• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plant problems....

I guess I need further advise since I'm still dealing with leaf curl on my Habanero plants (all of them). I have tried letting them dry out to the point of wilting before watering. They are still curly. I've tried spraying with Epsom Salt solution for about a week. They are still curly. I'm at a loss... The curly leaves are kind of crisp, unlike the other leaves that feel soft and healthy and the overall plant growth seems to have slowed considerably. I am open for any suggestions...

MyGarden2008065.jpg

MyGarden2008060.jpg

MyGarden2008066.jpg

Continued....

I am also have another problem with a couple plants that are yellow. Most all of the leaves are varying shades of yellow. I have tried with holding water, Epsom salt solution and a balance fretalizer. Nothing seems to be helping the plant get green again. However, it does seem to be growing though slowly...
I hope that I can save this plant.

MyGarden2008064.jpg

The curling is not necessarily a problem, some chinense varieties do that, especially Habaneros. If everything else is okay, don't worry. They are slow growers anyway.

The yellowish leaves indicate a lack of nitrogen.

Chiliac said:
The curling is not necessarily a problem, some chinense varieties do that, especially Habaneros. If everything else is okay, don't worry. They are slow growers anyway.

The yellowish leaves indicate a lack of nitrogen.

Thanks Chiliac...That is a releif because I didn't want to loose my hab plants. I have been inspecting them everday thinking that this might be due to bugs, but I am positive that I am bug free.

The yellowish leaves being due to a lack of nitrogen, do you think that Superthrive will help bring them up to speed?

I can't say for sure. Superthrive is not a fertilizer, rather an extra boost and I don't know the amount of nitrogen it contains.

You should be getting a bag of nitrogen fertilizer for about 2-3 bucks at your gardening center. Add a bit to the water and I guess the plants will be okay. The bag will probably last a lifetime.

Okay...I have Miracle grow Tomato feed that has a NPK ratio of 18-18-21. Should this be okay to use? Also, it recommends 1 tablespoon per gal, should I only be using 1/2 strength? Sorry about all of the questions, but with a month away from planting out, I just don't want sick or weak plants.

Thanks for your help Chiliac...

Hmm, it may result in overfertilizing P+K. I'd try sth that is (nearly) pure nitrogen. A cheap alternative is coffee ground, it contains a lot of nitrogen, but make sure you dry it first and keep moisture down as it may attract mold. Even hair is 100% nitrogen, so you may use the remains of your latest (dry) shave, but be aware that it'll take longer to take effect.
Anyway, don't worry too much, the yellowish plants won't die just from the lack of nitrogen!

EDIT: and yeah... the fertilizer you have should be used 1/2 strength!

had similar probs with my scotch bonnets..yellowing,being using chilli focus once a week for 3 weeks and plants are green as my other chillis now..a good fertilizer:)

lack of nitrogen will stunt foliage growth and ultimately produce a weak inferior plant that will probably not achieve a full fruit load.

aphids can cause leaf curl due to the way they suck the sap out of the leaves but your plants look ok, no signs of black sticky residue or insect activity. as chiliac said, many chinenses grow inwardly curled leaves without negative effect on the plant.

another possible cause of yellowing is lack of (sun)light. are your plants under artificial light, it looks as if they are. I'm not a hydrogrower so my following comments may be nonsensical but do you have the right type/number of lights? are they close enough to the plants? if you are growing indoors you may need to seek out expert (read: not my amateurish) advice.

PF I am in Ohio like you and always have had most of my Hab plants have some leave curling but always had a good crop. Has for the yellowing will you be putting them in ground ? If so they will green up in a week or so after. Do not know why but I have always had a few of my 100+ plant with yellowing till they got in ground. Mainly the Cayenne's type.
Dan

LET IT BURN

Great Questions I have the same thing going on as far as leaf curl I added changed my watering habits and added Epsom with my nutes and added a drop of Super Thrive. The curling has stopped but I have a couple of plants that the leaves are yellow particularly the older leaves and I am noticing some weird spots on my tomato plants as well.

Unless they are dropping their leaves I wouldn't worry about the yellowing leaves so much. If you are going to plant them outside within a week or two anyway, there's a very good chance they'll be back to normal soon.
I wouldn't fight the leave curling at any cost, it's natural and your plant is probably very healthy, so why bother?

LUCKYDOG: got some pics of your tomatoe leaves?

No I dont have pics of the tomato spots they are kinda light brown almost can see thru the spot.... they are indoors under flouros with my peppers... and are no insects...I will try to get some pics

I think you should try spray feeding the yellowing plants with the Miracle Gro plant food you mentioned. Mix it about 1/2 strength and spray your plants with it. If they are just nitrogen deficient you will see results in a day or two.

I've had a lot of C. Chinense plants that had a similar leaf curl as your plants have. Most of the time they straightened themselves out, but sometimes they didn't. I can't recall ever losing a plant because of it though.

Alan

Update...

Last night I mixed up a Tablespoon of Miracle Grow, full strength (Tomato Feed) per gallon of water and fed my plants 1/2 cup of this. Amazing, I noticed today, that the plants that had severe yellowing leaves are now showing a greenish yellow hue to them. I think it must have been low nitrogen as mentioned. I also feed 1/2 cup to my habs and they seem to be doing well, although they still have leaf curl, but they are standing straighter now. So, I guess it didn't hurt...

Thanks guys :)

Doesn't lack of calcium cause yellowing in C. Chinense plants? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing? Wait, doesn't it need calcium to grow biger leaves...agh! I have to search the previous threads here....

Calcium (Ca) deficiency can cause new leaves to distort or take on a hooked apearance, growing tips may also die off.

Nitrogen (N) deficiency generally causes older leaves (bottom leaves) to yellow with remaining foliage turning light green. slow growth and yellow spindly stems also.

Magnesium (Mg) deficiency can cause slow growth and cause leaves to turn pale yellow with new growth being yellow with dark spots.

Phosphorous (P) deficiency can cause leaves to take on a red/purple tint. leaf tips may look burnt with older leaves looking nearly black. fruit and seed production is reduced.

Potassium (K) deficiency causes older leaves to look scorched around the edges and possibly wilted also. yellowing between the leaf veins may be evident.

Sulphur/sulfur (S) deficient plants have new growth turning pale yellow with older growth remaining green. plant growth is stunted.

Boron (B) def. may be evidenced by poor stem and root growth, buds die off, a 'witch's broom' effect may sometimes form.

Copper (Cu) def. causes stunted growth with leaves becoming limp, curling or dropping off.

Manganese (Mn) def. causes slow growth, younger leaves turn pale yellow often this discolouration starts between the veins. dark or dead spots may develop, reduced size of leaves and fruit and failure to blossom.

Molybdenum (Mo) def. - older leaves yellow with remaining foliage turning bright green. leaves can narrow and become distorted.

Zinc (Zn) def. causes interveinal chlorosis (yellowing between the veins) of new growth. end leaves may form a rosette.

foliage discolouration can also be caused by soil that is too wet and/or poorly drained or soil that is too compacted inhibiting root growth. those growing in containers or those having a lot of clay in the ground beware. too much fert is also very bad, many growers kill their plants with kindness. too much fert will cause plants to look scorched or wilted even though your watering regime is adequate.

Back