• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Another simply awesome update Greg!

I don't know how you find the time to manage all those plants, let alone the harvests.

And your cooking, just to die for!

I don't blame you, if you scale down some. Somehow I feel it won't be by much.

I'm jealous, 1.5 years to retire? That's just great! Glad you picked a career with retirement. My first offered none, just go until you're too broken to work anymore. So at 41 I changed; my countdown has already started, 5 years from Christmas is my day. Not trying to wish away years for sure. But it's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Cat looks like it is accusing you of not telling it that the pepper was really hot. lol

Ha......he usually plays soccer with one on the kitchen floor. I'm sure he's bitten into one....but it doesn't phase him.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write out the recipe, looks great. 

I estimate based on the 49lbs being a weeks harvest that you are picking about 2000 hot peppers a week which is 12 peppers ripening an hour every hour.  If it took you an hour to write the recipe down and post it up during that time all the peppers required for the recipe would have "grown" statistically speaking!  That is boggling to think about!

Devv said:
Another simply awesome update Greg!

I don't know how you find the time to manage all those plants, let alone the harvests.

And your cooking, just to die for!

I don't blame you, if you scale down some. Somehow I feel it won't be by much.

I'm jealous, 1.5 years to retire? That's just great! Glad you picked a career with retirement. My first offered none, just go until you're too broken to work anymore. So at 41 I changed; my countdown has already started, 5 years from Christmas is my day. Not trying to wish away years for sure. But it's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks Scott,
 The indoor start with the seedlings is no prob...and the outdoor startup is routine. But this year has been exceptual...and I just can't keep up with the pepper processing.

Next year will be a smaller grow, but I have over 100 nursery containers (9 gal) in my garage that I didn't use. I'm working on a deal with one of my sisters with using these containers in the lowline area in her yard. We actually need part of our patio back for entertaining....... :party:

Thanks for the food comp.

I'm shooting for a year and a half to retire. I've worked two jobs most of my life. The current one has been for 32 yrs. I'll be maxed out in a year with a gov pension. Also did commericial/wedding/studio photography for 30 yrs......gave that up 5 yrs back....missed alot of driving the kids around when they were young.....lol ........as I said around here, when I retire, the only place I want to work is in my yard..........da truth

Speaking of food here was tonights dinner....got it down before sundown.

Lamb Loin chops that have been marinating over night in Olive Oil, Rosemary, Oregano, Garlic and smoked Brown Hab powder. Other ingredients include: Feta Cheese, Aspagus, 5yr old Smoked Gouda, Flat Braed Dough made with Rosemary, Oregano and Dill, ..Cous Cous

Grilling the Lamb Chops.......over high flame

Rolled out Flatbread....toasted then added Feta...

Gouda was added to the Cous Cous, Flatbread was folded and topped with Tzatziki....Asparagus was steamed.

Don't know about most of ya...but this is how I like my  Loin or Rib Chops..........RARE

Back with some pepper related photos this weekend...
Robisburning said:
Thank you very much for taking the time to write out the recipe, looks great. 

I estimate based on the 49lbs being a weeks harvest that you are picking about 2000 hot peppers a week which is 12 peppers ripening an hour every hour.  If it took you an hour to write the recipe down and post it up during that time all the peppers required for the recipe would have "grown" statistically speaking!  That is boggling to think about!

Statictics....haha.
I was lucky to type out the recipe while I was at work...but in regards to the peppers ripening. What's nearly ripe on the plant tonight can be picked off  tomorrow. I could pick peppers everyday if I wanted to.....but I'm trying not to let it go for more than 4 days, because the load just piles up.

You lost me at feta 
vomit-smiley-011.gif

Pepper harvests and the food pics are all outstanding Greg.

PIC 1 said:
Hot sauce making tomorrow........and more harvesting.......but right now I have to take the chickens off the grill and get the plaintains and collards finished up...

How do you prepare your plaintains? I'm not all that fond of them, but my wife loves them. We usually just fry them in oil but I am always looking for other ideas.

PIC 1 said:

With less plants, or just more time I'd inividually package the pods like in the past....(1.5 yrs to retirement)

Holy crap. You do all of this and you're still working. :eek: I can't wait to see what you pull off once you're retired.

PIC 1 said:

Next year will be a smaller grow,

:liar:

Lamb chops look great!

I haven't had them since I was a kid in NY, they just don't sell them down here that I can find.

Well I'm glad your not working 2 jobs anymore, that gets old. I did the same when we had the ISP, it wasn't a 30 year gig, just 13. Those long days grayed me up! (could just be my age..LOL)

Thanks for the tips on making pepper jelly Greg. I think I'll use apple juice instead of water next time and boil longer before adding the pectin. That must reduce the liquid levels in the pot a bit, no?

Did Sonny take a nibble on that gnarly reaper, or did he know better? ;)

I just about had to run for a bib at the sight of the lamb! I just adore it cooked rare with garlic and rosemary. :drooling:

The updates are far and few between......but the garden is still pumping away......

Starting out with a food shot....I went to the fish market to visit my friends, bringing  a bag of fresh pods and other goodies. I crammed my cooler with a variety of things including some Mahi, which I wanted for some Ceviche.
Ingredients: Shallots, Culantro, Scotch Bonnets, Scallions, Red Currant Tomatoes, Sweet Lime, Orange, Mexican Lime, Lemon, Mahi-Mahi, Saltines, Olive Oil

Skin and chop up the Mahi into 1/4" dice. Add the juice of half of all fruit saving the other halves for day 2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and keep in fridge overnight for 16 hrs.

Remove bowl from fridge and drain the fish. Add remaining juice from leftover fruit halves, along with diced Scotch Bonnets, Scallions, Shallots and Culantro. Fold in 2 tbl of Olive Oil and Currant Tomatoes. The jar on the top is a super hot yellow puree. I added that to my serving as it would have been too hot for others who shared the appetizer.

Salty crackers with the tart tomatos round out the flavor....

Dried 7 Pot pods.......all shades of brown

Wash those Bonnets well.....these will be added to a 5 gal bucket mash.

These Bonnets have been stripped of the seeds along with the others in the 5 gallon bucket. 

Here's the 3rd bucket of ground peppers that I've filled up this season. The first was an all red grind, the second an all yellow. This third one is a little different being is its only Yellow Scotch Bonnets and I removed the majority of the seeds. I'm topping this off with the 3rd liter of Cane Vinegar.
All 3 buckets will be capped and let mellow for a year. Each container weighs around 44 lbs.

We had a good amount of needed rain and the plants are responding well even with the cooler evening temps. One more round of AACT before the real cool temps creep in next month.

Early morning sun.....and a beautiful day today !

more photos with a bump....thanks

Many Bonnets hiding under the canopies...

and Bonnets hanging from branches that have gone down with the count....no contest, one crack was all it took......... :lol:

The " Big Bertha " bell peppers are winners this year. I'll cut these in half length wise and stuuf them with a meat and rice mix.

Hawaiian Chili

Unripe Mustard Habaneros purpling due to over head direct sun exposure.

Caribbean Red Habanero..........tasty pepper for hot sauce making........no bitterness.

Back garden is habbing a good end of the season production.

Red Mourga plant still producing...still climbing in height.

Purple Pequin is filling in the border nicely...lower chili's are starting to ripen red

Red MoA's are taking on a different shape this season.......probably a cross

more shots in a bit...

Large deformed shaped Jamaican Scotch Bonnet..........still tasted the same

The containers between the homes are only getting around 3 hrs of direct sun...the angle of the light has changed, but the plants are receiving indirect light and heat off the fence and homes.

Red Datils

"The Gangway Grab"...bowl of peppers. Red Datils and  Yellow Belize Scotch Bonnets on top

A bowl of Orange Scotch Bonnets ( Bahama's )

Galapgoense chili

Galap canopy

Cumari chili

An EOB ( Elysium Oxide Bonnet ) seeds via Mike ( capsidadburn)

Bonda ma Jacques x Yellow 7 Pot 

one more round of photos with a bump....thanks

Amazing grow!! Looks like you using 15 gallon pots? I have my habs in 3 gallon pots but will try to upgrade to larger ones. Thank you for the inspiration and props for getting a Hawaiian pepper to grow up there

Two cases of each flavor......Calypso sauce this week, Scotch Bonnet next

Shots of this weeks harvest...White Bhut and Yellow Scorpion on top

Red and Yellow Fatali's

Hodge Podge of sorts

Looks like the last few harvest shots....but it ain't. Another 49 lbs worth. I snatched 8lbs of Scotch Bonnets out for a sauce. The rest are in large brown paper shopping bags waiting for the dehydrators.

thanks for checking this out.....another month and I'll be wrapping my glog days up...

Hawaiianero said:
Amazing grow!! Looks like you using 15 gallon pots? I have my habs in 3 gallon pots but will try to upgrade to larger ones. Thank you for the inspiration and props for getting a Hawaiian pepper to grow up there
We have a TS in Maui .......the seeds were from a  market in Kaanapali

Excellent harvest Greg,You see that delicious hot papaya and that kickin Red fury are a hit at work with my fellow coworkers. The guys ask me where they can get their own, sorry but these you cant buy off the shelf... Love the Hot papaya brotha you did an excellent job blending all the flavors together... Cant forget about hitting the Scotch bonnet sauce from time to time.

Back