• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

stc3248 said:
Best of luck this season Paul!!! Will be watching when I can. Very nice selection as always.
Thanks, my friend.  I hope you have a boring and uneventful
deployment and come back safe and sound to grow more chilis!

Jeff H said:
Nice looking plants Paul. The greenhouse seems o be working its magic.

It has its moments, Jeff!  Just needs to be bigger!

beerbreath81 said:
everything looking really good. nice growth (and pic) of the OW. Love the look on the fatally bonchi, you did a great job on that one. ;) . Plants are getting BIG, keep it going Paul.

Thanks, Anthony!  I hope the bon chi produces some chills - there are little buds forming on it!

tsurrie said:
fantastic plants man, good job... love the greenhouse (it looks very similar my father in law has), does it have those automatic roof opening oily mechanism?

No automatic windows.  Its a pretty good greenhouse for a hobby kit.  
Got it at Harbor Freight 5 or 6 years ago for $299.

Devv said:
Wow Paul!

Those plants will be 3' tall come plant out!

Goliath is almost that now!

PIC 1 said:
Wow !

Paul you're getting great results in the GH. Lookie at those plants.......wonderful growth !

It might be time to break apart the root masses and place those girls into 5 gallon buckets.........they will be rocking with peppers...all year long

Best of luck with this years season !

Thanks, Greg!  You are so right - time to pot up, only I don't have room in the
greenhouse for 6 5-gallon pots, so the Aji Amarillos went into 1.7 gal. pots today.  
I'll do the Manzanos tomorrow.

Root bound, indeed.  Lots of nice, thick white roots
_DSC2663a_zps7eac6b94.jpg

Liberating the roots from their confines:
_DSC2666a_zps55d57040.jpg

Room to grow a little more.  I hope the 6.5 liter
pots will hold them for a couple of months!:
_DSC2662a_zpsea1b2379.jpg

I too have greenhouse envy.

What do you put in that soil?!

I had a sickly yellow manzano germinate today after a month in the plug. Hoping it hooks properly. These guys sure aren't easy to grow.

stickman said:
The Brown Egg seeds I tried to start last season never thrived, but I have hopes that John's seeds do better... :party:
PaulG said:
I hope they do well for you, Rick.   Jason sent my seeds,
and they were pretty dependable.  It's an interesting plant.

The seeds I sent to Rick are extras from some Jason sent to me last year.  I hope they're still viable.  Guess we'll find out shortly.

Thanks, fellas - will respond to posts when I get a minute!

Some minor activity in the round two seeds planted on 2/14.  Data here.

Updated germination Data here.

​Scored some great ZooDoo from the local zoo.  Mostly composted animal bedding
and herbivore poop (mainly elephant).  Got a level pickup bed for free - about two yards:
_DSC2667a_zpsbacf537e.jpg

A little organic super grow mix from the local bulk supply place, mixing with the zoodoo:
_DSC2668a_zps9dbb7a6c.jpg

Pinoy83 said:
thats one heck of a roooooooot balllllll :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:
I'm afraid it will fill up the new pot too fast!

Roguejim said:
Paul, can you tell me about that greenhouse of yours?  Dimensions?  Do you break it down ever?  How does it handle wind?  Do you have a heater for it?  Thanks.

It's a 6 x 8 kit from Harbor Freight.  I leave it up year around, and it
has handled winds up to 45 mph so far.   I do have a little space heater,
Patton is the brand - a great unit for less than 15 dollars!

Pulpiteer said:

Wow, look at those roots! Nice work Paul! We're into the time where your greenhouse really begins to kick in, aren't we?

The roots seem to love the Fox Farms soils!  

With some heat and light, the little greenhouse does okay!

maximumcapsicum said:
I too have greenhouse envy.

What do you put in that soil?!

I had a sickly yellow manzano germinate today after a month in the plug. Hoping it hooks properly. These guys sure aren't easy to grow.
Just good old Fox Farms.  

With some dilute fish fertilizer/Cal-Mag for good measure   ;)

Hope your manzano pulls through.

PaulS said:
Looking great Paul nice work
Thanks, Paul!

Peter S said:
Plants are looking really nice Paul.

Thanks, Peter, been lucky so far!

Devv said:
Those plants should really take off in their new shoes. I know mine did!

I hope they slow down just a tad!

Sawyer said:

The seeds I sent to Rick are extras from some Jason sent to me last year.  I hope they're still viable.  Guess we'll find out shortly.

They still are John, and thanks for passing them along! There are 3 hooks this morning.

Nice score on the "zoo poo" Paul, that aughta be a good feed for your plants!

I'm a little disappointed in the recent germination rates on some of my seeds this round.  
Three of my favorites haven't shown a hook, yet.  Data here.

Check out the growth on the Aerogarden plants while you look at the data:
_DSC2671a_zps32197ea0.jpg

Sawyer said:
Elephant poo for elephant-sized pods?
:rofl: Yeah, I'm sticking my grow down plants directly into a wad of elephant poop!

stickman said:

They still are John, and thanks for passing them along! There are 3 hooks this morning.

Nice score on the "zoo poo" Paul, that aughta be a good feed for your plants!

Glad the Brown Eggs are working to provide for ya, Rick!
Hope they exceed expectations

I think the ZooDoo should be money from what I have read on line.

Man, I'll bet the neighbors are digging that heaping pile of elephant poo!  You're tough, Paul.  Now, you wouldn't be planning on using this exotic manure on your "growdown" plant, would you? :shh:

PaulG said:
I'm a little disappointed in the recent germination rates on some of my seeds this round.  
Three of my favorites haven't shown a hook, yet.  Data here.

Check out the growth on the Aerogarden plants while you look at the data:
_DSC2671a_zps32197ea0.jpg

:rofl: Yeah, I'm sticking my grow down plants directly into a wad of elephant poop!

Glad the Brown Eggs are working to provide for ya, Rick!
Hope they exceed expectations

I think the ZooDoo should be money from what I have read on line.

Those leaves look so healthy, really perfect.
Good score on the zoopoo, thats a great idea

Man, those plants look healthy. Keep it up Paul.

Question on the green house: How low are your average low temps outside, and how much do you have to run the heater to keep temps from getting too cold?

Nice score on the poop Paul!

I wish I had access to volume. I can drive around the place and harvest cowpies during the winter when they have a drier consistency as the "turd rollers" don't eat so much of it. Several yards would be great!

Roguejim said:
Man, I'll bet the neighbors are digging that heaping pile of elephant poo!  You're tough, Paul.  Now, you wouldn't be planning on using this exotic manure on your "growdown" plant, would you? :shh:
Thanks, buddy!  Should get the pile used up by today!

Then I can get some more Saturday!  I'm saving a big wad of
elephant poop to plant my grow down plants in!

PaulS said:

Those leaves look so healthy, really perfect.
Good score on the zoopoo, thats a great idea
The AeroGarden light does a good job.

This is my first year with it - I'll keep posted on how it's working this summer.

Jeff H said:
Man, those plants look healthy. Keep it up Paul.

Question on the green house: How low are your average low temps outside, and how much do you have to run the heater to keep temps from getting too cold?
Thanks, Jeff.

In the winter, extreme lows get down in the teens, usually low 20's, usually
for a month or so total time.  The rest of the time lows in the low 30's
are normal up until April-May, when things start to warm up.  Here's a link to
climate data for our region if your interested.

The heater usually comes on for a few minutes at a time, then cycles off.  On a
real cold night It might run for several hours total time at 1200 watts, the lower
setting on the unit.   when the temps warm a bit, the heater time drops off a lot.
I usually try to keep the minimum temps at 50˚, but it's a fly-by-wire thing, since I
don't have a temperature controller on the heater, just a mercury switch on the
thermostat.

I'm using a Patton heater ($12.95 at HomeDepot four seasons ago.)

Devv said:
Nice score on the poop Paul!

I wish I had access to volume. I can drive around the place and harvest cowpies during the winter when they have a drier consistency as the "turd rollers" don't eat so much of it. Several yards would be great!
It's pretty nice to just be able to roll up to the
zoo in my pickup and get a couple of yards for free.

Cow pies are good.

Zoo manure. That's terrific! What a nice sized pile.  Nothing like free fertilizer.
The other thing I took from your story was that I really need a pick up at some point...

Plants continue to look great.

Back