• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pepper sale, by invitation..lol

Okay pepperheads, I have been invited to the local university to 'shop' for pepper plants next week. I would like some help in picking what I will put on my 'gotta get it' list. Can some of you please tell me what here is unusual, hard to find, extra delicious , or what you use it for or such.... all feedback is greatly appreciated:

Anaheim TMR.
Ancho San Martin
Autopick
Bhut Jolokia
Big Chile Hybrid
Black Hungarian
Bolivian Rainbow
Caribbean Red
Congo Trinidad
Fatalli
Fish Pepper
Garden Salsa
Habanero
Holy Mole
Hungarian Paprika
Hungarian Wax
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jaloro
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Large Red Thick Cayenne
Long Purple Cayenne
Long Red Slim Cayenne
Mesilla Hybrid
Mucho Nacho
NuMex Bailey Piquin
NuMex Big Jim
NuMex Twilight
Pasilla Bajio
Pimento de Padron
Poblano
Santa Fe Grande
Sahuaro
Serrano
Serrano Tampequino
Super Cayenne II
Tabasco
Tepin
Thai Hot
Variegata Trifetti

SWEET PEPPERS

Albino White Early
Ariane Orange Fabulous
Better Belle
Big Bertha PS Hybrid Green
Blushing Beauty Hybrid Scarlet
California Wonder Green Sweet
Carmen Hybrid Red
Chinese Giant Hybrid
Chocolate Beauty
Corno di Toro Red
Corno di Toro Yellow
Emerald Giant Green/Red Large
Giant Aconcagua
Giant Marconi Green to Red
Golden Cal Wonder Yellow
Golden Marconi
Golden Summer
Golden Treasure
Gypsy Hybrid Green
Italian Pepperoncini Yellow
Jimmy Nardello Red Italian
Lilac Lilac/Purple
Marconi Purple
Marconi Red Red
Orange Sun Deep
Pete wonder

Thanks in advance, AHF:cool:

AmericanHwyFlower said:
Okay pepperheads, I have been invited to the local university to 'shop' for pepper plants next week. I would like some help in picking what I will put on my 'gotta get it' list. Can some of you please tell me what here is unusual, hard to find, extra delicious , or what you use it for or such.... all feedback is greatly appreciated:

Anaheim TMR. ?
Ancho San Martin?
Autopick ?
Bhut Jolokia, Never grown myself but had good reports.
Big Chile Hybrid, good reports
Black Hungarian, heard of it
Bolivian Rainbow, useless ornamental
Caribbean Red, apparantly very good
Congo Trinidad, hot as f^&k
Fatalli, very nice flavour, my favourite
Fish Pepper ?
Garden Salsa, don't know but i like salsa
Habanero, what kind? Chocs taste a little bit like passionfruit
Holy Mole ?
Hungarian Paprika ?
Hungarian Wax ?
Jalapeno, jals are always good
Jalapeno Tam, if it tastes like tim tams i want
Jaloro ?
Jamaican Hot Chocolate, growing next year
Large Red Thick Cayenne, anything large, red and thick is meant for ladies
Long Purple Cayenne, see above
Long Red Slim Cayenne, hehehehe
Mesilla Hybrid ?
Mucho Nacho ?
NuMex Bailey Piquin, piquins have a good reputation
NuMex Big Jim ?
NuMex Twilight, tastes like crap
Pasilla Bajio ?
Pimento de Padron ?
Poblano, very good reports
Santa Fe Grande ?
Sahuaro ?
Serrano, hot and tasty
Serrano Tampequino ?
Super Cayenne II ?
Tabasco, very prolific and very mouth watering, ask the aphids
Tepin, do not leave home without (ask hippy)
Thai Hot, tastes very nice if you are referring to the cherry
Variegata Trifetti ?

SWEET PEPPERS

Albino White Early
Ariane Orange Fabulous
Better Belle
Big Bertha PS Hybrid Green
Blushing Beauty Hybrid Scarlet
California Wonder Green Sweet
Carmen Hybrid Red
Chinese Giant Hybrid
Chocolate Beauty
Corno di Toro Red
Corno di Toro Yellow
Emerald Giant Green/Red Large
Giant Aconcagua
Giant Marconi Green to Red
Golden Cal Wonder Yellow
Golden Marconi
Golden Summer
Golden Treasure
Gypsy Hybrid Green
Italian Pepperoncini Yellow
Jimmy Nardello Red Italian
Lilac Lilac/Purple
Marconi Purple
Marconi Red Red
Orange Sun Deep
Pete wonder

Thanks in advance, AHF:cool:

Im not into sweet peppers, unless in is pronouced "Sqwwweeeeet":hell:

I'd do the Bhut Jolokia, Caribbean Red, Congo Trinidad, Poblano, Serrano, Tobasco, Tepin.

Man, wish I had your dilemmas.:)

I agree with all of the above ^^, but would add Pasilla if you like Mexican food, as a compliment to Poblano. Both can be used raw for stuffing or slicing, and dried for salsas or chile powder. If you want pretty plants, the fish pepper looks cool and tastes good. Thai hots look great too, and are tasty in stir-fry and homemade curry paste.

More on your plate!

what patrick said but i don't know about serrano and poblano cause you can probaly get them from s supermarket. I would also add the fatalii

Corno Di Toros are rally great tasting sweet peppers, but they are tall, rangy plants, so be sure you have room for them. the Marconi's are nice sweet peppers, too.

As to the hot peppers, how much heat do you want, and what kinds of things do you plan to make out of the peppers?

Monster sale

AmericanHwyFlower,

I was in Fullerton yesterday and had a volunteer show me there pepper plants that will be on sale on the 19th. It's called the Monster Tomato & Pepper Sale. The pepper plants look great I would definetly check out the Bhut's

PepperMo

Hey peppermo,
You got a preview of the peppers??!?!? Groovy, I can't wait to go, they said folks travel from Santa Barbara and San Diego to Fullerton to buy at this annual event.
Yeah, I will most likely get a bhut and a few others as well.
I posted to get some real pepperheads thoughts on others that they have had experience with.
The common ones I probably have or can get locally. It is my inexperience with the rare ones that I needed guidance on.

Preview

Yes I was walking around in the rain yesterday checked out all the peppers and tomato's went back and took a look in there greenhouse again a volunteer took me on a little tour and answered a bunch of my questions. The Bhut's Fatalii's and the Jamacian Hot Chocolate would be the superhots that would be a must. I thought I saw Tepins on your list if these are avilable these would be another to get.The Tepins are super hard to start I have seen established plants they literally give thousands of peppers but hard to start.
I will be there on the 19th I was told to be there early this event is getting bigger every year first time for me really looking forward to going.You mentioned your going next week?

Wow, I wish they had a sale like that near me. The tomato guy at the spring flower festival always has great tomato selections, but he only brings a few pepper varieties, and most of them are sweet.

Pepper sale

Pam,

We are fortunate to have this sale I found out about last year after the event was past I know of no other events selling pepper plants of any kind I was told that the peppers last year where not in that in that great of shape. Like I said I got a look at the peppers this year and they look great.Imagine how I felt when a couple of members of this forum where talking about just driving over to Cross Country Nursery just an hour away from them.

peppermo said:
Pam,

We are fortunate to have this sale I found out about last year after the event was past I know of no other events selling pepper plants of any kind I was told that the peppers last year where not in that in that great of shape. Like I said I got a look at the peppers this year and they look great.

ARGH! Stop! You're making it worse! Envy overload!

Imagine how I felt when a couple of members of this forum where talking about just driving over to Cross Country Nursery just an hour away from them.

Same way I do?

Back