• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Oh my goodness Greg.  That was an epic update to say the least!  I'm am just amazed which I shouldn't be cause I am looking at your Glog after all.  That Jerk Chicken has me droolin brotha.  Made my stomach growl!  Gonna go pull some chicken out of the freezer right now!

Thanks for the kind words.....folks............I'll try to answer a few responses...

Trippa said:
Nice experimentation Greg ... so potentially the root pruned plants will have much bigger yields once they branch ... ?? I assume that is more to do with the lighting differences though?

Root pruning will promote a stronger plant ....more branching, more nodes......possibly more fruit.
The difference in lighting does make a difference. The MH penetrates through the canopy......7200k. The 6500k flouros does a nice job ....but can't compare in the long run, especially with a taller dense growing plant.

Jeff H said:
Excellent update Greg. Worth the wait.

Of course, everything is looking good, I wouldn't expect anything else.

I can't believe I beat you by at least a few days on a Jigsaw pod. Just found my 1st yesterday. :dance:

I need to get back to tea brewing. Did a couple batches then got lazy. Time to get back.

Hey Jeff...congrats on the Jigsaw pod. I have a few plants with the tallest around 2.5 ft. Plenty of flowers...just hoping the pods turn out gnarly.

The tea brew is a good thing...I have a batch running right now.....It's rained for the last 2 days, but I'll still foliar feed this evening.
Pepper-Guru said:
Seriously, I'm coming over. 

:rofl:
capsidadburn said:
Just plain amazing Greg!  The home and garden magazine's should be at your door again this season!

Thanks Mike............when I get through answering a few here, I need to check in on some other glogs....yours being one of them
OCD Chilehead said:
Thud. That's the sound of my jaw hitting the ground. I love the tea setup. Very pro. . The plants are amazing. Do you hand water all of them? Very beautiful garden. I made the mistake of showing your pics to my girlfriend. LOL. Guess what? She wants me to step it up a notch in the yard.

Haha..........thanks, ...yes I do hand water, usually a hand sprayer on the ole garden hose....3 hoses in different locations. We've had quite a bit of rain the last few days. The plants should be fine until we hit the 90's during the weekend. I'll use a 2 gal watering can for the teas and a 1 gal pump sprayer for Epsom Salts, teas...or Fish Emulsion treatments. I've tried dry hoses for the back garden.......what tends to happen, all the plants get watered at the same rate, whether they need it or not. Since I mainly container grow the edibles I like to check each container which have a good draining medium.. Some may not need any while other plants can be thirsty. It might take me an hour to do the whole garden.....not too bad, it's only a backyard...and alittle extra.

Pretty cool your gal wants you to step the garden up to the next level............I've heard different....at times...... :lol:

stickman said:
Glad to see you're back in fine form despite cold temps and hail Greg! I'm lovin' the Jerk chicken too! :drooling:  Excellent foodie pics as usual. Have you ever made puree from the Yellow 7s? I've been using it to make Jerk marinade, and I think it's fruity qualities make it a good choice for that role... I just use a little less than I would of Habs... say a level tablespoon per batch. Cheers!

Rick I would think a Yellow 7 puree would be hot and tasty....and I'm sure 1 tbl would give the marinade quit a punch.

Here's one of the puree's that I've made...all red Naga's and Scorpions......Alabama Jack.s recipe......dang HOT !

One way of sampling it.........or take it off a spoon......like a crazy chef....... :lol:
Spicegeist said:

Do you see or taste a big difference between the Naga Morich and the Dorset Naga you grow?

Interesting question.....the pods look similar, but what I've noticed from the past the Dorset plant grows squat and pumps out at times 3 to 4 pods per node late in the season. The Naga Morich grows similar to the Chocolate Bhut....tall and conical. I've had 5 ft'ers. As far as the taste....I probably couldn't tell the difference in a blind taste test......as with the Assam's Bih's and other Jolokia's....very similar.....very regionally alike.
Jamison said:
Oh my goodness Greg.  That was an epic update to say the least!  I'm am just amazed which I shouldn't be cause I am looking at your Glog after all.  That Jerk Chicken has me droolin brotha.  Made my stomach growl!  Gonna go pull some chicken out of the freezer right now!

Thanks Jamison......take some of your MoA's and pickle them at the end of the season.....that's how I handle them, especially the green ones
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Most excellent update Greg and love the food as usual! 

Thanks Chris.................been meaning to check the cooking sections out, I'm way behind on that
romy6 said:
 Now I am kicking myself for not making the time to come visit you . Always in awe of your garden and photo skills . 

Sheet...all we'd be doing is some heavy drinking...........what kind of fun is that !

PIC 1 said:

Here's one of the puree's that I've made...all red Naga's and Scorpions......Alabama Jack.s recipe......dang HOT !

One way of sampling it.........or take it off a spoon......like a crazy chef....... :lol:

Oh man... that hurts to just look at... lol! Did you have many takers? :mouthonfire:

stickman said:

Oh man... that hurts to just look at... lol! Did you have many takers? :mouthonfire:

Sure everyone wants to try it.....at least once......some don't return.....then you have the folks that will eat it off the spoon....and want the pint jars.
Outside of eating a fresh uncooked  chutney of super-hots....this is one of the hottest things out of my stockpot

PIC 1 said:

Sure everyone wants to try it.....at least once......some don't return.....then you have the folks that will eat it off the spoon....and want the pint jars.
Outside of eating a fresh uncooked  chutney of super-hots....this is one of the hottest things out of my stockpot

Man, I know that is painful stuff. Here is a batch I made last year of all Butch Ts. Just about totally inedible straight. :fireball:
20131006_151409.jpg

In hindsight, if I do this again later this year, I'll use a different pepper that tastes better than the TSBT. Maybe the reaper or good old red ghost. The pepper flavor is so prominent in AJ's recipe that you need a good tasting pepper.

Jeff H said:

Man, I know that is painful stuff. Here is a batch I made last year of all Butch Ts. Just about totally inedible straight. :fireball:

In hindsight, if I do this again later this year, I'll use a different pepper that tastes better than the TSBT. Maybe the reaper or good old red ghost. The pepper flavor is so prominent in AJ's recipe that you need a good tasting pepper.

Jeff you're right about making the puree with the right pepper........It's similar to a Cayenne vinegar or Habanero vinegar hot sauce ......can't change those distinct flavors. Like'em or leave'em............the Naga's have the flavor that I like.

Jeff H said:

+1 on that brother! I grow Butch Ts for the kick, but dry them for powder blends or add in small amounts to sauces... they'd be too much for straight consumption!

Holy
Toledo!

This glog makes me feel like I've stumbled into the Sistine Chapel of pepper gardens.

Immaculate and unbelievably beautiful with an essence fantastique. .

Jeff H said:

20131006_151409.jpg

Red Bhuts... now that's what I'm talking about!

Wow Greg!

You hit a home run!

I could fill several pages commenting but will keep it short. ;)

Made some puree last year from Reapers and a few (very) Primos, using the same recipe. The taste was great, and the heat too!

Can't wait for the next update!

Awesome Greg.. thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions ... and mostly for posting those amazing pictures ... as for puree I think a good candidate for a hotter one would be the red bhut Jolokia 'Assam' and for a lesser heat the cili Goronong would be a hit I think (plus they have a deceptively fleshy pod because of the formation of the pods). Anyway I am sure you don't need my ideas you seem to be doing pretty well by yourself ;) ... best of luck Greg for a continued thriving season!

Essegi said:
^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G,
Thanks for the update. I know it has been a busy spring for you. Glad to see your plants doing well. The purple pequin will play with the fish nicely,not sure if they can compare to the maui purple though,those plants are amazing.

I like the galapa experiment. Those are by far the nicest starts I have ever seen. Curious to hear your opinion on the flavor. A lot of seeds and stems :high: but interesting flavor and pretty hot.

Thanks again for all the inspiration and knowledge and most importantly your friendship! I hope all is well.

Back