• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Pepper ID card index (web app.)

Hi,

As I grow several varieties of peppers, a little over seventy, I was tired of repeating the same things when my friends came to visit the garden. So I decided to make my identification cards 4 "x 6" that I printed as a photo ($ 0.10 each) and I put them in a small album.

Each plant in my garden has a label number. (#1)

(#2) Pepper Name
(#3) Species
(#4) Day to maturity
(#5) Pepper Description
(#6) Pepper picture
(#7) section 1    Plant height
        section 2   Plant width
        section 3   seeds harvest year
(#8) section 1    Pepper length
        section 2   Pepper diameter
        section 3   Pepper wall thickness
(#9) section 1    Stage of color
        section 2   appreciation, rating
        section 3   Heirloom, Hybrid, O.P.
(#10) Small pict for detail
(#11) Flower close up
(#12) Scoville heat unit scale
(#13) Min and Max Scoville unit

I did not name the Isolation, Reservation, Winterizing because I'll make a change on the web page, #9 will be replace by two more small image and section 1 and 3 will take place of Isolation, Reservation. A sliding panel
will show more info for personal use. 

all comments that can help me improve are welcome

I forgot to say that the photo on the card were "stolen" on the web, didn't note from what site they are...sorry

the card is made with pure css no image.
for now is Google test only, will add line for Opera and fire fox.

I still have to do the javascript to be more user friendly,  but maybe not until the fall because I am a seasonal worker and I'm not a programmer by trade. 

little update on my project

I have chose jquery easyui treegrid allowing a parent/child relationship between rows. 
Drag and drop the tree node. 
add node. 
add child node. 
editing window with all the fields.

so you can built your tree as you want it
not jus for pepper you can do it with what you want
420255easyui.jpg

will show card index image of the select child node
on all the card images on click will show bigger image in left container
I want to let you sect the color of the two corner tab 
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]the scoville heat unit will show only on select[/SIZE]

163912safi2.jpg

I think that I will use the indexeddb ( Web Databases are hosted and persisted inside a user's browser) to store all info, this way you can work offline.

nuclearDays said:
Looks fantastic, mate :party:

Is it just for you or are you eventually planning on releasing it to the public?
Hello nuclearDays,

I will put it online (hope before the end of the year) so everyone can use it for free.
I will give the link as soon as all the ui component be finish
so bookmark this page  ;)

the ui will also have a color picker for the color stage, something like (http://www.script-tutorials.com/demos/158/index.html)

Very cool, This got me thinking is there a Hot Pepper App for smartphones, if not I'll make one for you guys. I have a little bit of coding skills :dance:

Let me know if there is any interest.

CaptainPeppers,

there are several search engines on the web that will help you find what has already been done for peppers App.

you should start a new topic to see the interest people to your app.

or do as I did, built it for your own needs and share it....

floricole said:
CaptainPeppers,

there are several search engines on the web that will help you find what has already been done for peppers App.

you should start a new topic to see the interest people to your app.

or do as I did, built it for your own needs and share it....

CaptainPeppers said:
Very cool, This got me thinking is there a Hot Pepper App for smartphones, if not I'll make one for you guys. I have a little bit of coding skills :dance:

Let me know if there is any interest.
Very interested in either of these projects. I look forward to see how things develop.

I've seen two apps dealing with this, and both have poor ratings. Plus the one isn't free.

So it appears there is an opening in the market. Just would be time consuming doing writeups and getting pictures to use(legally).

CaptainPeppers said:
I've seen two apps dealing with this, and both have poor ratings. Plus the one isn't free.

So it appears there is an opening in the market. Just would be time consuming doing writeups and getting pictures to use(legally).

yes, lots of time. I did not count them but pass all my spare time on coding.

when my database for desktop be finish, I will Use CSS media queries for responsiveness so user will be able to view on tablet or smartphone.

getting pictures to use(legally)  flickr and picasa have lots of user that like to share their pic, but if you want to sell your app they wont accept you to use them. And you needs lots of knowlege to be sure of the exact species and varieties,

that's why I did a built yourself database.

Little update on my project

I had wish to offer it for new year but I did not finished the programmation yet.
Can't tell you when it will be finish but it's getting better every weeks...

the User interface for the card index Database will be the same as the Public Capsicum Database
just by changing tab you will store your own data on your computer disk or you will be connect to a public Database (php, mysql, ajax, javascript)
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]this way everyone that would want to share their data on the I.D. card will be list in the pepper varieties, with their growing location if given, something like:[/SIZE]
http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/main/showVarieties.php?searchCriteria=&searchIn=0&crop_id=41&sortBy=overallrating&order=DESC&sideSearch=Search 

where you can drop your selected card info or grab info from others.
import or export data to exel, csv, json or mediawiki format

The public database will  start with the one  [SIZE=13.63636302948px]built by the U.K. Chile Head[/SIZE], I have the permission of Graeme Caseltons to use it.
http://web.archive.org/web/20140723201000/http://www.g6csy.net/chile/var-a.html

all image  can be from any url, uri, from local disk or paste from clipboard

almost 75% of the program is completed

qn08vH0.png

some selector at start will be set to: (they will also be use for filtering)
Overall rating:
1 - poor
5 - excellent

Fruit Shape:
A - Apple , B - Blocky[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]L - Long[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]M - Misshapen[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]P - Pointed[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]T - Triangle[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]

Taste:
1 - poor
5 - excellent

Colour:
B - Brown[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]D - Dark[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]G - Green[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]L - Light[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]O - Orange[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]R - Red[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]V - Very[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]W - White[SIZE=13.63636302948px] , [/SIZE]Y - Yellow

Heat:
0 - No heat
10 - Very Hot

The image cropper is 90% done 

built with html5 canvas (javascript) for browser compatibility
WDuGRr5.png

and the color picker using the same, is almost finish.
Let you pick up to 10 differents colors from any image you want.
Creating an ajustable gradient field. 
7ZiytLY.jpg

If you have any comments or Idea before I put it online, please let me know

rlyzZtz.png

like I said before, the application is good for all things you whant to grow not only pepper,

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]I have friends that breed lots of hemerocalis they will appreciate, [/SIZE] I will add a tab, for those who do breeding, 
the forms will keep info for  6-generation Pedigree Chart with 63 entries.
[SIZE=13.63636302948px].... will be add when basic version be online[/SIZE]

I want to make the forms field name [SIZE=13.63636302948px]and also the [/SIZE][SIZE=13.63636302948px]selector [/SIZE]all editable (color,shape ...) for each genus, ex.: capsicum, lilium, so the info can be more specific. 

22.jpg

Thats about it for now going back to the coding

Happy new year to all The Hot Pepper forum Members

Cool idea. Just curious - why are the units of measurement mixed? You have cm for height, but inches for width, etc.

Teamfour said:
Cool idea. Just curious - why are the units of measurement mixed? You have cm for height, but inches for width, etc.
Just because I did the picture when testing for the conversion from Imperial to Metric.
in the preference setting you will be able to select wich one to work with.
it will be convert automatically to the user choise.

Back