• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Man, that's quite a haul for this time of year Greg! It's obvious you're grow is much bigger than mine, 'cause you're aging 5 gallon pails of pepper mash and I'm just doing quarts... :P  Good on ya brother!

The ceviche looked excellent too, but I don't think I could convince my Wife to eat any... she has a "thing" about undercooked foods.

Very nice Greg. So you just mix the peppers with the Cane Vinegar and seal it for a year? Does it ferment at all, or does the vinegar stop that?

stickman said:
Man, that's quite a haul for this time of year Greg! It's obvious you're grow is much bigger than mine, 'cause you're aging 5 gallon pails of pepper mash and I'm just doing quarts... :P  Good on ya brother!

The ceviche looked excellent too, but I don't think I could convince my Wife to eat any... she has a "thing" about undercooked foods.

True Rick, the harvests are still coming in strong. I may just do another 5 gal mash with all the remaining green unripe pods. Hopefully the hard frost hods off until November.

Technically the Ceviche  is cooked from the acids....too long in the juice and it will pick up the acidic taste and become mealy.
I take it your wife wouldn't be into any Bluefin Tuna Sushi................ :D  
ronniedeb said:
Very nice Greg. So you just mix the peppers with the Cane Vinegar and seal it for a year? Does it ferment at all, or does the vinegar stop that?

Ronan that's all it takes, grind up the peppers, food safe bucket and enough vinegar to cover....some folks use salt. I'll add mine when the hot sauce process takes place. The mash will not ferment due to the vinegar and the peppers will mellow. The ph was at 2.9 before I screwed on the lid. I periodically give the containers a shake.......my daily workout..........ha

I have whole peppers in both 1 and 5 gallon containers with vinegar for over 2 yrs.....incredible flavor in both the vinegar and the pods. 

PIC 1 said:

True Rick, the harvests are still coming in strong. I may just do another 5 gal mash with all the remaining green unripe pods. Hopefully the hard frost hods off until November.

Technically the Ceviche  is cooked from the acids....too long in the juice and it will pick up the acidic taste and become mealy.
I take it your wife wouldn't be into any Bluefin Tuna Sushi................ :D 

S'truth brother... Maki rolls are out... for her at least. ;)  Thanks for the tip on aging peppers sans ferment... I put in a quarter cup of lemon juice and 3% salt by weight in a quart of mash and ended up with a pH of 3.6   With the salt included, would you say that's enough, or should I add some more lemon juice?

Beautiful Greg!  Absolutely stunning.  Pictures are top notch,  food looks amazing,  pods and plants are as healthy as can be!  I'd like to see a picture of the bottom of that Red MoA!  So many peppers,  so little time....

So how is the flavor different the way you age your peppers compared to a ferment?  Seems that would be an easier way to go.  Do you do them by type, color, or just hodge podge? 

By food safe you mean use a bucket that said came with 5 gallons of pickles in it.  Then latch the lid on like they normally would, basically air tight.

PIC 1 said:
Ronan that's all it takes, grind up the peppers, food safe bucket and enough vinegar to cover....some folks use salt. I'll add mine when the hot sauce process takes place. The mash will not ferment due to the vinegar and the peppers will mellow. The ph was at 2.9 before I screwed on the lid. I periodically give the containers a shake.......my daily workout..........ha

I have whole peppers in both 1 and 5 gallon containers with vinegar for over 2 yrs.....incredible flavor in both the vinegar and the pods. 
Whoah, ok you just took my understanding of preserving and flipped it upside down.
So you mince the peppers up in a food processor, put them in (sterilized, food grade) buckets, top them off with cane vinegar (never heard of that type, would apple cider vinegar work?), seal them up and hide them away for a year (dark, temp controlled?) and just shake them around without opening once in a while (daily?, weekly?).

Do you ferment to make sauce or go right to the stove and add your other ingredients, then bottle?

Wow, naw that's what I call a harvest Greg! The house and garden are looking good as usual and those mashes at a year should be very tasty :)

Awesome harvest shots, plant shots, pod shots, sauce shots, food shots, and anything else I failed to mention.  Love the red datil, and from the looks of your red fatalii, the one I OW isn't true as it's pods are nowhere near the size of the yellow or jigsaw pods.

Super!!!

Over the top photography and advice as usual, Greg!  

I will be interested in your reply to Hawaiianero.  I need to learn to do something
with my pods besides make powders, but as a cook I'd make a good plumber   :lol:

a few photos on a rainy day ................from last weekend..........lol

Here's a bone-in pork roast that was marinated over night in some Scotch Bonnet sauce and then dry rubbed with a Guavaberry Jerk powder. Smoked at 225 F over pimento wood..........juicy

"Trick or Treat"................well, not yet but I do remember the dayzz of overflowing bags of candy.

These peppers were off some of the back garden plants last Saturday, I'm finally getting a good amount of Datil's.

Anyone know what the yellow turk looking pods are ? They're nothing that I've grown before...and aren't the "Brown Bhutlahs"...that they're suppose to be............ :lol: 

Here's a selection that Trish and I brought up to the bar last weekend for the football games...

As usual, I tried a few even though I already know what they taste like.....that dam Brain Strain always puts a halt on things....ha

This weekend we're heading to Charlotte for the Bear's game.......if our flight doesn't get cancelled........ :confused: 
Looking forward to tailgating and some of the East Coast bbq

Part of the last harvest,

BG 7

This is probably the last large pick. (42 lbs) Although the plants are still producing, what use to be an over night surprise with newly ripened pods is turning out to be a slow progress of color now that the evening temps are in the 40/50's. I spent a good portion of time after work the last few days processing the peppers.........no extra time....no extra fun !.
Next year I'll be cutting my grow back to around 100 plants..........that's for sure.

This is a super hot red  mash (8% salt) that has very few seeds. It took me a couple days to clean and grind the pods. 5kg at a time, it's in a 5 gal bucket (42 lbs)  ... I intend to let this run at least 6 months. After that amount of time and sourness will have mellowed and I can process this with vinegar and other ingredients.

Some brown pods....to be smoked and ground

Next...Last  update in about 2 weeks............see ya'll then

Greg

Awesome, Greg.  Your shot of the pods on the board shows an amazing variety of
peppers!  Naming contest?

Another amazing update Greg!

I'm with ya on toning things down a bit, the grow season here has dominated my time for sure. It sure is fun, but I also have other interests.

Downtime coming soon ;)

Back