• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019

No grow log for the 2018 season other than the Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques
thread dedicated to Trippa's cross. That one is an ongoing community project going into
second year and a test of the F7 generation. I imagine I will mention it once-in-a-while in
this thread, but the details of its progress will be in the dedicated thread.

I am deciding on a grow list for the 2019 season after growing only Trippa's cross this
season (2018). I definitely have some old favorites that will comprise the great majority
of the grow. I have limited space, so I'm counting on nature to help me make the final
decision. I'll probably start lots of seeds since I'm gun-shy from the poor germination
rates the past couple of seasons.

Here's the pool. Would be nice to be able to grow a bunch of all of them!  I think my
neighbor will shelter the overflow in his yard, but we'll see what to plant and how many
based on what might germinate  :rofl:

c. chinese - 10 varieties
  • PdN x BMJ, F7, white and violet varieties, Trippa's cross
  • Fatali, F2 of seed from Pepper Joe's
  • 7 Pot Burgundy, brown phenotype, pecan shape from 2017 F2 of the 7PB from Windchicken 
  • Scotch Bonnet, MoA, F2 of seeds from John/Sim, not high production, but some nice pods
  • JA Red Habanero, F5 of seed from Walk Good/Devv
  • Yellow Scorpion, F7 aka Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and CARDI Scorpion, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red, F4, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, F3 of seed from Georgia Growhead
  • Bhut Jolokia, hybrid, F2 - I believe it is a  (BJred) x (Pdn x BMJ F1 or F2)
  • Yellow 7 Pot, F2 of seed from Trippa 2013
c. annuum - 4 varieties:
  • JA Red Mushroom, F3, brown phenotype, seed from Refining Fire
  • Pimenta de Padron - Spanish seed, fry up while small and green, throw on some salt
  • Pimenta del Piquillo - Spanish seed, sweet, very flavorful, small stuffers
  • Guindilla - Spanish seed, spicy heat, great pickled, long and skinny
c. frutescens - 2 varieties:
  • Nagahari from Tezpur, India, supposedly very, very hot freebie from Pepper Joe's 2017
  • Chili Costa Rica, F2 (2014) from Hippy Seed Company seed, 2012
c. pubescens - 1 variety:
  • Red Rocoto, F3 of Peruvian Market seed, 2016
That about does it. Seeding time will be here before we know it!

CDNmatt said:
So Paul...how would one go aboot removing those pesky helmet heads??   :think:  I have one pot that all 3 seeds that germ'd all have HH's. None of the 3 look like they are in good shape at all.... :banghead: :banghead:Keeping it moist is one of the key elements
First give the cotys a chance to push the seed husk off
by keeping it moist with a spray bottle or dropper for two
days. Then, I backlight the helmet to see where the cotys
are inside. If there is a clear edge, I use a good pair of
scissors and try to snip the edge off. I might do that in
two places if I can. Then keep moist and wait another
day. You might see progress as the cotys push on the
softened and clipped husk.  If not, I use a pair of forceps
to try to open it up by squeezing the edges of the husk
toward each other. If I see the husk is pretty loose, I might
try to pry/pull it off gently. Careful here 'cuz it's easy to
break the seedling. 

I've been lucky this year, 2/2 successful surgeries.
Nice and clean, no damage to cotyledons, that's 
the goal.

stc3248 said:
What was your BOC seed source on the ones that failed to germinate? 
This one came from MarcV. I still have three or four good seeds.
I'll try again next season with them. The BOC Red is from Georgia
Growhead, originally a regular BOC.  I gave some seeds to my
neighbor (actually a boatload of seeds) and his BOC threw off big,
fat, red pods. That one germinated, the Din Bjarne from Marc did not.

Looks like the gates are open on your season, brother. 
 Cheers  :cheers:

This is for you, Matty...

A Chiltepin pepper seedling that got trapped in
the rockwool. How can I not let this one grow
after all that effort put forth? The helmet head
was adding insult to injury, but looked like an
easy fix:
A4B3CDD1-549D-4258-91DA-F42A266806E0.jpeg

Chief surgeon Dr. PaulG to the rescue!
71D2F7EA-A3D7-40E1-81CF-E35EBE4CA2AF.jpeg

Didn't know what to do with the cuttings I rooted, so...
BC40A7CA-95A8-46DF-8112-D9B575412A04.jpeg

My amateur jury-rig:
EF850876-5E7D-41F6-B4CB-3D90CA571163.jpeg

0DD63299-F5EC-4CFC-8127-E252EC2862B7.jpeg

B504AEFE-E15F-4C5D-9209-7D01B8D4087C.jpeg

C442CCB7-930F-44C1-97BC-43F6ADB44AE2.jpeg

Just whatever temporary containers I had that fit
the AeroGarden baskets. I put them in tap water
for now. They are pale from lack of light for a long
time on my work bench:
4FFED0D1-3F5B-4F86-81FB-C00C33403B97.jpeg

Help :shocked: what do I do now  :scared:

Looks like you're starting some Jade plants as well...cool. Yeah, I only asked because I knew you used Pepper Joes for some of your seeds and the BOC I planted from them one the only variety that hasn't popped just yet. Great to finally be on the board, got more hooks today from the Pepper Lover seeds and more from the Pepper Joes seeds as well. Season is on and that's all that matters. Still need to start my annuums too...and I think I got some sort of frutescens as a freebie, so there will be more than too many as usual. Glad to be back on here...wish a few more of the old crew were still around. Greg, John, Jamie...Rick. Hope some of them show up for a cameo or two this season.

Great stuff going on at Paul's place as usual. I learn something new each time I visit.

stc3248 said:
Looks like you're starting some Jade plants as well...cool. Yeah, I only asked because I knew you used Pepper Joes for some of your seeds and the BOC I planted from them one the only variety that hasn't popped just yet. Great to finally be on the board, got more hooks today from the Pepper Lover seeds and more from the Pepper Joes seeds as well. Season is on and that's all that matters. Still need to start my annuums too...and I think I got some sort of frutescens as a freebie, so there will be more than too many as usual.
   Great progress, Shane! I need to pop over
   to your grow log see all the new pics  :shocked:
Glad to be back on here...wish a few more of the old crew were still around. Greg, John, Jamie...Rick. Hope some of them show up for a cameo or two this season.
   +1, my friend.  I learned a lot from that crew,
   even if it doesn't show sometimes  :rofl:
Great stuff going on at Paul's place as usual. I learn something new each time I visit.
Back at ya, buddy. I can't wait to see what you can
do with no freezing winters to contend with (I think?)
In any case, here's to a season with few pests and
storms.

The Jade plant is actually a bunch of them in a tray,
sort of a group planting. I think they have been in
there almost 10 years, with two replacement media
sessions along the way. They started in 100% sand.

Later: for Shane:
6079F4B4-9FFB-41F2-84E9-A6A0C371167E.jpeg

PaulG said:
First give the cotys a chance to push the seed husk off
by keeping it moist with a spray bottle or dropper for two
days. Then, I backlight the helmet to see where the cotys
are inside. If there is a clear edge, I use a good pair of
scissors and try to snip the edge off. I might do that in
two places if I can. Then keep moist and wait another
day. You might see progress as the cotys push on the
softened and clipped husk.  If not, I use a pair of forceps
to try to open it up by squeezing the edges of the husk
toward each other. If I see the husk is pretty loose, I might
try to pry/pull it off gently. Careful here 'cuz it's easy to
break the seedling. 

I've been lucky this year, 2/2 successful surgeries.
Nice and clean, no damage to cotyledons, that's 
the goal.

This one came from MarcV. I still have three or four good seeds.
I'll try again next season with them. The BOC Red is from Georgia
Growhead, originally a regular BOC.  I gave some seeds to my
neighbor (actually a boatload of seeds) and his BOC threw off big,
fat, red pods. That one germinated, the Din Bjarne from Marc did not.

Looks like the gates are open on your season, brother. 
 Cheers  :cheers:

That is a great piece Paul thanks for that :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was also doing abit of reading today and found a few older threads on the topic..CAPCOM has a good non surgical method I will also try. POST 30- http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53172-helmet-heads/page-2

Normally I wouldn't care so much if I wasn't dealing with so few seeds of each type right now, getting a big head start is pretty important and I seem to be much farther behind then I thought I would be.

CDNmatt said:
Normally I wouldn't care so much if I wasn't dealing with so few seeds of each type right now, getting a big head start is pretty important and I seem to be much farther behind then I thought I would be.
It is a long season, Matty. Plenty of
time to get behind later

Good luck with the helmet heads!

Walchit said:
Just trim 1/32 of an inch off around the edge of the seed then open it like a clamshell.

And gpr, I sure hope I wind up with more than 200! My strategy is just put a shit ton of seeds on paper towels, then whatever sprouts gets 5-6 put in some soil, and (maybe) weed some out by plant out. I will probably do a long row at the in-laws house this year too, Where I try to stick plants I don't want to throw away lol

Geez freakin Louise, thats a lot of seeds. Ive got an acre and Im not that brave, those poor in-laws
Thatll be a crazy row, good luck bud

PaulG said:
You're killin' me, Matty  :lol:

Yeah Paul, me too

CDNmatt said:
That is a great piece Paul thanks for that :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was also doing abit of reading today and found a few older threads on the topic..CAPCOM has a good non surgical method I will also try. POST 30- http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53172-helmet-heads/page-2

Yeah matty, youd be farther if you didnt keep stealing pts...just saying :hot:

CDNmatt said:

On that note, I've found catching them early and topping with peat (i use my peat based starter mix) works really well.  You just have to catch them early enough that when you cover the testa the hypercot will still throw a hook.  Peat seems to work better than "soil" for this IMNSFHO. Moisten it once, then let it dry and the drying peat will lock down and pull the seed coat off.

Totally not helpful, but I had some dumb luck last year with a few helmet heads. I kept them moist, and then used my fingernails.

:party: :party: :party:
One I managed to rip nearly 75%+ of the cotys off.

That plant lived to be perfectly happy and healthy. :rofl:(If still confined to it's solo cup nearly a year later)

Chief surgeon eh? That's it, I'm calling you Doc from now on lol. Things are looking good. I've done similar things with clippings when I had my aero garden (RIP hahaha) it didn't make the move a couple years ago. But after things start going along, I may be doing something along the lines of the baskets in container just to bring plant count up and not waste too many clippings if they are worth saving.

Blitz527 said:
Chief surgeon eh? That's it, I'm calling you Doc from now on lol. Things are looking good. I've done similar things with clippings when I had my aero garden (RIP hahaha) it didn't make the move a couple years ago. But after things start going along, I may be doing something along the lines of the baskets in container just to bring plant count up and not waste too many clippings if they are worth saving.
That's too funny, Alex   :lol:

I agree, however, my "kratky" set-up is not adequate.
I need nutrients and probably algae control, this being
Oregon. 

Also, more adequate pH control.

A visit to the local hydro/garden store is in order.

Back