• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Beautiful plants and pods Paul! Seeing your Goat Weed reminds me I haven't grown that beauty in awhile.

Thanks for the kind words. My wife, although feeling fine, is still in uncertainty whether it's Diver or not. She seems to be missing certain symptoms that normally associate. Nonetheless we are proceeding as if it were the case with a scope set for next month. She had a large ovarian cyst at the time of her hospitalization which is gone now. There is thinking that it ruptured while morphine hid the pain.

Sorry for the gloomy post, Hope you have a great day!

capsidadburn said:
Beautiful plants and pods Paul! Seeing your Goat Weed reminds me I haven't grown that beauty in awhile.

Thanks for the kind words. My wife, although feeling fine, is still in uncertainty whether it's Diver or not. She seems to be missing certain symptoms that normally associate. Nonetheless we are proceeding as if it were the case with a scope set for next month. She had a large ovarian cyst at the time of her hospitalization which is gone now. There is thinking that it ruptured while morphine hid the pain.

Sorry for the gloomy post, Hope you have a great day!
The GW is a dependable variety, for sure; you can always count on it to produce comments!

I hope your wife is feeling all right.  Nothing worse than not knowing what's really going on.

Your post isn't gloomy, my friend.  These things just happen sometimes.  
Your family is in our thoughts, Mike.

Glad to see the harvests Paul, those baby pods are gone now and the regular size should jump in their place.

Keep it green, and it's Friday!

Devv said:
Glad to see the harvests Paul, those baby pods are gone now and the regular size should jump in their place.

Keep it green, and it's Friday!
I hope sooner than later, Scott!  Lots of great looking green pods on
the bushes; now it's just waiting for enough good weather to ripen things up.
I want to have some ripe pods to take up to the NWCF in Sept.!

Hope you are having a great weekend buddy!

PaulG said:
Pulled a bunch of ripe baby pods.  The decent pods are starting to show up now, and ripening is accelerating on many of the plants.  Some haven't found their
groove, yet   :eh: .  A bunch of baby Douglahs on the left.  Across the top: various babies, red Primos, baby Reapers.  Middle row: unknown, Datils, Mountain
Pepper pod - they are way bigger this year than last, and more prolific, some baby peachy Funky Reapers.  Bottom row: orange NagaBrains, a red NagaBrain, a
Chocolate BJ, a few chacoense, a Goat's Weed, and 3 Inca Lost - they remind me of Mike and Ike's:
DSCN0756a_zps5fe8a828.jpg

The big peach colored bunch are PI441598 cross.  Around the horn from the left: Fatali x Savina. Bonda x Yellow 7, 7 Pot Jonahs,
chocolate Bhut, Bird's Eye HTM:
DSCN0754a_zpsd06af73e.jpg

Datil - Romy6, setting some very nice pods:
DSCN0753a_zps366a41b0.jpg

Funky Reaper - Sawyer.  Starting to set some serious pods:
DSCN0748a_zpsb51158ab.jpg

DSCN0749a_zps9f91cc15.jpg

DSCN0750a_zpsf2c50404.jpg

Reaper - Sawyer.  Also starting to set real pods:
DSCN0751a_zpsdc6403c9.jpg

And some gnarly Douglahs with a different shape than the baby pods:
DSCN0752a_zps476ccd07.jpg
Looking great Paul.. those douglah "alphanerdz" are looking more like there Grandmothers pods now ... should light you up plenty as well!!

How's the HTM Ristra looking now?

Good luck for the continued good ripening weather ... all the pods grown in that heat should reward you with plenty of heat in return!

Trippa said:
Looking great Paul.. those douglah "alphanerdz" are looking more like there Grandmothers pods now ... should light you up plenty as well!!

How's the HTM Ristra looking now?

Good luck for the continued good ripening weather ... all the pods grown in that heat should reward you with plenty of heat in return!
I'm afraid just about everything I'm growing will light me up   :shocked:

Here's the HTM rista; growing little by little:
DSCN0769a_zps8a14065f.jpg

Our weather is holding for the moment - around 28-30˚C, give or take, for the next 10
days.Should be great growing weather, with a partly cloudy day every three or four
days.

Here's a nice, gnarly pod from your F1 hybrid, Tristen.  I'll save the seeds from this one:
DSCN0767a_zps6f53fd71.jpg

Hope everything is good down your way.  I had a hernia surgery on Monday, so am slow getting around!

The Goat's Weed finally ripening more than one pod at a time:
DSCN0772a_zps878ab87a.jpg

An awesome 7 Pot Jonah pod:
DSCN0762a_zps387c1e88.jpg

Intense chinense scent, and hot.  I nibbled the tip of the round half and my mouth had effects for 15-20 minutes:
DSCN0766a_zps66d4590a.jpg

The oil was very evident:
DSCN0765a_zps63818634.jpg

Some not white Yellow Bhuts and the Jonah:
DSCN0764a_zps779c8543.jpg

The Goat Weed cross hits 10'!
DSCN0759a_zpsea7316b8.jpg

bpwilly said:
You sure that Goat Weed is not Jacks bean stalk?  What a beast!
Haha, Willy - you might be right!

The amazing thing is that it's growing in an 8-10 gallon container;
if it was in deep soil no telling how tall it might get.

It will be hard to harvest the top pods   :rofl:  

Nice write up Paul !
I like the appearance of the rista...you can see the older chili's on the bottom by the aged woody stems.

Things are looking good Paul.  I tried doing a rista many years ago and the cayenne pods all got some funky junk inside them.  Ended up pitching them all.

Your GW sure is getting tall.  If that thing branches out well you can use it a shade tree.

Keep it green!!!

Hey Paul hope you are recovering fast from that operation! Your garden this season is a testament to your skill for sure ... great health and vigour in all the plants .

Hey folks, been down for a while.  Really hard to sit for too long at the
computer due to my hernia incision, so I've been avoiding it.  I have a
bunch of old pics to post, and a bunch in my camera to work on.  Just
pretend it's mid-August!
jsschrstrcks said:
I tried to make a Ristra once, FL I think is too humid for that. *chuckle*.

A sunny window over a heater vent works pretty well, even here in the PNW!
But I suspect the humidity would get you down there because it's so warm.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Things are looking good Paul.  I tried doing a rista many years ago and the cayenne pods all got some funky junk inside them.  Ended up pitching them all.

Your GW sure is getting tall.  If that thing branches out well you can use it a shade tree.

Keep it green!!!
Thanks, Jeff.  Tough break with the Cayennes.  Mine practically dried on the vine in the 2012 season!
It's fairly low humidity here, despite all the talk of rain in Oregon.  As for the GW hybrid, measured again yesterday at 10'2"

PIC 1 said:
Nice write up Paul !
I like the appearance of the rista...you can see the older chili's on the bottom by the aged woody stems.
Good eye, Greg!  The Bird's Eye have a brown dried stem, the Goat Weed's stem is dark green.  
I have a picture in the backlog somewhere.  As for the GW hybrid, measured today at 10'2"  :party:

Sawyer said:
Hey, Paul, have you sampled the NWYB yet?  Those pods don't look quite like the parent, but if they have the banana fragrance, that'll be a good thing.
I'll be picking a bunch in the next day or two and will be sure to check that out.
That is one productive plant!  Early to ripen, and just keeps on crankin'!

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks great Paul. Goats weed looking tasty. That 10 footer is crazy. Cool looking Jonah.

Have a good day.
The Jonah has spit out some great pods - pics below somewhere.

stickman said:
I've been hearing about a lot of landslides out your way Paul... hope all is well with you. :pray:
We're good here - Folks along some of the creeks, rivers, and streams have to be on the lookout
if they live on or below a hill.  Thanks for asking, bro!

jsschrstrcks said:
Just wondering what your favorite pepper has been this year either in terms of eating, or growing, or whatever criteria you choose :)
I think the Inca Lost is at the top of the list.  Juicy, flavorful and a bit of heat.  On the supers end
of the spectrum, anything with 7 in the name is pretty good, the JA Red HB followed by a handful
of others.  Tough to be too selective - a lot depends on mood!  After I do some more drying and
powdering, I'll have a better idea of what rocks.  I haven't forgotten your pkg., bro, just slow getting to it!

Devv said:
That GW is insane!
No kidding - and it has lots of pods.  Nice beefy  inch-and -a-quarter pods just now starting to turn red!
I need to rent a skyhook   ;)

Trippa said:
Hey Paul hope you are recovering fast from that operation! Your garden this season is a testament to your skill for sure ... great health and vigour in all the plants .
Thank you, my friend.  I hope your grow is getting off the ground as we speak.    
I need to get around the forum a bit now that I'm healing up a little!

The weather has just been stupendous.  The heat has created pimply pods on a
slew of different varieties.  One of my watering zone controllers went tummy up
so I have a job to do tomorrow.  I'm going to take the chance to reroute the
supply - I've never liked the way it turned out    :banghead:

Thanks for your patience, everyone!  Here is a bit of a catch up, starting about Aug 21 or so.

Managed some pulls for the dryer last week:
DSCN0779a_zps3375834b.jpg

DSCN0780a_zps6d8c7224.jpg

The Charapitas are mis-labeled.  They are Cheiro Recife pods:
DSCN0773a_zpse5cca420.jpg

In the dryer - just a variety of stuff:
DSCN0781a_zps41013f7b.jpg

DSCN0782a_zpsd491269f.jpg

DSCN0775a_zpsd6ab608d.jpg

The 7 Pot Burgundy - Sawyer, is producing some beautiful pods:
DSCN0776a_zpsc33bbd10.jpg

Not white Yellow Bhut - Sawyer,  Lots more ripe pods now: