• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Spicegeist said:
So many great looking plants, so many varieties, great work.  Really incredible.

Do you find that your overwinter plants put out different pods?  I've found this with my plants.  If you really want to get the best out of some varieties, it seems they need to be at least two years old.
Thanks, Charles!  It has been a good grow season thus far.
Knock on wood!  Hope yours is going well.

The OW ornamentals I have (not Black Pearl, NuMex Twilight) put out the same kinds of pods
every year.  Actually, the annuums all do.  The Fatali is following your pattern, I think.  
The production was awesome for a smallish plant last season, and the pods this season (3rd)
are looking quite a bit gnarlier than the pods from last season, and there are lots of them.  

I have had no luck at all with Habanero OWs, so I'm going to drop them from the OW list.

I did manage a bit of a harvest yesterday.  Mostly babies, but the real pods are starting to show up:
DSCN0656a_zps0563364c.jpg

Dot Com said:
looks like you'll have peppers for any occasion.
And a few to share, my friend!

stickman said:
I'd say you've done yourself proud Paul! It'll be a hard act to follow next year... no pressure... ;)
I need to get through this season first!  
Remember, last year I killed sixteen plants with 2-4-D   :rofl:
It didn't seem so funny then!

Those plants all look salubrious Paul! Great Variety as well! those HTM's like to hold on to the plant ... one variety I never bother trying to hand pick .. always a scissors job.
Certain varieties do seem to like a fresh start each year and others (Douglah, Cili Goronong, and Bahamian Goat pepper are three that thrive on a 2nd season) really benefit from that maturity to set bigger and better/more pods.

Any tasting notes from any pods yet?

P.S. leave the 2-4-D in the shed this season ;) or better yet get yourself some coconut based contact weed killer ... no inadvertant drift issues with those :D

Seriously though looking awesome .. keep on growing!!

Trippa said:
Those plants all look salubrious Paul! Great Variety as well! those HTM's like to hold on to the plant ... one variety I never bother trying to hand pick .. always a scissors job.  I discovered that when I picked the pods!
Certain varieties do seem to like a fresh start each year and others (Douglah, Cili Goronong, and Bahamian Goat pepper are three that thrive on a 2nd season) really benefit from that maturity to set bigger and better/more pods.

Any tasting notes from any pods yet? I did try some Bird's Eye last night, but we also sampled  all the larger pods in the pic above so my mouth was pretty much useless for taste.

P.S. leave the 2-4-D in the shed this season ;)  No kidding! or better yet get yourself some coconut based contact weed killer ... no inadvertant drift issues with those :D

Seriously though looking awesome .. keep on growing!!
Thank you, brother.  Did you get to cleaning the balcony yet?  

I still don't see what the problem is with just chucking the plants over the railing  :twisted:      :scared:     :shh:

98˚F this afternoon, 88 predicted.  I wonder what the 93 prediction days will bring?.  My temperature sensor
is behind the white card  in the shade of the Bird's Eye HTM:
DSCN0664a_zps39299518.jpg

I swear the Goat's Weed cross grew another inch today.  You can see
how ithas grown up into the tree branch above it:
DSCN0661a_zpseb2ff3ca.jpg

The NuMex Twilight is really lighting up:
DSCN0658a_zps4e88908e.jpg

A little closer in:
DSCN0657a_zpse3523e3e.jpg

The not Black Pearl is firing on all cylinders as well:
DSCN0659a_zps5e95680f.jpg

No ... I am about to sneak out and pyrethrin/Sulphur the crap out out of the pots/plants out there now ... while the wife is out ... was under strict instructions not to do anything today and to rest ... what she doesn't know doesn't hurt ;)

Good luck with that, Tristen!  It's good of your spouse to look out for your well being.  
Sometimes being busy doing something is better than just sitting around when your
under the weather.

Eugh! I viscerally hate it when it gets above the low 90s... hope you're takin' it easy with a cold drink where it's cool! :cool:

Your Goat's Weed is a beast for sure, and the Numex Twilight pods look an awful lot like what came from the Dilley Street Tamwork seeds I got from cmpman. My pods are bigger though, and the plant has a more low, spreading habit. Interesting though.... :cheers:

stickman said:
Eugh! I viscerally hate it when it gets above the low 90s... hope you're takin' it easy with a cold drink where it's cool! :cool:

Your Goat's Weed is a beast for sure, and the Numex Twilight pods look an awful lot like what came from the Dilley Street Tamwork seeds I got from cmpman. My pods are bigger though, and the plant has a more low, spreading habit. Interesting though.... :cheers:
Fortunately, the forecast has been revised down to all high 80's for the next 10 days   :clap:

Of all the multi-colors, my favorite is the Bolivian Rainbow.  What an awesome plant, 3' tall
covered with the same kind of flowers!

Grow on, bro!

Sawyer said:
The Twilight is a beautiful plant.  Mine aren't that far along yet.
I like the multi colored pods -  worth the wait!

Thanks, Jeff.  The unusually nice weather this Spring and Summer has really
made for some great plant growth.  My NuMex Twilight seeds came from Siliman
still in their original NMSU envelope back in 2012.  It has made a great OW plant.

The Datil - Romy6, is moving beyond the baby pod stage:
DSCN0673a_zps219bc13c.jpg

The BrainStrain - Romy6.  These little pods look like they will be awesome:
DSCN0669a_zpsf29bbf59.jpg

DSCN0666a_zps3faaf0a2.jpg

A little handful of small Reapers and Douglahs:
DSCN0676a_zps4c0c1475.jpg

The c. chacoense has a few ripening pods:
DSCN0670a_zpsbbb509ef.jpg

The Chili Costa Rica - THSC 2012, has made some nice bundles of dark purple pods.  Can't wait until they start to turn red.  If they
have the flavor and heat of the not Black Pearl, they will be a good OW candidate:
DSCN0671a_zpscc1883f2.jpg

NagaBrain - Windchicken, Orange pods:
DSCN0677a_zps46f46e66.jpg

Same, but red pods:
DSCN0678a_zpse413dc96.jpg

The Mystery Annuum x Goat's Weed has grown another inch or two, but I
haven't measured it in a few days.  It could be 9' by now!  Lower branch tips:
DSCN0691a_zps06fea50f.jpg

Another Mystery x GW pod:
DSCN0690a_zps1443177e.jpg

I'll come back with a few more.

annie57 said:
Chilli Costa Rica, BRBow, a handful of PAIN, more on vine, and that TREE Mystery x Goat, Paul! Love it! :party:
I came in to get out of the heat for a minute, and found a nice surprise - a visit from Annie!   :D
There is a fair amount of heat growing in the yard this season   :twisted:  Hope all is well in your neighborhood, sis.

Brown Eggs - GaGrowhead, has set real pods and is starting to ripen up.  Pretty prolific for a small plant:
DSCN0694a_zps0609f328.jpg

The 3rd year Fatali is incredibly dense, with veg growth and with pods.  It has the prime spot in the back yard, next to the blueberries:
DSCN0695a_zps4be77c03.jpg

Here's a fun one.  It is hard to get a pic of Trippa's Mystery Cross against the Star Jasmine.  (BTW Any parentage guesses from those who have seen the pics?)  
Here's a little bottom up shot  (only real decent view, except close-up) that may help you narrow it down.  F1, red pods, and F2, yellow pods.  These are large,
robust plants.  Longer branches at 5' or more by now, I suspect, and others racing to catch up:
DSCN0689a_zps27878d5c.jpg

How about a trip to Peru?  

Pop Quiz!    :eek:   :shocked:    :think:    Q1: Of which country is Machu Pichu the capitol? (watch out, this could be a trick question!   :twisted: )

Q2: In the image below, can you see which is the Manzano, which is the Aji Amarillo, and which is the Red Osier Dogwood?

The Ajis and the Manzano love the shade of the dogwood, but are racing to bust through the canopy.  If they continue at this
pace, they could have branches 7' long.  You can really see the vining nature of them in the photo.  Could be a scene in
South America :rofl: :
DSCN0679a_zps2dbe98b8.jpg

Easy to see why these are called Manzanos:
DSCN0682a_zps68894f1f.jpg

This is the largest:
DSCN0683a_zps22ebb22f.jpg

This pod is up in the branches in the area where the 4th pic in the post was taken; there are at least two more close by:
DSCN0680a_zps1515f4b3.jpg

This is the largest Aji Amarillo pod; it's on the bushy phenotype plant and is about three fingers long.  There are small pods covering  
all three Yellow Aji plants.  They take a long time to ripen, so my fingers are crossed for a good harvest of these:
DSCN0685a_zps2420da8a.jpg

Thanks for the visits, folks.  Weekend is getting close!  Hope everyone is well!

Very nice Paul.

Trying to catch-up from being out and about, teachers come back in a couple of weeks (I'm scared), we have a bunch of newbies...

Goat's Weed cross looks like it's got some Poplar in it :rolleyes:

Easy to see why these are called Manzanos:

Can you imagine what the pods would look like if they were called Womanzanos? (OK, I'll take a slap, but you started it:) Wife just offered :shh:

As usual pics and plants look fantastic, good eye on the photography!

Keep on trucking!

Edit: Regarding OW's, 2 out of 10 did me justice this season. I actually did better with my first season plants. What's your experiences?

Devv said:
Very nice Paul.

Trying to catch-up from being out and about, teachers come back in a couple of weeks (I'm scared), we have a bunch of newbies...
Time flies when you are having fun, right?
Goat's Weed cross looks like it's got some Poplar in it :rolleyes:

Can you imagine what the pods would look like if they were called Womanzanos? (OK, I'll take a slap, but you started it:) Wife just offered :shh:
You are lucky to be alive, dude!   ;) 
As usual pics and plants look fantastic, good eye on the photography!
Thanks, brother!  Just using my little Nikon S550.  
It's a pretty amazing little unit for one a few years old.
Keep on trucking!

Edit: Regarding OW's, 2 out of 10 did me justice this season. I actually did better with my first season plants. What's your experiences?
No kidding on the GW cross.  I measured it again a few moments ago at 109" - 9' 1".
It is literally growing like a weed!  I don't know how long it can keep growing like this;
it's in about a 8-10 gallon container with plenty of food, water and sun   :party:

My experience with OW's may be slightly better, but not by much.  The best OWs for me so far:  Goat's Weed, 
NuMex Twilight, not Black Pearl, Fatali.  I may try the Red Bhut this winter since it is such a squat, bushy plant.
My OW technique is pretty blunt.  I just trim them back and put them in the greenhouse.  That may account for
some of my results!

Stunning grow this season, my friend!

I did manage a couple of more  pics today.

My 3rd year Giant not White Habanero - Spankycolts, 3rd generation, has put out stinger-type pods earlier each season, after throwing
some out late in the first season.  They made a really early appearance this season:
DSCN0696a_zps72468f33.jpg

DSCN0697a_zps1abf8c49.jpg

Starting a Rista with Trippa's Bird's Eye HTM:
DSCN0700a_zps1b5b97bd.jpg

Since we have so much hot weather these days, I'm drying the baby pods in the sun.  Works great for the
not Black Pearl and the Bird's Eye.
DSCN0698a_zpsc792f415.jpg

First harvest of Wild Brazils.  There must be a thousand on the plant     :liar:   Well, there are a lot   :oops:
I think I'll dry my wilds this way as long as the heat holds out:
DSCN0701a_zps5b19312a.jpg

Looking very very good Paul!! ... exceptional in fact ..... can't get over how well those mystery crosses are growing ... certainly have the vigour in growth I had hoped from the one parent plant ... hope the yellow f2s taste as good as the f1s I tasted . Great idea on the drying!!
Those stingers on the giant not white habeneros look pretty mean as well Paul!"

Trippa said:
Looking very very good Paul!! ... exceptional in fact ..... can't get over how well those mystery crosses are growing ... certainly have the vigour in growth I had hoped from the one parent plant ... hope the yellow f2s taste as good as the f1s I tasted . Great idea on the drying!!  It will work as long as we have this great weather.  I can dry in the greenhouse, too.
Those stingers on the giant not white habeneros look pretty mean as well Paul!"
I found the F1 and F2 to be pretty similar, but I'm going to
give a couple of fresh ones a try tonight.

I think once they get ripe you could just grab one of those
GnWH and shove the stinger in a vein and squeeze!

How did the balcony clean go?

Cool looking pods on the Giant not White Habanero, I love to see how they progress.

So how long can you go before the cold arrives?

Back