• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Are your Jonah's yellow? Everything is looking great. I learned after one season to NEVER grow the wild Brazil again. They produce like mad and one can easily spit out over 1000 pods. 
Yes, the Jonahs are dark yellow-orange with pod shapes all over the map, but
there are a few really nice stinger pods on the plant I'll save for seed.  I'm OP
in my grow, so I hope I can get some nice seed out of these.  

The WB is pretty incredible, all right.  I will be interested to see how they ripen up.  
So far just a few here and there.

PaulG said:
Yes, the Jonahs are dark yellow-orange with pod shapes all over the map, but
there are a few really nice stinger pods on the plant I'll save for seed.  I'm OP
in my grow, so I hope I can get some nice seed out of these.  

The WB is pretty incredible, all right.  I will be interested to see how they ripen up.  
So far just a few here and there.
You will beg for mercy when they all ripen at once! I ended up pulling the plant and having kids pick them off hahahaha

It's 9:00 a.m. and the temp on our deck is 80˚!
This is going to be a hottie. 

Just a couple of pics I snapped this afternoon.

The Goat's Weed - Stc3248, started last August.  Has been pinched a number of times, a couple due to aphid infestation
last winter/spring.  It is loaded with black pods with at least as many more at the beginning stage of growth.  I wish it was
easier to make out the pods.  They stand out like sore thumbs in the sunlight:
DSCN0733a_zps6c4c64f9.jpg

The Bhut Jolokia, red - Spankycolts, 2nd generation.  Hooked on Dec 27 and grew at a snail's pace for the longest time, then
started to grow out nicely.  It's in a four-gallon pot
DSCN0729a_zpse0c91806.jpg

I was knocking off some yellow leaves when I noticed these   :dance:  :mouthonfire: :
DSCN0730a_zpse11b5442.jpg

103˚ here today   :fireball:   Looks like about 20˚ cooler tomorrow and 30˚ cooler the next two days, then back to mid-to-upper 80's    :cool:   for the next 7 days.  
Possibility of thunder storms with hail   :evil:  the next 36-48 hours.  Hoping our little valley dodges the bullet on that one   :pray:

Sweet find Paul, Ah I mean Hot find.... Sometimes when we just give the plant a looksy we dont see em till ya actually get in there pulling the branches side to side...

Everything is looking really great Paul!! The F1s on the mystery cross certainly looks like it has the larger pods. I will be interested in the taste of the f2s . I wonder if they will make good powder? I certainly envy the health of all your garden this season Paul .. its a credit to you!

You're plants look really good, Paul, especially considering the high temperatures you've had.  Glad to see you're getting a break from the heat.

The GWH looks good.  If the pods ripen like mine did last year, it'll be easy to tell when they're ripe.  They should turn to a creamy light yellow.  They weren't as "white" as I had hoped, not like the white bhut.  I'm looking forward to seeing how my white 7s (2 sources) compare to the GWH.

Portuge said:
Sweet find Paul, Ah I mean Hot find.... Sometimes when we just give the plant a looksy we dont see em till ya actually get in there pulling the branches side to side...
So trtue, buddy.  When I looked again yesterday, I found
about 20 little just-set pods!  That's what I'm talking' about!

Hope you are having a good week, James!

Trippa said:
Everything is looking really great Paul!! The F1s on the mystery cross certainly looks like it has the larger pods. I will be interested in the taste of the f2s . I wonder if they will make good powder? I certainly envy the health of all your garden this season Paul .. its a credit to you!
Hey, Tristen!  I ate half of one of the red pods yesterday when getting them ready
to dry - lit my mouth up pretty good!  I sampled a piece of the yellow next, but it
tasted really harsh.  I need to give it another try on a 'virgin' tongue when they get
a little bigger.  the F2 has lagged behind the F1 in terms of pod-setting and ripening,
but it should wind up with just as menu pods - it's loaded.

Any credit for the success of my grow so far goes to the creator and to all the great folks
on the forum who set me up with awesome seeds, including you, my friend!
DSCN0747a_zps9d33d859.jpg

Sawyer said:
You're plants look really good, Paul, especially considering the high temperatures you've had.  Glad to see you're getting a break from the heat.

The GWH looks good.  If the pods ripen like mine did last year, it'll be easy to tell when they're ripe.  They should turn to a creamy light yellow.  They weren't as "white" as I had hoped, not like the white bhut.  I'm looking forward to seeing how my white 7s (2 sources) compare to the GWH.
Thank you, John.  Your contributions to this season's grow are much appreciated.  
Everything you sent is performing well!  The BJ yellow has several ripe medium-sized
pods on it, and the Reaper and F. Reaper have some sick pods forming on them!  The
7 Pot Burgundy is starting to color up some of the baby pods now, too   :party:

Thanks for the tip on the GWH!

Another little bit of a harvest - Sweet Humgarian Paprika - Balázs via Stickman, 7 Pot Jonahs -
GaGrowhead, and some Jamaican Red Habaneros - Devv.  The JA Red is by far the best
Habanero I've grown to date.  Awesome flavor and heat:
DSCN0746a_zps55d03da0.jpg

The Goat's Weed - Stc3248, 2nd generation, finally ripened up a pod:
DSCN0734a_zpsead3bb8a.jpg

Cheiro Recife - Stickman.  Starting to color up:
DSCN0745a_zps18176b71.jpg

The Aji Amarillo just keep on calling my attention to them.    :drooling:   Yummy!:
DSCN0741a_zpsb7418be7.jpg

Odd anomaly on one of the pods:
DSCN0740a_zps8a8953a2.jpg

And a cool double pod:
DSCN0736a_zpsc68d7996.jpg

A funny anomaly on this little chocolate BJ - GaGrowhead:
DSCN0743a_zps065d5dbe.jpg

The 7 Pot Barrakapore - GaGrowhead, is podding up rapidly now.
That's an Indian Carbon - MGold, in the lower right corner:
DSCN0744a_zps70e397ef.jpg

All right - hump day!  Hope everyone is having a good week.

Glad you like the JA Hab Paul, it's a really nice pod. Ramon did us all right by sharing his seeds last season for sure!

Love those mutant pods, it's always cool to see a plant do something different.

Have a great week!

Sorry I haven't been around so many Glogs and so little time. Garden looks great. Jonah's looking fantastic as well as the Goat Weed. Heck they all look pretty tasty. Love the abnormal pods. Nice pics.

Thanks for sharing.

Devv said:
Glad you like the JA Hab Paul, it's a really nice pod. Ramon did us all right by sharing his seeds last season for sure!

Love those mutant pods, it's always cool to see a plant do something different.

Have a great week!  Thanks, Scott!  Back at ya   :cheers:
The JRH is just an awesome plant - looking out for some perfect pods
to get a few seeds from.  Will definitely grow it again next year.

Roguejim said:
Those aji amarillos ripen to red, right?  Most all of my ajis are taking their sweet time to ripen.
Hey, Jim!  The Aji Amarillo is  yellow-to-dark orange when ripe.  They are notorious for
being slow to ripen.  My plants are a year old, so I'm hoping that we have a long
enough Fall for them to ripen up nicely.  Can't beat their flavor, and the heat is decent.

OCD Chilehead said:
Sorry I haven't been around so many Glogs and so little time. Garden looks great. Jonah's looking fantastic as well as the Goat Weed. Heck they all look pretty tasty. Love the abnormal pods. Nice pics.

Thanks for sharing.

No need to apologize, I'm right behind ya   ;)

Thanks for the positivity, brother!

Pulled a bunch of ripe baby pods.  The decent pods are starting to show up now, and ripening is accelerating on many of the plants.  Some haven't found their
groove, yet   :eh: .  A bunch of baby Douglahs on the left.  Across the top: various babies, red Primos, baby Reapers.  Middle row: unknown, Datils, Mountain
Pepper pod - they are way bigger this year than last, and more prolific, some baby peachy Funky Reapers.  Bottom row: orange NagaBrains, a red NagaBrain, a
Chocolate BJ, a few chacoense, a Goat's Weed, and 3 Inca Lost - they remind me of Mike and Ike's:
DSCN0756a_zps5fe8a828.jpg

The big peach colored bunch are PI441598 cross.  Around the horn from the left: Fatali x Savina. Bonda x Yellow 7, 7 Pot Jonahs,
chocolate Bhut, Bird's Eye HTM:
DSCN0754a_zpsd06af73e.jpg

Datil - Romy6, setting some very nice pods:
DSCN0753a_zps366a41b0.jpg

Funky Reaper - Sawyer.  Starting to set some serious pods:
DSCN0748a_zpsb51158ab.jpg

DSCN0749a_zps9f91cc15.jpg

DSCN0750a_zpsf2c50404.jpg

Reaper - Sawyer.  Also starting to set real pods:
DSCN0751a_zpsdc6403c9.jpg

And some gnarly Douglahs with a different shape than the baby pods:
DSCN0752a_zps476ccd07.jpg

Excellente Mr G! I'm pulling some baby pods myself about now...    The Douglah's more mature pods look exactly right... wide and multi-lobed 2/3 of the way down, then quickly tapering to a blunt point. The bottom 1/3 also looks like it was pinched in on most of the pods, and overall they look bumpy and matte instead of smooth and shiny. Great job Paul! With the change in Terroir, I'd be curious to see if you detect the same aroma and flavor in your pods that I did in mine last year. Definitely  strong Chinense with no sweetness at all, and notes of earth and wood in both aroma and flavor. I took Jamie's (and others) advice last year, and smoked the pods with cherry wood before making sauces or putting them in the dehydrator and grinding for powder... it was a big improvement.

Have the Cheiro Recife started ripening yet? They should be any time now. Cheers!

stickman said:
Excellente Mr G! I'm pulling some baby pods myself about now...    The Douglah's more mature pods look exactly right... wide and multi-lobed 2/3 of the way down, then quickly tapering to a blunt point. The bottom 1/3 also looks like it was pinched in on most of the pods, and overall they look bumpy and matte instead of smooth and shiny. Great job Paul! With the change in Terroir, I'd be curious to see if you detect the same aroma and flavor in your pods that I did in mine last year. Definitely  strong Chinense with no sweetness at all, and notes of earth and wood in both aroma and flavor. I took Jamie's (and others) advice last year, and smoked the pods with cherry wood before making sauces or putting them in the dehydrator and grinding for powder... it was a big improvement.

Have the Cheiro Recife started ripening yet? They should be any time now. Cheers!
Thanks for the heads up on the Dougies, Rick!
I'll keep the cherry wood smoke in mind.

The Cheiro Recife has indeed started ripening up.  
I'll try to grab a pic in the next day or two, bud!

Back