• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

PaulG said:
We are surviving the hot days with a bit of extra water for the plants!  They do like the heat up to a point.  How are your plants
doing?

Plants are doing well! When the forecast kept changing for the cooler, I procrastinated putting up my shade cloth. The spot I have them in gets the real deal full sun exposure, and they haven't been drooping, even after spending the day in the mid 90's. So I figure they must be doing okay. There's not overwhelming flower drop either, so my attitude has been to let it ride.

I like your shade cloth system prototype! Gives me some ideas for when it starts to warm up again.

Mainly whats killing me is over all temps in my garage . They are trugging along. I got a bunch of jalapeño seeds im going to run testing on. With a dunk in FF Kangaroots, ?? And AF. I'll keep ya posted.

As usual, thing are looking stellar in your back yard Paul... especially the Pubes! Your idea for an improvised shade netting looked very workable... I'm gonna have to remember that in case I need a quick, cheap fix. Continued success bro'!

blorvak said:

Plants are doing well! When the forecast kept changing for the cooler, I procrastinated putting up my shade cloth. The spot I have them in gets the real deal full sun exposure, and they haven't been drooping, even after spending the day in the mid 90's. So I figure they must be doing okay. There's not overwhelming flower drop either, so my attitude has been to let it ride.

I like your shade cloth system prototype! Gives me some ideas for when it starts to warm up again.
I was glad to see the high 90's and low 100's forecast not pan out.  All but two
or three plants are in places where they can tolerate the amount of sun they get.  
When the temps in the hot corner of my back yard hit 95, these two get a bit limp,
as you can see.  The shade cloth keeps the bottom part of the plants and the
pots' surfaces a bit cooler:
DSCN0557a_zps40b18a46.jpg

KevinH said:
Mainly whats killing me is over all temps in my garage . They are trugging along. I got a bunch of jalapeño seeds im going to run testing on. With a dunk in FF Kangaroots, ?? And AF. I'll keep ya posted.
When are you starting the Jalapeño seeds?
Good luck; sounds like you have a plan!

stickman said:
As usual, thing are looking stellar in your back yard Paul... especially the Pubes! Your idea for an improvised shade netting looked very workable... I'm gonna have to remember that in case I need a quick, cheap fix. Continued success bri'!
Thanks, my friend!  The first year Manzano is really taking off, as are the Aji Amarillos that grow in the shade with them.  Hopefully
you won't need shade cloth!

The  first year Manzano - Stc3248, is really extending up into the sky.  I took this standing up:
DSCN0564a_zpsb6fe4b20.jpg

These are some of the 7 Pot Jonah pods from the droopy plant above.  Courtesy of GaGrowhead:
DSCN0551a_zps84bdcd13.jpg

This one is a bit smaller:
DSCN0552a_zps4735c291.jpg

There are many large, green pods on the Jonah:
DSCN0553a_zpsf912078e.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM - Trippa, early, baby pods:
DSCN0555a_zpsd60dc88b.jpg

Fuzzy pic of the Bonda x Yellow Seven - Windchicken.  there are some nice pods starting to ripen up on this one:
DSCN0554a_zps6301a28c.jpg

These are baby pods from the Not White Yellow Bhut Jolokia - Sawyer.  The newer pods are definitely looking more bhut-sh:
DSCN0550a_zpsa801754a.jpg

I'll post up a few more later on.  Good weekend to all!

Great-looking pods, Paul.  And some mighty blue sky.  Those NWYB pods actually look an awful lot like the white bhut the plant is descended from.  I can't really tell from the picture; what's the color like on those?  Of course, they're still small, so that can change.

Probably 1st of Oct. Mainly I want to test a fertilizer soak. I have read abour the one Spankscolts dunks his in, and have came with mine based off his. I will try FF OF and HF add Pearlite. Then do a ST AF at full strength. And add half strength kangaroots and Microbre. Wait for them to have a set of true leaves then transplant. This year I have used Roots organic soil, and there lacking some thing. Might be a need for a break in the light cycle.

Sawyer said:
Great-looking pods, Paul.  And some mighty blue sky.  We've had a lot of that lately.  Those NWYB pods actually look an awful lot like the white bhut the plant is descended from.  I can't really tell from the picture; what's the color like on those?  Of course, they're still small, so that can change.
The pods are a light green at this point, very pale.  Will be interesting to see how they develop!
Here's a pic of the newer pods:
DSCN0543a_zps7b261049.jpg

KevinH said:
Probably 1st of Oct. Mainly I want to test a fertilizer soak. I have read abour the one Spankscolts dunks his in, and have came with mine based off his. I will try FF OF and HF add Pearlite. Then do a ST AF at full strength. And add half strength kangaroots and Microbre. Wait for them to have a set of true leaves then transplant. This year I have used Roots organic soil, and there lacking some thing. Might be a need for a break in the light cycle.
I've had good luck with the Happy Frog/Ocean Forest as well. 
Hope your plan works out for you.

GA Growhead said:
They do look like white habs.
Stoked on your yellow Jonahs! My first plant to pod up is definitely crossed. Hoping the other plant will grow true.
The Jonah is the most productive plant at this point, maybe Trippa's F1 Mystery Cross is in the same league.

The two Yellow Aji plants from Peruvian market seed both opened their first flowers on the same day.  the Yellow Aji from
PepperGal opened about five days later.
DSCN0544a_zps83e362ff.jpg

DSCN0542a_zpsc27f7ce8.jpg

The Mystery Cross x goat's weed hit 8' this weekend!
DSCN0540a_zps27da433d.jpg

Seven-spotted Ladybird Beetle.  Love seeing the friendlies around.
DSCN0537a_zps29a0a522.jpg

Also have seen a few molted larva exoskeletons on the plant that had the hatchlings on it:
DSCN0546a_zps91a8fc19.jpg

Okay, Signing off for now.  I took some pics today that I'll post tomorrow.

I want to say congrats on an eight foot outdoor pepper plant in the northwest. It is only going to get bigger as we have plenty of good weather still to come for it. All those who complain about not being able to grow really big plants unless one lives in the south need to read your glog and rethink their methods of growing. 

Your grow continues to exude beauty, Paul.
I like the shade cloth idea. I didn't know you guys were subject to 100° weather  :shocked:
That fushia is gorgeous, a long time favorite of mine. I'm just not a great shepard of potted plants -but learning.
My alleged Bolivian Rainbow looks more like your NuMex Twilight except maybe your leaf and fruit size are larger. 
Gotta love any 7'+ pepper plant!

Do you re-amend your FF OF after grow season?

Sawyer said:
BTW, congrats on your "On Fire!" level achievement.
Thanks, John.  I guess if a person hangs around long enough, it can happen  :lol:

The Rickster is another notch up in that category!

onefowl1 said:
I want to say congrats on an eight foot outdoor pepper plant in the northwest. It is only going to get bigger as we have plenty of good weather still to come for it. All those who complain about not being able to grow really big plants unless one lives in the south need to read your glog and rethink their methods of growing. 
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jacen!  The Goat's Weed cross is a real skyrocket, all right.  
We've been blessed with a decent grow season in PNW so far.

I measured it more accurately today - 8'3"   :shocked:

Hope to see you at NW Chilifest this year, bro!

stickman said:
Wow! How many years old did you say the Manzano plant was that had branches over your head?! Everything else is looking great Paul.  Thanks, bro!  Think you'll be making any sauces this season? Hadn't thought about it much, yet.
That's a first year plant - actually one I started last August and OW'd.  I cut it back to a
stick sometime in early Spring, and the result is branches that are way long!  The plant
is up on a concrete building block, so I look up at the tips of the tallest branches growing
up into the Red Osier dogwood.  I think I'll not OW any more Manzanos, but start them
in Late October/early November.  The first year plants are always so much more robust.

BTW, the Cheiro Recife has finally started setting pods!

JJJessee said:
Your grow continues to exude beauty, Paul.  You are too kind, Jesse!
I like the shade cloth idea. I didn't know you guys were subject to 100° weather  :shocked:
That fushia is gorgeous, a long time favorite of mine. I'm just not a great shepard of potted plants -but learning.
My alleged Bolivian Rainbow looks more like your NuMex Twilight except maybe your leaf and fruit size are larger. 
Gotta love any 7'+ pepper plant!  Is your Bolivian tall - 3 feet or so?  Mine was.  The NuMEx reminds me very much of the
BR I had - same kind of pod coloration.  Chinese Five color is another that has the multi colored pods.  I thought
the Bolivian Rainbow was an awesome plant. 

Do you re-amend your FF OF after grow season?
We don't get many 100 degree days here, but a fair amount of days in the mid-90's.  
I haven't used much shade cloth before this, but some of the plants in the all day hot
sun get pretty stressed in the real hot weather.

The Fox Farms soil is only used with my first transplants and first pot-up.  After that,
I use my own mix, so the FF winds up in the containers by default.  I do amend my
containers with some steer manuer and bone meal every Spring a month or so before plant out.

Here's the first ripe pod on Trippa's Bird's Eye HTM!  there are about a hundred green
pods on the plant, with the ones that get sun exposure turning black:
DSCN0565a_zps8962f1ec.jpg

These are from Trippa's Mystery Cross.  
The red pods are F1 and the yellow, F2.  
The F1 is ripening up more pods as I type this:
DSCN0572a_zps6de80cdf.jpg

As long as we're looking at peppers, here's a little early summer harvest of baby pods,
and a few decent ones:
DSCN0566a_zpse1376c4a.jpg

Here are some closer looks at some of the pods.

DSCN0573a_zps3c1fdf10.jpg

DSCN0570a_zps286fa2f7.jpg

The Jonah is putting out nice pods:
DSCN0567a_zpse74901cd.jpg

DSCN0577a_zps7caab753.jpg

KevinH said:
Harvest looks great. Hope things only get better.
Hey, thanks, Kevin.  Hopefully just a foretaste of what's to come!
If our weather holds for a nice Fall, we could
have a nice season here in PNW with lots of big pods!

Thanks for the bump!

The Honduran Market 'Mountain Pepper' - this pod is about 4 times larger than the pods last year.
 I'm hoping for more of the same as the Summer wears on:
DSCN0578a_zps8919e834.jpg

These are NagaBrains - Windchicken.   The red pod is starting to look more like a NagaBrain pod.  There are some promising ones on
the plant as the podding season heats up and the plants begin to set pods in earnest.  Interesting that there are two colors;
DSCN0579a_zps048f7e01.jpg

The orange/peach colored pods are the Funky Reaper - Sawyer, baby pods.  You can see some gnarly
tendencies in a couple of the pods. The red one is the first ripe baby pod from the Reaper:
DSCN0574a_zps045b081e.jpg

This parting shot is for JJJesse.  

This one is called 'Scintillation'.  
The trailing branches will be over 3' long by summer's end:
DSCN0519a_zps29176362.jpg

Thanks for the looks, folks.  I hope everyone is having a good grow
season.

Who'd have thought your tall Manzano is less than a year old... great job Paul! I'm sure having the greenhouse is what gave you an edge, but keeping it alive through the winter is a challenge all its own. Glad to hear your Cheiro Recife is finally podding up. If it's like mine last year, it'll stay small and bushy, but produce well over a hundred dime-sized pods with a nipple on the bottom. Drive on my friend!

Wow Paul ... looks like you are in for a bumper Season!! Any tasting done yet on any of the pods?? Great to see the birdseye HTM and Mystery f1 and f2s producing ripe pods. I will be curious to hear how they taste in your opinion ... I will be curious about the f2 and which way of has gone taste wise.
The HTM sure does produce well when it is firing and stays compact as well. Best thing is they dry once picked just on a bench top ... if you feel like it ... good for adding whole to cooking (stews etc or pickling i imagine) to add heat without taking room. Hottest Annuum I have tasted ... hotter then a goats weed or any other birdseye etc .
So the mystery plants are producing well ?

Good stuff going on your way Paul!

Congrats on the first harvests, you'll be loaded down with pods in a short while.

Can't beat a sunshade when the weather turns hot. I'll bet that your plants struggle more when it gets that hot, as they're not seeing that everyday.

Keep it green!

Amazing pics Paul! Loved reading the updates. I'd love to see a full shot of that monster plant.

Your TFM's look a bit different from mine... mine are less round and have "stingers" on 'em. Interesting. Great tasting pod... very aromatic.

Hey fellas, thanks for the responses.  Can't answer now, but will tomorrow,
and will post up pics of the grow.

Back