• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Plants in hydro progress

It's been six weeks now. Two small cucumbers are growing and there are another three or four blooms are showing. No sign of blooms on the toms but they are still about a month away from their *due date.* But they look extremely healthy.

1218toms.jpg

The cukes' early leaves are turning yellow/brown, but that is what happened in the garden this year. I also read in the test the guy from greenpinelane did that he had the same situation. I think this is normal for cukes. The picture doesn't show a lot because there is no good angle to get a decent picture from.

1218cuke.jpg

Mike

Millworkman,

The toms are actually extremely healthy. They are Green Sausage, a short bushy plant that only gets about 18" tall when fully grown. I probably need to stake them, though. I grew them this summer and they didn't look this good!

Mike

Millworkman,

I did get the plants staked and yes, the stem and branches are not real strong, probably due to the lack of wind. But let me tell you, the tomato plant smell is way stronger than what I sensed in the garden this year.

Also found another cuke that must have masturbated (can I type this in this forum?) because the flower is pregnant and bearing fruit.

Mike

Those toms look like they should have about 3 times as many leaves on them or something, that doesnt look right to me. Real hydro nutes would go a long way to fixing that, me thinks. What you see in the garden should be far outweighed by what grows in hydro, if done properly.

McGoo,

Good eye! What you can't see in the picture is the branches of leaves that have been cut off and put into my compost bowl.

Mike

An early Christmas present. This baby is pregnant - hopefully. Six blooms that appeared overnight. They are a bit ahead of their time but I'll gladly take them. Shook them for a while, hoping they pollinate.

1224tomflowers.jpg

Here's most of the plant:

1224toms.jpg

My cuke keeps adding another fruit, just about every day. Gonna have a lot of pickles in a couple of weeks.

1224cukes.jpg

And here is the newest addition to the family. These plants keep their flowers after they are pollinated, at least for a few weeks.

1224babycuke.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Mike

The tomatoes have flowers blooming but I don't know if they are going to set fruit or not. Six blooms, though.

1231tom.jpg

The cuke looks bad, but not much different from how the ones in the garden looked. They tend to lose their leaves as fruit sets.

1231cuke.jpg

Here's one of the cucumbers growing:

1231babycuke.jpg

Mike

have you been giving them nutes from the start ???? i have a feed chart that i go by and i give them fresh water and nutes every week and top off during the week if needed... what kind of nutes do you use???

Red Eyes,

When they first started, I was using a 30-10-10 nute, three ounces per week. When they started blooming, I switched to a 5-30-30 mixture. For the last four, maybe five weeks, I also give them 1000 mgs of a multivitamin. It really made a huge difference in the toms.

Mike

with no wind or bugs i'd say you should get a little more actively involved in your plants sex life... i'd take one flower off and go from flower to flower with it. make sure you take one with anthers that are all powdery.

GB,

Last spring, when I got my first bloom on an indoor tomato (and didn't get another one for six months!) I did some reading on pollinating tomatoes. The suggested way was called sonicating - vibrating the plant so pollen falls. Supposedly, tomato blooms are too small for bumblebees to get to the pollen but their wings beating several thousands of times causes vibrations in the flower.

All the blooms have closed up now so I will have to play the waiting game to see if the shaking helped or if I have to play kitchy-koo with the flowers!

Mike

With greehouse tomatoes, smaller operation often use electric toothbrushes(sonic) or similar devices(electric pollinator), and others use leaf blowers for pollination. They are also ideally pollinated in the afternoon usually before 10am and after 2-3pm but personally I just use a fan or manually shake the plants.

Thirsty plants

The size of the tomato plants hasn't changed much in the last couple of weeks, probably because they are determinate. But have they become thirsty little guys.

They (two of them) are in a 5" net pot in a five-gallon bucket. I'm having to add at least six quarts of water per week, this past week I added 10 quarts from Thursday to Sunday.

Is this normal? The temps in the chamber are close to 80 degrees when the lights are on, about 70 after they have been off for a while. The toms are also starting to flower.

Mike

Omri said:
It's no shock, the cuces are suffering from some sort of nutritional imbalance. I also think I see the start of edema in your toms (no high-red pics, so can't really tell).

Hey Omri,

what exactly do you do man ? And where did you get your name from ? isnt it a trademark of some sort ?

reason i am asking is, you seem to know quite a bit of info regarding growing and plants in general.. just curious...:cool:

Hotpeppa said:
Hey Omri,

what exactly do you do man ? And where did you get your name from ? isnt it a trademark of some sort ?

reason i am asking is, you seem to know quite a bit of info regarding growing and plants in general.. just curious...:cool:

Omri was a King of Israel.

OMRI is the Organic Materials Review Institute

Where THP Omri got his name from? I can see either or. LOL

Back