• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Devv said:
Cool looking pods on the Giant not White Habanero, I love to see how they progress.

So how long can you go before the cold arrives?
Every year the plant has produced different pods.  It will be interesting to see how it does this year.

We should be good until October, maybe even into November if we're lucky.
the weather will moderate a lot, but the really cold nights shouldn't be a concern until Oct.

GA Growhead said:
My not GWHs from you are making perfect stinger pods too. Will have to get a shot up on my glog.
Thanks again Paul, they are awesome plants!
Glad to hear that, Jason!  It's an awesome strain.

Trippa said:
Let me know how the taste testing goes Paul.
Will do, Tristen.  Just haven't been able to get to it yet.  
I left the pods on the plant for safe keeping.  Both Mystery F's
are coloring up rapidly.  How do you suggest using those pods?

jedisushi06 said:
How's it going Paul?
Things are good Mikey!  Lots of sun and pods setting!

Another bright spot - the c. galapagoense is finally starting to set pods.  There are about 6-10 like these:
DSCN0704a_zps4e8b5399.jpg

DSCN0705a_zps8760ca21.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  More sun on the way here, forecasts in the
mid 80's to low 90's for the next 7-10 days   :party: , with lows in mid 50's to mid 60's.
Can't do much better than that!

The plants are really starting to set some gnarl.

the brown eggs are yummy.. sowed a few more of those

poddage looks great... as always.. ive learned my lessons again this year.. but i am thankful.. as y ou mentioned.. EVERY POD a VICTORY

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
the brown eggs are yummy.. sowed a few more of those

poddage looks great... as always.. ive learned my lessons again this year.. but i am thankful.. as y ou mentioned.. EVERY POD a VICTORY
Denniz, my friend!  Thanks for stopping by!

I tried one of the Brown Eggs a couple of days ago - what a trip.
Great chili taste with only a hint of heat.  My wife might even like these.

Lot's of dedication here !
Paul this has been a great season for you so far. The plants look healthy with dense foliage. I can see the plants receive plenty of light, it does help by not overcrowding the plants........like I do......... :D
It seems that some of the plants receive shade throughout the day. Do your plants respond better with partial shade or full sun?
Nice photography and write-ups of the individual plants !

PaulG said:
My 3rd year Giant not White Habanero - Spankycolts, 3rd generation, has put out stinger-type pods earlier each season, after throwing
some out late in the first season.  They made a really early appearance this season:
DSCN0696a_zps72468f33.jpg
The seed you sent me produced some stinger pods right away too. I should have some coming in at some point - which is a good thing for me in an otherwise lackluster gardening season.

Your stuff is looking great though! Well done!

Wow wow wubzy some awesome stuff is a happening here . Lions , tigers , 9 foot tall Goat cross and perfect pubes . Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep on keeping on mi amigo !!!

PIC 1 said:
Lot's of dedication here !  I seem to remember a guy in Chicago I could say the same thing about in Spades!
Paul this has been a great season for you so far. The plants look healthy with dense foliage. I can see the plants receive plenty of light, it does help by not overcrowding the plants........like I do......... :D
It seems that some of the plants receive shade throughout the day. Do your plants respond better with partial shade or full sun?
Nice photography and write-ups of the individual plants !  Thanks, buddy.  High praise from the master himself!

Hey, Greg!  So far so good, brother.  We have lost a lot of leaves lately with the
hot weather, but what's left looks pretty good.  We hit 100˚F in the back yard today,
with 98-100 predicted for tomorrow, so our back yard could  well hit 105,
so some of the plants look pretty sad.  Almost all of the plants receive some shade
during the day.  The back yard plants get the most sun with total exposure from
about noon on.  I need shade cloth on some of those.  The plants by the deck just
have to deal with it.

As for sun exposure, I don't know how my experience translates to different climes and zones, 
but these are my informal observations.  When I'm hardening off in the Spring, I make a note of
which plants seem to be less sun tolerant, and try to find shadier spots for them.

Some of the plants really like full sun.  Romy6's Goat's Weed cross, Wild Brazil, Goat's Weed,
most of the various colored 7's, many annuums, and some of the habs to name a few.  It seems
the more exotic plants like a bit more shade; some of the wilds, the Sepia Serpent, NagaBrains,
Reaper, Mountain Pepper (especially), chacoense and galapagoense, Chili Costa Rica come to mind.  
They all seem to like a break from the midday sun.  The best thing for any of the plants seem to be
dappled shade with lots of sunny spots.  The intermittent shading keeps the plants from getting so
hot.  Of course when Fall gets here, I'll be scrambling to get them in more sun!

The Ajis and Manzanos prefer much more shade, but like to grow through the canopy like vines.

Sorry, Greg, this was probably more information than you wanted!

Pulpiteer said:
The seed you sent me produced some stinger pods right away too. I should have some coming in at some point - which is a good thing for me in an otherwise lackluster gardening season.

Your stuff is looking great though! Well done!  Thanks, my friend!
That's awesome, Andy!  I hope you get lots of nice pods off of it.
Your season is just sort of in limbo this year.  You will be back on top
next year, for sure, after a winter of amending and prepping that lovely
garden space.  We will all be jealous of another Andy jungle grow!

Good luck going forward, buddy - hope you are getting a little bit settled
into your new digs and community.

romy6 said:
 Wow wow wubzy some awesome stuff is a happening here . Lions , tigers , 9 foot tall Goat cross and perfect pubes . Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep on keeping on mi amigo !!!
Hey, it's the Wizard of Pods!  How's it going, Jamie?

No need to be jealous, brother, I have seen your grow log   ;)

I guess we all owe thanks to Mother Nature for providing so
well for us.

I just went out and measured the GWcross - 117" (9' 9")!
I'm sure it will be over 10' by the end of the month.  Gads,
what did you do to these things?

This GW cross pic is about 4 days old, so it's a couple of inches taller now.  It
has about a dozen 1-2" upright pods on it, green with black shading.  You can
make out a few on the low branches:
DSCN0709a_zpsc261104f.jpg

Trippa's crosses are producing some nice pods - red, F1, yellow, F2:
DSCN0706a_zps5efc5073.jpg

They seem to dry nicely in the hot sun.  This pic is after one or two days.  They are much farther along now.
Nice flavor, and a pretty good kick on the red ones.  Still need to sample a yellow:
DSCN0708a_zps384085d6.jpg

The Wild Brazil - Stc3248, is loaded:
DSCN0713a_zps923dd6d9.jpg

The Peruvian Aji Amarillo are podding up like there is no tomorrow.  Between the
three plants, there must be over 100 pods growing out, with many times more flowers
and pods setting.  If we can get the grow season to last long enough, they should ripen
nicely.  The plant from peruvian seed shot up three new branches from the base, each
about 6' tall, overtaking the rest of the plant.  The bushy phenotype plant has reached
about 4' or so, and is mostly spreading now, rather than shooting up to the moon:
DSCN0710a_zps9f68501c.jpg

DSCN0719A_zpsb879d095.jpg

First ripe Manzano - Stc3248!
DSCN0718a_zpsd2ef0204.jpg

Moving out of the baby pods on the not white Yellow Bhut - Sawyer.  
This is about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the more mature pods on the plant:
DSCN0715a_zps2127d349.jpg

Brown Eggs - GaGrowhead, starting to ripen up more pods.  They sun-dry very nicely to a deep burgundy color:
DSCN0722a_zps3770d78f.jpg

I'll be back with another set in a bit!

Heres your bump Paul, been awhile since Ive been over to your glog... Looks like i will be playing catch up here one of these days... Pods look great, weve had back to back weeks of over 100 plus. Wishing it was 20 degrees cooler though

onefowl1 said:
looking good PaulG, I had a good take in pods this morning myself.
Awesome, Jacen.  I hope we can harvest enough pods for the NWCF this Sept!

Portuge said:
Heres your bump Paul, been awhile since Ive been over to your glog... Looks like i will be playing catch up here one of these days… Save yourself some time, James   :rofl: I have given up on trying to keep up with the grow logs, and visit maybe two or three a week!  Pods look great, weve had back to back weeks of over 100 plus. Wishing it was 20 degrees cooler though
I hear that, brother.  That is a little warm!  We might get one or three days over 100,
but never sustained.  We might sustain 95's in an unusual summer like this one, and
for us that seems like h-e-double hockeysticks   :cool:   I think 75-80 sounds just about perfect!

Thanks for the bumps, fellas!

Giant White Habanero - Sawyer.  Looks like this one will be having white pods - some of the light
green ones are getting lighter in color.  I feel like it will be hard to tell when one is ripe.  Maybe it
won't.  The pods are very uniform in shape and size:
DSCN0723a_zps979b5773.jpg

Fatali - 3rd year OW::
DSCN0720a_zps164ad94f.jpg

The 7 Pot Jonah is still the champion producer so far:
DSCN0727a_zps8d981726.jpg

More Jonahs:
DSCN0728a_zpsafddad5b.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion - Uncle Steve's Hot Stuff:
DSCN0724a_zps806c88b3.jpg

PI441598 - GaGrowhead.  Turning out to be a peach color, all right!  I'm not sure how much of the purple should be gone to indicate ripeness:
DSCN0726a_zps315f8dad.jpg

7 Pot Barrakapore - GaGrowhead, finally starting to pod up in serious.  Interesting plant.  After starting to spread,
the branches all turned and began to grow straight up:
DSCN0725a_zpsbde743b4.jpg

Thanks for bearing with me, folks.  I hope everyone had a nice weekend.  Grow strong!

Just stunning plants you have. I hope between yours and mine and a few others in our part of the world we can encourage others to be as successful growing here. I always believed it was just a matter of learning how to deal with our often wet soggy weather. 

I will have a good many pods to bring for sure unless the pepper monsters raid my plants before then. lol...

I would love to get some seed from a few of your peppers to grow out myself, as we get closer to the party we can exchange lists of what we have.

Grow on my friend.

onefowl1 said:
Just stunning plants you have. I hope between yours and mine and a few others in our part of the world we can encourage others to be as successful growing here. I always believed it was just a matter of learning how to deal with our often wet soggy weather.   Thanks, bro.  It is a matter of finding which varieties do well here, and then focusing on those, I think.

I will have a good many pods to bring for sure unless the pepper monsters raid my plants before then. lol…  

I would love to get some seed from a few of your peppers to grow out myself, as we get closer to the party we can exchange lists of what we have.

Grow on my friend.
Absolutely, bud!  Sounds like a good plan.  We def need to get a little list going.  

I am really looking forward to NWCF.

Have you perused the PNW grow log?  Jim has some good stuff going, and
some of the other PNWers.  Maybe there is a growing cadre of growers in
this region.  That would be very good.

I have not but will check it out. Between being busier than planned at the nursery, fighting our hot summer keeping everything hydrated, moving to smartphone and tablet for most of my online time. Still trying to find a way to post pics from my tablet as I got it for that purpose as it goes with me everywhere.

I see there's been lots happening out your way Paul... you seem to be as busy as I am, lol! Lots of color too... the hot weather may be hard on the foliage but at least it seems to help the pods ripen. With the exception of the MoA I'm still waiting for my Chinense varieties to ripen in the cooler weather we've had here. No complaints though, we still have time!

Keep 'em green buddy!

Paul thanks for the info.....

Nice job keeping the 3rd yr Fatali around, it looks densely plush.
Seems like you're getting mid summer temperatures for the final run through autumn. Hope you get harvest(s) into November !
Have a great week !

onefowl1 said:
I have not but will check it out. Between being busier than planned at the nursery, fighting our hot summer keeping everything hydrated, moving to smartphone and tablet for most of my online time. Still trying to find a way to post pics from my tablet as I got it for that purpose as it goes with me everywhere.
I've toyed with the idea of using my wife's iPad, but use the 'point and shoot'
because it's so convenient, even if the pics aren't as great.  

Keep up the good work, Jacen!  Looking forward to more pics!

stickman said:
I see there's been lots happening out your way Paul... you seem to be as busy as I am, lol! I do a pretty good job of making it look like I'm busy!   ;)  Lots of color too... the hot weather may be hard on the foliage but at least it seems to help the pods ripen. With the exception of the MoA I'm still waiting for my Chinense varieties to ripen in the cooler weather we've had here. No complaints though, we still have time!

Keep 'em green buddy!
Right on about the heat effect, Rick.  Interesting that the JA Red Habanero and the 7 Pot Jonah
have been ripening up at a fast clip, while many of the other chinenses have only ripened up a
few baby pods.  

About this time of the summer, I start fretting about the cool Fall weather ahead  
and the number of green pods on the plants!  It would be great if we could have three or four
months of 75-85 degree weather instead of the wider extremes for a shorter time.  We've been
lucky the past two years with a pretty extended grow season.

Keep that grow rollin' in high gear, buddy!

PIC 1 said:
Paul thanks for the info….. Sure thing!

Nice job keeping the 3rd yr Fatali around, it looks densely plush.
Seems like you're getting mid summer temperatures for the final run through autumn. Hope you get harvest(s) into November !
Have a great week !
That is my hope, as well!  The only downside is that the cooler temps will not produce pod heat so much.  
Another thing I've noticed this season is the number of really bumpy pods on a lot of the plants rather than
the smooth surfaces the pods usually have.  I know some of the varieties like Romy's BrainStrain are super
bumpy to start with, but even some of the ones I've grown before are putting out some bumpy critters.  I'm
wondering if it is due to the high temperatures we've been having this season.

Are your Jonah's yellow? Everything is looking great. I learned after one season to NEVER grow the wild Brazil again. They produce like mad and one can easily spit out over 1000 pods. 

Back