mad scientists place...must be pretty cool to be PaulG!

Back