vendor Pepper Joe

I ordered my first season's seeds from pepper joe a while back. He has a small selection that he grows out each year. He will send you seeds in little coin envelopes and always sends some free varieties with each order. I had excellent germination rates from all of his seed with the exception of one variety that I ordered. Considering how it was my first season and I was germinating OUTDOORS in soil (dumb dumb dumb) I was very pleased with the germ rates and I assume most of my problem seed was due to poor growing skills in my first season. I also germinated two more of his seeds the next season that had been stored in a drawer for a year, and both germinated.

I will say that he has a higher rate of hybrids than most growers. I'm not sure how he isolates his plants if at all but I've gotten hybrids from him. I also reallllly wish he would post more pictures of his pods because it's really hard to tell what you're going to get. My Bhut Jolokia seeds that I got from him didn't get a chance to fruit the first year, but the second year the plant I grew out ended up not being a true Bhut. I'm not sure if it was a hybrid or what, because it had a pointed shape that looks like a lot of the smaller bhuts I see on the web and definitely had C. chinenses genetics, but it was nothing like the large, wrinkled, superhots you see coming out of the NMCPI. Also probably around hab heat or slightly above, not superhot. I'll post pics on request.

Overall I'd say he's a good source for novice growers but I wouldn't recommend him if you're trying to get superhots and such. There are more reputable sources out there. Overall probably a C+/B-

Pepper Joe, this is probably something I should PM to ask rather than clutter this topic with, but depending on the answer it may interest others.

I notice you have an ad for Penny's Tomatoes on your site. Are you associated with them in any way? My fiance is asking me to order her some tomato seeds and I'd also like to order some more peppers some time soon. Is it at all possible to combine an order from you and Penny's Tomatoes into a single shipment to save on shipping charges?

Penny and Pepper Joe share a Facebook page and share the same YouTube channel but I’m not sure if they will combine orders since they are two different companies....

I have ordered from pepperjoe a few more times always reasonably fast shipping when Canada Post had it's mail strike pepperjoe was kind enough to send replacement packages overall great service great product I just wish they were in Canada....

Hey Tyler,
That Canadian post office can be a bit slow at times...but not as bad as Australia.
:P
Their customs is tough to get seeds shipped through...but the ironic thing is that the Australian companies ship here with no problem.
We do have a lot of Canadian customers. As a matter of fact I just did some advertising on 'Dave's Garden' and spread some of the views for the ad out to Canadian viewers.
Great Gardening north of the border,
Pepper Joe

Pepper Joe, this is probably something I should PM to ask rather than clutter this topic with, but depending on the answer it may interest others.

I notice you have an ad for Penny's Tomatoes on your site. Are you associated with them in any way? My fiance is asking me to order her some tomato seeds and I'd also like to order some more peppers some time soon. Is it at all possible to combine an order from you and Penny's Tomatoes into a single shipment to save on shipping charges?

HI Wulf,
Sure. For you we'll combine shipping charges so that you only pay for one shipment. .
Pepper Joe's and Penny's tomatoes are sister companies (although seperate entities) but we ship out of different locations.
Penny is also my Fiance. So have your fiance talk to my fiance.
:party:
Just kidding Wulf.
It is cumbersome and a pain for us to do this because with our Paypal Shopping Cart we either turn shipping charges 'on or off'...kind of like all or none. But if you email me BEFORE you order (pepperjoe@sc.rr.com), Pepper Joe's will automatically charge shipping costs...but we'll MANUALLY remove the shipping from Penny's Tomatoes. Also, to make sure it doesn't slip through the cracks, please put "CODE THP21 Free Ship" in the COMMENTS section of your Penny's Tomatoes order only.
The cool thing is when you order from Penny's Tomatoes you get 3 free packs of tomato seeds. Pepper Joe's sends you two free packs of hot pepper seeds when you order there...so you'll get 5 packs of free seeds total (a $17 value PLUS save the $4.50 shipping charge at Penny's....not bad)
So now with all of that said....I guess I need to offer that to ALL THP members so that the rest of the members don't get pissed off at me.
So consider the offer good for all....just follow the above instructions when ordering.
If you're not familiar with Penny's Tomatoes check them out at http://www.pennystomatoes.com
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe
:dance: :P :dance: :P :dance: :P

HI Tyler,
Actually we JUST added Myco Blast and Soil Blast to our website and shopping cart. Myco Blast adds billions of beneficial fungi, probiotics and natural soil microbes to your soil. Soil Blast increases soil fertility with natural plant Biostimulants. Both products are 100% natural and are exclusive to SupremeGrowers. Myco Blast treats about a dozen pepper plants....Soil Blast treats 500 Sq. Ft. of garden.
The packets are $3 each or two for $5. I offer the Soil Blast 10 packets for $20 because you can use it throughout the growing season for maximum results (you can also just add it to your current fertilizers)...Myco Blast use just once and the colony of the beneficial stuff is established permanently.

myco blast.jpg

Myc Soil Blast.jpg

Myco blast marketing.jpg

myco blast + soil blast.jpg

Great Tyler....keep us all posted. Several customers on our Facebook page are swearing by it. A few got great results soaking seeds overnight before planting in the Myco Blast. Just 1/2 tsp. in 2 oz. of water. Anxious to get more feedback.
Pepper Joe

First time grower here...

I ordered from Pepper Joe a few months ago. I ordered the "Volcano In a Box"
So far I've managed to germinate Serrano peppers, and Scotch Bonnet peppers. My 7-Pods have not germ'd yet and they where paper-toweled in the same manner as the Scotch Bonnets. I then attempted to germ using Rapid Root pods seedling tray and heat mat. After I noticed the other peppers sprouting up. I moved them out of pods and into a cup of water. They show no progress and appear to be unresponsive. I'll let you know if the 7-Pods sprout. The 7Pods spent about 4-5 weeks in a wet paper towel on a heat mat. From there they spent about another week in a 72 cell tray.

img1597t.jpg

After the paper towel method, I tried to germ in the 8 cells you see above. I did the same thing with the 7Pods and they are now back in water soaking as they did not germ. I'm pretty confident that the seeds where not fried on the heat mat, as you can see, the serrano seeds seem to be doing fine.

"Bonnet" not "Bonet" lol.

Thats that. I'll let you know how those turn out as they begin to grow up :)

Hi Flame thrower...again, THANKS for being a customer. The SuperHots like the 7 Pod do take longer to germinate. No surprise the Serrano would come up first.
I've received great germination reports on the 7 Pod...so keep me posted and needless to say if they don't come up I'll gladly send you a replacement pack.
Thanks,
Pepper Joe

Thanks pepper joe! Ill keep you posted. I'm not giving up on them! :) The Scotch bonnet are looking good and the Serranos and doing quite well! I started some Trinidad scorpions today as well, so ill keep you posted. :) thanks again!

Ordered on sept 30th order 16057 still not here...if you send a replacement pack in the mail will it take another 29 days + :mad:

Sent:17/10/2012 3:52 PM
To:'Tyler
Subject:RE: FROM PEPPER JOE`S

Hi Tyler.. I have had customers get back to me from Canada that it has
Taken 29 days to receive their order. Please be patient. We have no way
of knowing how long customs will hold orders.
Silvia

Ordered on sept 30th order 16057 still not here...if you send a replacement pack in the mail will it take another 29 days + :mad:

Sent:17/10/2012 3:52 PM
To:'Tyler
Subject:RE: FROM PEPPER JOE`S

Hi Tyler.. I have had customers get back to me from Canada that it has
Taken 29 days to receive their order. Please be patient. We have no way
of knowing how long customs will hold orders.
Silvia
To:
Subject: RE: FROM PEPPER JOE`S
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:26:12 -0400

[font="Calibri""]Your order was shipped on the 4[sup]th[/sup]. I am going to mail out a replacement order. Please[/font]
[font="Calibri""]Let me know if you receive the first order in the meantime.[/font]
[font="Calibri""]Thanks,[/font]
[font="Calibri""]silvia[/font]

To:
Subject: RE: FROM PEPPER JOE`S
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:26:12 -0400

Your order was shipped on the 4[sup]th[/sup]. I am going to mail out a replacement order. Please
Let me know if you receive the first order in the meantime.
Thanks,
silvia

Hi Tyler,
Sorry about this late shipment.
We typically ship out within 3 or 4 business days...in your case it was 4.
The two worst post offices that we deal with throughout the world are Australia and Canada in terms of delivery...unfortunately for speed of delivery you are in Canada.
Obviously once we ship them it is entirely in the Canadian Post offices hands.
The good news...chances are you'll wind up receiving two orders of seeds.
You have plenty of time to grow your peppers with your weather factor...and if you are growing indoors, not a big deal to wait a little longer.
THANKS for being a customer and we do appreciate you.
Pepper Joe

I know it's not your fault and I'm happy that a replacement is being sent and that's why I shared the emails so people will know your company is great. My only worry is that if Canada post or Canada customs messes up again will it be another 29 days?

Back