• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

Your areogarden plants look great.
Have you noticed much differrence between the plants you started in the aerogarden and your other plants?

:party:   These are the eighteen final cut from the first round of seeding.  They range in age from 26-31 days except for two late starters that are at 24 days.:
_DSC2615a_zps47141303.jpg

There are lots of little root tips poking out the cup holes.  Time to start transplanting into 2-liter pots, probably start on Valentine's Day.  I'll be starting round two at
the same time, so I'll have to get some potting up done to make room for any new starts that happen to develop:
_DSC2614a_zps02ed2664.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Those are very orderly 3 coty plants. Normally they look a little ugly before they get their trues going, but those look nice and normal.  Normal is good   ;)

Great job Paul! AeroGarden is on my wish list, right after a house and a surrounding organic garden for kitchen/putaway.

An Aerogarden would work great down in your area.  Like Jamie,
you could just be starting plants year-round!
Portuge said:
Love seeing seeds grow into seedlings... I'm slacking here really need to get into the garage and clean off the shelf... Definitely have to start the seeds you sent me Paul, gotta get em going....

Good luck with those, James.  I hope they pop for ya! 

Time's a-wastin', my friend   :cool:

PaulS said:
Your areogarden plants look great.
Have you noticed much differrence between the plants you started in the aerogarden and your other plants?
The Aerogarden plants definitely outgrow their dirt cousins while they are in the
Aerogarden.  Once transplanted and mature, I don't see a lot of difference.  
It's nice when you only want to start a few seeds at a time.

Looking Great Paul!, I've been holding off on culling but tomorrow about 18 will get the axe. Just been hoping those little buggers come around but it's not going to happen. Those poor guys have been on death row over 2 wks with no improvement. Cheers Pal.

organic pepper said:
Looking Great Paul!, I've been holding off on culling but tomorrow about 18 will get the axe. Just been hoping those little buggers come around but it's not going to happen. Those poor guys have been on death row over 2 wks with no improvement. Cheers Pal.
Thanks, Aaron.  Culling is a necessary evil, I guess.

Sorry some of your little plants are stalling out.  
But it's survival of the fittest, right?
stickman said:
I'd say you're running on rails mr G! Keep up the great work!
Thanks, Rick.  Tough to garden in the snow, huh?

I'll bet you will be glad when that stuff is gone!

PaulG said:
Thanks, Rick.  Tough to garden in the snow, huh?

I'll bet you will be glad when that stuff is gone!

You said it Paul! I'm home instead of out working today because we're getting yet another monday snowfall... this makes the third in a row. During winters like these it's hard not to get the "shack nasties." :confused:

Paul, your plants are all but jumping out of those Solos!  Get after it!!  Have you ever inspected the root systems on any of your stalled plants that were started from peat pellets?  I'd be curious to hear what you find.  I inspected my stalled seedlings this year, and found the root systems were unable to get beyond the pellet.  I rinsed away the peat, put them back into a Solo cup with potting mix, and watched them rebound. 

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking real nice .Hard to imagine some are only 26 days old .You running that light 24/7?
The little Chocolate Bhut hooked on 1/15, so it is exactly 24 days today.

14/10, I believe. I'll have to look.  
compmodder26 said:
Final cuts look great Paul!  Looking forward to round 2.   :woohoo:
Seems like it's coming awfully fast, Brian!  
Not sure if I'm ready   :rofl:
D3monic said:
Looking very good, such thick green foliage. Hope mine start to take off like that. 

It's all about the light.  And the fan.  
Together they contribute to robust growth.

Don't worry - give 'em time!
Roguejim said:
Paul, your plants are all but jumping out of those Solos!  Get after it!!  Have you ever inspected the root systems on any of your stalled plants that were started from peat pellets?  I'd be curious to hear what you find.  I inspected my stalled seedlings this year, and found the root systems were unable to get beyond the pellet.  I rinsed away the peat, put them back into a Solo cup with potting mix, and watched them rebound. 

Used to happen all the time, before Jason told me the secrets
to using Jiffy pellets.  Now I have great success rate with them.
Sounds like you came up with a good fix.

Your wish is my command, Sahib!

First round of pot-ups.  Decided not to wait for the 14th   ;) :
_DSC2633a_zps6c4753c5.jpg

_DSC2635a_zpsac59a925.jpg

_DSC2632a_zps59945b37.jpg

_DSC2629a_zps01414709.jpg

_DSC2628a_zpsbf237a9a.jpg

_DSC2631a_zpse6afcfcf.jpg

_DSC2627a_zpseedca231.jpg

_DSC2630a_zpsc3912085.jpg

_DSC2634a_zpse282782f.jpg

I'll try to get the other half tomorrow.

Roguejim said:
Secrets? And what exactly are these peat pellet secrets, assuming you're not sworn to secrecy?
Here are a couple of posts from last year describing the process briefly:
description
photo

Basically the idea is to moosh them around a lot until the peat is thoroughly loosened up,
then the roots have an easier time.  I transplant as soon as cotys are upright and green,
and even then a few will have a root poking out.

stickman said:
Nice squat, healthy-looking plants Paul! Are you going to pinch any primary nodes to force branching?

Thanks, Rick.  It's hard to see in the pix, but some of them are
putting out branches already.  I am prone to let the plants do
their own thing, and  I usually only pinch if the plants
are too tall for my grow shelf, but I like the method a lot.  Creates
beautiful, bushy plants!

romy6 said:
Well done the master of NW pepper growing . How do you do it  :shh:

Thank you, kind sir!  I just watch what the Florida boys do, and then copy that!   ;)

PaulG said:
Here are a couple of posts from last year describing the process briefly:
description
photo

Basically the idea is to moosh them around a lot until the peat is thoroughly loosened up,
then the roots have an easier time.  I transplant as soon as cotys are upright and green,
and even then a few will have a root poking out.

Thanks, Paul.  I had forgotten about you using this method.  Maybe I wasn't mooshing the pellets deep enough.  In any event, grow on! 

Will you be using any type of shade cloth if we have another scorcher of a Summer?

Solem22 said:
Plants are looking great Paul. Looks like it is going to be another great year for you!
Thanks, Rom.  Here's hoping for another great season for both of us!

Roguejim said:
Thanks, Paul.  I had forgotten about you using this method.  Maybe I wasn't mooshing the pellets deep enough.  In any event, grow on!
 I really work the pellets hard from top to bottom to get them soft and fluffy

Will you be using any type of shade cloth if we have another scorcher of a Summer?

Yeah, Jim.  I made a hanger for some last year.  I need to
order some real shade cloth.  Last year, I just used burlap.

Just got caught up on your glog, lots of great info there. Your plants look amazing! I'm hoping one day to get an Aerogarden, they seem to work really well. Great work on your grow this year.

Back