• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Incredible pull Greg! Things are finally starting to fire on all cylinders here as well. Sampled my first South African Naga King last night, and was really impressed by the heat and flavor. They did something strange though... I wonder if you've noticed the same thing... for about 20 minutes after the initial burn subsided I'd get random flare-ups on my tongue and lips.

Have a great holiday weekend, and keep up the great work!

PIC 1 said:

Here's some of my original Red Bhuts. These seeds were ordered online way back when from a dude that lived on the North Shore of Oahu Ha. He had the nastiest Bhuts growing at the time...
.and the way I look at it...island grown is always the best........
Volcanic Soil that is......what were you thinking ?...........Island Flowers........... :D 

Armageddon...........haven't tried one yet

This Bombay Morich is rolling right along....fast ripening pods and the plant is 5 ft +

Mustard Bhut....still have a few more days to muster-up

Heck, all I did was ask my son Mike to snap a photo of me working in the garden. He got a shot of me digging..shoveling down an IPA.... :party: 
It was a hot day and the harvest was over.....ha

Biggest one day harvest yet, this year

closeup shot

Bagged and weighed in at 32.6 lbs...all 2 gallon bags
From this point I'll separate the "Brains from the Bonnets"........Dr Pepper.......har,har

Yellow peppers for a puree (22 lbs) ...currently in the process of making and will pressure can tonight..more photos this weekend

thanks for checking this out.
Hope everyone has a safe weekend !

Great pull and great pics!

Wow what an awesome backyard! Those plants and pods look awesome! I like how those plants build a mini jungle around your patio area!!
What kind of dehydrator are you using? I saw a round plastic setup and a rectangular metal tray.

That huge harvest shot is amazing!  I've kept your design for the AACT brewer pulled up on one of my tabs, wondering if I want to do something similar.  Great that it's worked out so well for you.  Although, I don't remember your harvests suffering too much before you used it  ;) .

short and sneaky update.....

7 Pot Chaguanas.....growing between the houses.....even with only a few hrs of direct sunlight, the plants are starting to ripen up.

another gangway plant..... :lol: ..........Yellow 7 x Bonda Ma Jacques

Sunrise Scorpion.....this plant is doing quite well with less afternoon sun. The plant that I have in full sun in the yard gets pretty beat up when its 90+. The foliage wilts and since the pods grow up they can get sunburn easily. 

UBSC Red

Another UBSC Red....I liked these peppers so much last year I grew half dozen plants this season.

One of a few different shaped Scorpions that I'm growing.....these are blunt bottomed.........no tails

Bumpy Habanero.........1st time growing these, seeds from Brandon (Big Cedar)

Brain Strain

Jamaican Red Habanero. ....I placed one of these plants between each Arborvitae. These plants get around 5 hrs of direct sun and thrive with the extra shade.

Another variant of the Yellow 7 x Bonda Ma Jacques......seeds from Gary (windchicken)...via Charles (Spicegeist)

Ah...Oh.....that's 10 photos !...........back in a flash

thanks...

Finally, a ripe UBSC Brown.......I'll pick this one off tomorrow and slice it open........just to look at it..........lol

Last week I took 22 lbs of Yellow, Naga's, 7 Pots......some Bonnets and Congos...and reduced it down to a puree. Food milled all the seeds out .
I ended up with over 17 pints of pure Magma.

My harvest usually starts with the back garden.....heres a small box of goodies.

These African Yellow Congo's are always monsterous.......not big seed cavaties, lots of flesh for your sauce making needs....

Galapagoense.........most of these plants are becoming pretty dense with foliage.

I only have two Scotch Brain plants...due to a seed filing mishap.......one of the plants are putting out pods with tails.....all of them

Jays Peach Bhut Scorpion

Yellow Bouquet......those who have grown this know the herbal upfront taste thse produce.

Another Galapagoense..........must be the great weather we're having , cause  these plants just keep extending the branches

Charapita......everytime I look at this plant I think to myself....one of these days I'll have to harvest those peas....but not today

a couple more shots soon....

What the garden looked like after last Sundays harvest.........leaves on the ground, .........pods on the table and a beer in hand.

a pile of peach pods

closeup of harvest.....another positive day

It keeps getting bigger and better..........over 43 lbs.........of hot peppers.......no medium heat or sweet peppers here.
This beat last yrs one day pick in total weight.

Bagged up by color and heat level.........Sunny the cat is playing "periscope" :D  with the patio umbrella pole.............

Over 8 lbs in Scotch Bonnets...........I can see a sauce brewing soon..!

Well no sauce this week.........It's Jelly Time........the start to a Caribbean flav...Jamaican Red Habs, Scotch Bonnets and dried Apricot

Well the Caribbean Jelly turned out good.....but

I needed to make one for the chiliheads......."A confetti of ribboned superhots".....this will make a cold cup of cofee seem warm........ :P

Finished jellies....Confetti in the fron row.....Caribbean in the back...

dang that's it for the photos tonight......I'll try to respond to some past replies tomorrow and other glogs..
thanks for checking this out..

Greg.

Barley-pop57 said:
WOW !!!  Nice !!!  What is AACT ??? Never heard of it....does one buy it or make it ?   Anyway looking good !!!!

Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea

Here's an idea what's happening from the growing forums.....if you hadn't seen it yet
bpwilly said:
Curious, are you spraying all these plants with the AACT or just watering them with it?  I ask, because for me, when I spray them, a single gallon of AACT goes a long ways, since I cut it anywhere from 4-1 or 2 -1 with water.  I know you have lots of plants, thus my question.

Thanks

I start out with the sprayer and whats left gets used for a soil drench. Where I run out with the soil drench, I'll start up from that point next time. I've been trying to make 25 gal of tea every 5 days. Next season I'll have 2-25 gal tupperware containers. 

I don't cut the foliar spray.....but I am guilty of adding a second batch of water to the brewing mix...aerating it another 24 hrs and using the brew before adding the solids to the compost bin.
tctenten said:
That is some pull!!! Your plants look healthy and lush. It certainly has me thinking about brewing some teas next year.

Great idea......the tea is the afternoon delight for the plants
HillBilly Jeff said:
Simply amazing grow.  I marvel at it more each time you post up more pulls.  

There's no end in the near future.....I hope the rain doesn't slide past the city today, we near a good drench.

Devv said:
A most excellent update Greg!

I love the lushness of your grow, I wish I could achieve that here. Well I'm going to try next season with a fall planting, don't know how it will turn out. But the most it can be is a waste of seeds and time...

Plenty of pods to puree for sure! You mentioned pressure canning, so no vinegar?

Have a great weekend!

Thanks Scott..
I'm sure you'll get a bumper crop before the holidays.

Yes, I do use vinegar in the puree, here's the original recipe from AlabamaJack

Making some puree today...will post pics of the process....it's easy....

I've made this a few times the last few seasons, although I've strayed away from the original recipe, a little.
I don't puree the peppers in the Vitamix anymore....I use the meat grinding attachment on my Kitchenaid to coarse grind the peppers...leaving the seeds in for the cook down. ( 1 gal water only). Once cool I run the puree through a food mill, only to remove the seeds (since it's a puree, not a mash). Another thing I've changed is to let the stockpot of milled puree sit in the fridge over night. The next day the ph is checked and is usually around 5.0. I then add enough vinegar to bring down the ph to around 4.4. I've learned through my experience's that reducing the volume down once the vinegar is added will even lower the ph as additional water content evaporates....I reduce the puree down not by the volume but to the range of 3.7. Also I originally was using Agave syrup, than went to evaporated cane juice.....now to not using any sweetener . I do agree if using 7 Pots only the final run might be bitter, but with the added variety of peppers used there's no need to sweeten the mix up.
I still pressure can the mix, probably not necessary as the vinegar stabilizes the puree at 3.7.....but heck, I like to steam up the kitchen.....lol
stickman said:
Incredible pull Greg! Things are finally starting to fire on all cylinders here as well. Sampled my first South African Naga King last night, and was really impressed by the heat and flavor. They did something strange though... I wonder if you've noticed the same thing... for about 20 minutes after the initial burn subsided I'd get random flare-ups on my tongue and lips.

Have a great holiday weekend, and keep up the great work!

Rick, what can I say the Naga King is another one of those hot India peppers......like'em

Was that flare-ups or flash-backs........ :lol: 
Islander said:
Wow what an awesome backyard! Those plants and pods look awesome! I like how those plants build a mini jungle around your patio area!!
What kind of dehydrator are you using? I saw a round plastic setup and a rectangular metal tray.

Thanks...
I have a Nesco...that gets used for dehydrating  non pepper items, but I have two Excalibur's for the hot peppers. My garage is 
per..fuming with the scent of peppers...
OCD Chilehead said:
Amazing, fantastic, excellent, wonderful grow. Couldn't find the word I was looking for. LOL.

Had a laugh at Dr. Pepper.

Grow well done Greg.

Thanks man.......usually I can think of the word...but thanks to spell check for getting it done ..write.......lol
dogshow said:
Awesome as always Greg - Epic grow and fantastic harvest :):)

Thanks Mike...good to here from you.....how's the weather across the pond ?
My mom's brother just turned 90, he also lives in Essex. My mom's 92, lives here but won't travel back anymore.... :cry: 

We have had a cracking summer this year Greg - My grow is still nothing like I want it to be but have had a few of your overwintered nagabons doing very nicely for me - Next year I will document my grow for sure  

Back