• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Hey Paul! Nice updates! Your yard is a work of art! I promised a pic of my Galapagoense a few pages ago then I went MIA for a bit. Sorry about that. I have three going and they all have an upright growth habit so far but are starting to bush out a little now. Here are the pics...

2vQHqsT.jpg

RWcpzTG.jpg

Even a few small buds forming!

Okay - same growth habit as mine, although maybe farther along.  Has
some flowers here and there.  The weather has been cool and damp,
so hard to tell what it's really doing!  I'll go grab a pic now...

Later.  Between a Rhododendron and Jamie's BrainStrain.  It's a very
healthy plant, but a real slow grower at this point in time:  
DSCN0361a_zps4f87a223.jpg

The 'understory'.  You can see a flower hiding at about 5 0'clock:
DSCN0362a_zpsce446015.jpg

The plants that grew from seeds you sent are all doing great, buddy - thanks a bunch!

Here are the pics of the pupating ladybird beetle larva.  Not much has happened since my last mention of it.  
Here is the first pic - immobile, abdomen glued down, end closest to the tip of the leaf:
DSCN0289a_zps6a01bb3c.jpg

Some kind of change obviously underway - looks like the beginnings of the shell being built at the stem end:
DSCN0297a_zpsb2c8c822.jpg

A clearer look at the 'fibers' that appear to fasten the pupa to the leaf:
DSCN0319a_zps0dd1875c.jpg

A number of times I found it standing erect like this; when I bumped the plant, it returned to the leaf:
DSCN0333a_zpsc931201e.jpg

A pretty good picture of the developing pupa after a substantial downpour:
DSCN0331a_zpsf1a09504.jpg

A day later, now to just watch.  I'll check it every am and pm and
try to capture any interesting moments, or at least their aftermath:
DSCN0335a_zps47e9c01d.jpg

In this view, it doesn't look like the white threads are attached to the leaf, but something is:
DSCN0336a_zpsd42142aa.jpg

Okay, now just to wait to see what happens!

KevinH said:
Hope you made it thru the crazy weather....
We were pretty lucky here, really pretty mild today, considering.
How about Salem area?

Here's a look at the plants in the back corner of the yard.  
This is an intense sun area from about noon until almost sundown.

Let's start with the Cheiro Recife _ Stickman, very bushy and
robust, but not much flowering or setting pods going on, yet:
DSCN0367a_zps197cfdb2.jpg

Jamaican Red Habanero - Devv, starting
to color up a few fair-sized baby pods:
DSCN0366a_zps460ffc95.jpg

The following two are the only plants directly in ground.  they are in an old
bed I prepared for squash, then let sit fallow for a year,

Sweet Hungarian Paprika - Balázs via Stickman, nicely podded
up and waiting warm weather for ripening:
DSCN0364a_zpsb9a2b2d6.jpg

The Marconi is doing pretty well, too:
DSCN0365a_zps3f2334a5.jpg

The PI441598 - GaGrowhead, looks like it might be getting ready to ripen:
DSCN0371a_zps5168ad01.jpg

Here's a shot of the whole group.  Front to back: Sweet
Hungarian Paprika, Marconi Rosso, Cheiro Rrecife, Jamaican
Red Hanbanero, Romy6Mystery x Goat's Weed (at last measure-
ment, 5'1" tall!):
compostpana_zps93b91694.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the Chiero Recife and Szegedi Paprika Paul, I was wondering how they were doing for you. Your CR is already twice the size mine got to last year, and it looks like it's just waiting for the right conditions to start flowering heavily. Nice pics of the Ladybug pupa too. It's really interesting to see the process of change from larval to adult stages.  Good work my friend!

stickman said:
Thanks for the pics of the Chiero Recife and Szegedi Paprika Paul, I was wondering how they were doing for you. Your CR is already twice the size mine got to last year, and it looks like it's just waiting for the right conditions to start flowering heavily. Nice pics of the Ladybug pupa too. It's really interesting to see the process of change from larval to adult stages.  Good work my friend!
My pleasure, brother, sorry it took me so long!  And sorry I forgot to credit
you with passing on Balázs' paprika seeds    :oops:

I think you are right about the Cheiro Recife - a few weeks of warm, sunny
weather and it will be loaded.

Haven't checked the pupa yet today, will go out in a minute and see what's up.  
The cool weather has probably slowed down the process quite a bit.

Here's a lttle mini-mini harvest.  Top: 7 Pot Jonahs.  Middle: Mountain Pepper, Datil, Choco Bhut,
NagaBrain.  Bottom: Your Douglah, Rick, and a Fatali/Savina:
DSCN0374a_zpsaf7f8e78.jpg

I had to add an extension to the pole with the Mystery x Goat's Weed   :rofl:
I measured the plant yesterday at 5' 6":
DSCN0373a_zpsfbbfc371.jpg

I think you may be a shoo-in for the growdown Mr P! It's only mid-june and that puppy's almost 6 foot already, really!? :onfire:

Glad to see Douglah pods already, though the one pictured seems a little green still. When ripe last year, the pods had a distinctly reddish-brown cast... I'll be curious to hear your take on the taste when they fully ripen. Last year I detected notes of earth and wood in the flavor. Smoking with cherry wood improved that a lot and made for some great sauces. Cheers!

Your Romy Mystery looks exactly like the mother plant. Mine topped out at about 6'6" but I am certain that in ground it would have kept on growing. Very cool plant...I saved a bunch of seeds and as Rick suggested I nominated it for the tallest plant growdown...but the selection turned out to be the Aji Chuncho this season. 

Your Gala is definitely a little ahead of mine, but mine are all closing the gap quickly and should open those flowers this week. Glad to see them and the rest of the wilds doing so well for you!!!

Fascinating pictorial series of the ladybug, Paul.  What's the current status?

One of my most memorable experiences as a kid was when my dad brought in a cicada that had just emerged from the ground and was crawling up the side of a pine tree.  He stood a roll of paper towels in the middle of the dining table and put the cicada on it.  The whole family sat around and watched it hatch out of its shell.  Good times.

Thanks for the heads up on the Douglah, Rick.  There are some

I think you may be a shoo-in for the growdown Mr P! It's only mid-june and that puppy's almost 6 foot already, really!? :onfire:

Glad to see Douglah pods already, though the one pictured seems a little green still. When ripe last year, the pods had a distinctly reddish-brown cast... I'll be curious to hear your take on the taste when they fully ripen. Last year I detected notes of earth and wood in the flavor. Smoking with cherry wood improved that a lot and made for some great sauces. Cheers!

more baby pods turning brown, I'll let them go longer.  

I swear the Mystery x GW has grown a few more inches in the
past two days.  I have to measure again!

Hey, Jason - the baby crosses are indeed ripening to a peach color as the purple goes away   :party:

Cool selection of baby pods!
The baby 441598Xs pods look peach!
That's the plan!

Thanks, Chuck.  It's been a good Spring so far!

Had to pick my jaw off the ground. Your plants are a work of art. Great looking pods as well. Thanks for sharing.

Penny said:
Well done Paul.....everything looks great!! :dance:
Thanks, Penny.  Lots of green tomatoes on the plants from your seeds!

stc3248 said:
Your Romy Mystery looks exactly like the mother plant. Mine topped out at about 6'6" but I am certain that in ground it would have kept on growing. Very cool plant...I saved a bunch of seeds and as Rick suggested I nominated it for the tallest plant growdown...but the selection turned out to be the Aji Chuncho this season. 

Your Gala is definitely a little ahead of mine, but mine are all closing the gap quickly and should open those flowers this week. Glad to see them and the rest of the wilds doing so well for you!!!
Hey, Shane, I expect by the end of the season your galapagoense
will have left mine in the dust!

I think the Mystery cross GW is going to get over 6'.  Don't know if
it will make 6-6 or not.  That's impressive.

We're going to the Oregon Coast for the week, but I'll get some pics
up of the plants that came from the seeds you sent.

Sawyer said:
Fascinating pictorial series of the ladybug, Paul.  What's the current status?

One of my most memorable experiences as a kid was when my dad brought in a cicada that had just emerged from the ground and was crawling up the side of a pine tree.  He stood a roll of paper towels in the middle of the dining table and put the cicada on it.  The whole family sat around and watched it hatch out of its shell.  Good times.  Yeah, that's awesome!
Very minor changes day by day, John.  Here are pics from yesterday.  It sort of looks like the old larva exoskeleton is starting to separate
from the beetle shell looking part.  I think the fuzzy stuff is what is left of the abdomen:
DSCN0383a_zpsdaff1c2a.jpg

DSCN0388a_zps2ae14095.jpg

This is a Spotless ladybug -Cycloneda munda.  Have seen several of these this spring.  It has very interesting thorax markings: 
DSCN0394a_zpsce42f3e8.jpg

Dot Com said:
coming right along & nice big pots to allow for root growth.
Yeah, the utility tubs make great cheap planters.

KevinH said:
Hay Paul had to step up to a 4 foot 8 bulb T5 HO light. Any advice on bulbs and watering?
Dude!  That's awesome!  
That should give you a t on of light.

I think the guidelines I read said to keep T5 HO lights about 4-10 cm (about 2-4 inches)
from the plants.  I found I could keep them a little higher with no apparent ill effects.

I watered from the bottom trays - the 1/2 gallon starter pots took about 3-4 ounces every day or two
depending on the garage temperature.  Once the plants got bigger their water needs increased, of course.

Hey, everybody - I am alive!  Had a great week at the Coast, and have been busy
since getting back.  The weather has just been too good to spend time inside at the
computer!  Looking at mid to high 80's (30˚C or so} this week, then a weedk of 90's,
followed by a cooler, by about 10˚F, week.  Should be good h=growing weather, if a
bit hot for pod setting, which slowed a bit in the cooler June weather, but is picking
up now.

This is the last pic of the ladybird beetle pupa before we went to the coast.  It was a brittle shell
when we came back.  I did see it stand up a few times before we left, a behavior I have seen re-
peated the past few days by other larvae/pupas:
DSCN0404a_zpsddf2a498.jpg

Some plants starting to form more mature-looking pods.  This is the 3rd gen. Fatali/Savina:
DSCN0417a_zps9c633dee.jpg

Some early Congo Trinidad - Sanarda, pods.  They have a shape reminiscent of Bonnets to me.  These are thumb-tip size:
DSCN0416a_zpsa208898c.jpg

Seven Pot Jonah - GaGrowhead:
DSCN0415a_zpscfd969df.jpg

Sweet Hungarian Paprika - Balázs via Stickman.  Showing some color   :party: :
DSCN0412a_zpscd12f529.jpg

JA Red Habanero - Devv.  Wow - the big pod had great flavor and heat.  Awesome to think what the mature pods will be like!:
DSCN0410a_zpse5285c23.jpg

The Seven Pot Burgundy is finally getting down to business:
DSCN0419a_zps81cc6632.jpg

The bushy Goat's Weed - Stc3248, 2nd generation.  Pinched a few times since start-
ing last August and OW-ing   ;) :
DSCN0426a_zps5ee06199.jpg

One of the Goat's Weed pods:
DSCN0425a_zps364749d8.jpg

The front-yard plants starting to fill out and extend.  Lots of flowers, a few pods showing up:
DSCN0422a_zps9e697dea.jpg

Will check back in with more later.  Hope everyone is well!

Nice Paul! The Szegedi Paprika was my first to ripen too. Big bonus that you got JA Hab, Congo Trinidad and 7-pot Jonah pods ripening too! :dance:  Looks like things are perking up for us Nortenos... ;)  Keep up the good work!

Back