• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Planting by the moon

NYT slideshow about the moon:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/12/21/science/20101221-Moon.html

from the article:

Moon + Woods = Moon Wood? Do trees feel the moon's influence? In some areas of central Europe, lumbar was cut exclusively in the winter and only according to certain rules. "Moon wood" -- lumber cut during a certain lunar phase, typically before the new moon -- was said to have unique properties, such as resistance to weathering or suitability for use as cookware in a fireplace.

Let's not start up the controversy again. I've just got a simple question concerning my next planting"

Based on the Farmer's Almanac, today and tomorrow are good for peppers. I don't have much room left and I'd really like to wait two more weeks. When I look around it seems the next time is March 4th-6th, good for "Aboveground Crops". Does this sound like a good time to start my C. annuums, tomatoes, basil, etc...? Are there any other good times in between?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Let's not start up the controversy again. I've just got a simple question concerning my next planting"

Based on the Farmer's Almanac, today and tomorrow are good for peppers. I don't have much room left and I'd really like to wait two more weeks. When I look around it seems the next time is March 4th-6th, good for "Aboveground Crops". Does this sound like a good time to start my C. annuums, tomatoes, basil, etc...? Are there any other good times in between?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

In simple terms you want to plant above ground crops when the moon is waxing. To be more complicated you would want to plant them in fertile water signs. i.e.Cancer, Pisces, and Scorpio, then the fertile earth signs Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn (which are generally better for root crops). Consult your almanac.

Of course as said previously, this is mostly for increasing one's odds for good plants. You may still get good plants at other times if you're a particularly good gardener.

So it sounds like I either plant this week or wait for the 5th. I'll try and squeeze another 36 slow growers in there now. Thanks hot stuff. That works out just fine. We usually have an overcast spring, so my tomatoes won't mind waiting.

so when Columbus believed the world was not flat, he was gonna fall off when he reached a point out there somewhere...there was no proof that the world was round...

Scientists and sailors had already known that the earth was spherical for over a thousand years before Columbus. Numerous scientists in Ancient Greece, Rome, and the middle east had already calculated the circumference of the earth, some with fairly decent accuracy...it was accepted scientific knowledge well before Columbus' time.

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Scolumb.htm

Well, he came up with some important discoveries. And any guy crazy enough to go flying a kite with a key attached during a thunderstorm as one of his experiments on conducting electricity gets my respect. LOL. I honestly have never read in great detail about him, though.

He never claimed that he did that experiment as described (holding the kite), and it's pretty unlikely that he did. Had he actually done the experiment like that he most likely would have been killed. He was well aware of the danger of lightning, so it's hard to believe that someone as intelligent as him would have done something so stupid.

Ya know I've had people swear by this stuff not only for gardening but for fishing(even haircuts) all my life and still I just don't believe. Friends of mine would drag me out in rotten weather to catch fish just because it was supose to be a great day. Seen great days crap out and bad days we couldn't bait the hook fast enough. My Uncle would plant according to the Almanac and do good but others did just as well not following it. I believe it's what you believe in(kind of like keeping a rabbits foot for good luck) I figure it didn't help the rabbit very much so how in the hell can it give me good luck?

Well you do have to use some common sense. Even if the moon is in the right quarter and sign, if the ground is covered in snow, you probably don't want to plant "outside" in the snow at that time. Now inside in guarded environment, that's a different story.

Back