• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

Yeah, pretty crazy - the weather in Portland is better this weekend than here in S. D. The next week shows temps 10 degrees higher just about every day in PDX. It rained pretty hard here over night. Good chili weather!

As always, nice to see your name on my grow log, Jamie! Thanks for the 'bodacious' response, my friend! Now that plant-out is over I will have time to visit some Grow Logs. Can't wait to see how your grow is progressing, buddy!

Wow everything looks great. Your landscaping all looks great in the background too. Looks really serene. Can't wait to see all the pods you plunder off of all those plants.

Jeff H said:
Wow Paul. All caught up now and Everything is looking fantastic.
Thanks, Jeff. Now just to play the waiting game. I hope all is well with you.
Ozzy2001 said:
Wow everything looks great. Your landscaping all looks great in the background too. Looks really serene. Can't wait to see all the pods you plunder off of all those plants.
Thank you, my friend! I'm hoping the effort pays off; it's a long way to harvest time!
maximumcapsicum said:
These look amazing. The manzabos in the 15 gallon tub are breathtaking. No wonder they call them tree peppers in Peru.
Thanks, Adam. They sort of got out of control during the months they spent in their small containers. Last season, the branches grew clear up into the Red Ozier Dogwood. If the pod production ever matches the growth habit, we'll be in pretty good shape! This is my fourth season trying to grow them. Maybe this will be the year!

Gee Paul, you've been a busy guy and your plants look fantastic! :onfire: It sounds like you've been getting the rain we lack right now... we had .2 inches of rain in the last 3 weeks.

I guess I haven't been very observant... did you start your 2nd, 3rd, etc generation plants from seed or are they over-winters?

Your Pepperoncini plant kinda takes me back... when I was a kid my Dad and I were the only ones in the family who would eat (mildly) hot peppers, and the two of us would finish a jar of the Pepperoncini in an afternoon. We used to think we were so tough then, but we hadn't even heard about anything hotter than cayenne pepper yet. Pretty amusing now. ;)  Keep up the great work!

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah I sowed three different kinds, 15 peat pods apiece. Got two sprouts that I really nursed along and now they're probably my most sprawling plants.
I usually get decent germination, but timing is hard to pin down.  
I'm hoping this Nov. 15th start will be the ticket.  They are starting
to flower again.

Good job nursing the pubescens through infanthood!

stickman said:
Gee Paul, you've been a busy guy and your plants look fantastic! :onfire: It sounds like you've been getting the rain we lack right now... we had .2 inches of rain in the last 3 weeks.

I guess I haven't been very observant... did you start your 2nd, 3rd, etc generation plants from seed or are they over-winters?  They are all from seed.  I think I'm going to dial back
on the OWs - they seem to be more trouble than they are worth.  The c. chacoense might be an exception.

Your Pepperoncini plant kinda takes me back... when I was a kid my Dad and I were the only ones in the family who would eat (mildly) hot peppers, and the two of us would finish a jar of the Pepperoncini in an afternoon. We used to think we were so tough then, but we hadn't even heard about anything hotter than cayenne pepper yet. Pretty amusing now. ;)  Keep up the great work!

We're not doing so hot with rain, either; about half inch since April 24.
Glad I have the irrigation system in place and it's working.  Knock on wood.

Love pickled pepperocinis!  This plant is already loaded with pods; should
be a ton of them come summer.  Nice memory, Rick!

OCD Chilehead said:
Hope you had a good vacation and the plants are well.

We did, Chuck, thank you.  The plants made through the five days we were gone
in good shape thanks to the drip system.  It was cool enough that the bonsais also
made it through fine.

Great pics!

Great plants!

I was a few pages behind and enjoyed catching up.

Hey there Paul, see everything is coming along nicely... Hows the NW corner weather treating you? Its going to be a scorcher this coming week for us here in Cali... Not ready for the 99 degree plus weather...

cone9 said:
Great pics!

Great plants!

I was a few pages behind and enjoyed catching up.
Thanks, Anthony.  A little sun the past few days have done
them some good, but a couple still look peaked.  Thanks
for visiting, bro!

Pulpiteer said:
Your plants are looking great Paul! Now you get to watch them grow and throw out tons of pods for you! Well done!

I hope you are right, Andy!  They are covered with baby pods and flower buds,
so I hope the mature pods will follow suit, and be just as prolific!

stc3248 said:
Wow...they all look so wonderful! That Goronong is freakin loaded! 
Thanks, Shane!  the Goronong is amazing, all right:
_DSC2837a_zps0jademlo.jpg

Tristen said the pod shape could be weird:
_DSC2848a_zpsokwrz1lu.jpg

Portuge said:
Hey there Paul, see everything is coming along nicely... Hows the NW corner weather treating you? Its going to be a scorcher this coming week for us here in Cali... Not ready for the 99 degree plus weather...

Hey, James!  Weather here has been pretty nice, with that past week being warmer than normal.
The plants like the warmer nights.  We still have some cool weather before summer arrives,
so we are enjoying the sun while we get it!

These are from a Lemon Drop pod, but these pods don't look anything like the pod the seeds came from.  
It was about thumb sized and pointed - I got the pod from onefowl1 last Fall:
:
_DSC2841a_zpsdpzwouk0.jpg

Some Jamaican Red Habanero babies ripening up:
_DSC2840a_zpsflgkzcee.jpg

Trippa's F3 Mystery Cross.  Still recovering from losing so much of its top.  
Definitely signs of purple in the new growth:
_DSC2846a_zps7ejc0x16.jpg

The pods start out dark purple, then turn this color:
_DSC2845a_zpskua87ntf.jpg

Can't wait to see what the 'real' pods look like.

JA Red Hans look interesting. Much smaller than the variety I grew with the same name. How's the taste?

The lemon drop offspring look almost like bells. How strange!

Goronong peppers are also quite strange looking. I bet they're hot!

Keep the pics coming bud!

maximumcapsicum said:
JA Red Hans look interesting. Much smaller than the variety I grew with the same name. How's the taste?

The lemon drop offspring look almost like bells. How strange!

Goronong peppers are also quite strange looking. I bet they're hot!

Keep the pics coming bud!
These are all the first baby pods, so don't really have the shape of the mature pods,
which will be much bigger.  The Heat level isn't the same either, but they do sort of
give a preview of what's to come!  I'm not sure what to think of the Lemon Drops, yet!
Maybe somebody is playing a practical joke on me!  Have a great weekend, Adam.

This is Sureño, a Serrano-type pepper from Territorial Seeds:
_DSC2839a_zps4imhn8sz.jpg

Goat's Weed putting out some black pods:
_DSC2838a_zpspwu3vasu.jpg

The volunteer Mystery Pepper.  Reminds me of a Bolivian Rainbow,
which I haven't grown since 2012:
_DSC2844a_zpsrcd1push.jpg

Can you see the pod starting it's purple-yellow-orange transformation?
Maybe they will turn red:
_DSC2843a_zpsxbntnml4.jpg

The Not Giant White Habanero and Fatali x Savina with their tomato bodyguards.
The tomato on the right end is Siletz, from Territorial.  All the rest are heirloom varieties
sent to me originally by Penny for the 2014 season, so are all 2nd generation plants.
Thanks, Penny   :cool:    !  :
_DSC2842a_zps6zfwiwyc.jpg

I hope everyone has a great weekend.  Looks like another warm day for us here.

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow love the shots of the uniform container grow. Nice pots! It's cool that you got multiple generations going. How do you isolate seeds?
Thanks, Adam.  The containers are utility tubs from the local Kroger chain housewares department.  
They were 7 dollars five years ago.  These aren't as good as the original ones I bought 10 years ago
which still work great and aren't falling apart from the sun's UV rays like the blue ones are.  They
won't last much longer, but that's still pretty cheap for an 18 gallon container!

I don't isolate for seeds, yet.  Maybe someday.  I'm toying with growing fewer varieties next season,
so maybe will try to isolate some seeds then.  I have tulle cloth, so will use it to enclose branches/flowers.

Hope you are having a good Spring down your way.

Back