• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods Ripe

Here are some Caribbean Reds from this year...

Sdc10008.jpg

Sdc10107.jpg

Sdc10121.jpg

Scoville, as Potawie said, that's not a real Orange Thai for sure. I've got the real deal for sure. I'll get you some next time we exchange. :)

Chris

Chris,that Orange Thai did come from you!I posted another pic in pod on and was told that was wrong,I figured this was closer to the discription.
I thought I might have mixed the tags.The Black pods are also from the Orange Thai batch!It apears they are very easily polineted...No harm,I'm sure they will make a very tasty Thai Curry paste anyway.I'm not sure there will be a discernable taste difference.The Black pods have started to turn green,then red.Thats to bad I was hoping they mixed with Piment De Neyde,and remained black,that would have been someting!It's still a great looking plant and I'll be saving seeds to see if they are Black next year.

Richard,those Carib. redas are looking good!I'll have some soon also.
Looking forward to them as I seem to be building a tolerance to heat up.
I went to a hot sauce show yesterday,nothing was hot!!!!

Hmmm,those pods appear to be...Orange.Interesting!
Potawie,can you discern any flavor difference between the Thai peppers?
I'm pretty much growing all the other ingredients for my curry,so I'm thinking it's gonna be pretty tasty.I can try the different colors again this fall.That is a nice looking plant!

bingo Potawie...thats the same orange thais I like to grow...

as far as the taste goes, to me the orange have a bit more heat than the others but they taste close to the same...

I've only grown a few thai types but thai orange is probably my favorite for flavor and production, I just wish they were a little bigger/heavier

Some beautiful,and downright evil, looking pods gentleman. Thanks for sharing them. Some day I hope to add a picture or two to this thread.

Some of my pods are starting to ripen..

first Bih Jolokia - I am excited to taste this one...

060709b001.jpg

Hungarian Death

060709a009.jpg

Super Chili

060709a010.jpg

Golden Cayenne

060709a011.jpg

thanks for sharing the ripe pod pics, they look tasty!
just wish I had some ripe pods :( oh well in due time I'll have some, until then I'll have to settle for these pics.

I'm sorry Tony. Apparently some crossing came into play. I've got loads of these pods from my original source air dried. I'll send you some dried pods and you can extract seeds. I'm more confident these will come true.

Hopefully the cross is to your liking in the meantime. I really think the true orange thai is most interesting and hot. It's got a serious kick for a small pod. Nothing compares.

Well, I did have someone send me a cross between orange thai x small mexican (Donnie's cross). It matures red and REALLY packed serious heat. Amazing for xx-hot thai curries!

When the sun came out briefly last week things started ripening up in a hurry. More sun in store this week.
Here's a sampler:

Cayenne and Superchilis drying on my dash.
dashHeat2.jpg

Previous Cay and SC went into a fresh salsa (along with jals, tabs, habs) that everyone assured me was both hot and delicious. Will make some more today.

First ripe lemon drop - came from the one I left in the 1 gallon container.
ripeLemon.jpg

firstRipeLemon.jpg

First ripe Japone (I'm convinced it's not a real deArbol now)
ripeJapone.jpg

Cont...

Lovely colors of Superchili before I stripped it down the other day. Purple is a platic snake.
superColors.jpg

Overwintered white hab starting to ripen. Even more since this pic was taken.
ripeWhite.jpg

Closeup:
ripeWhite2.jpg

Need to get some more pics together later.

c.

WOW...that white hab is insane!

Considering a lot of people seem to have trouble with the white hab..that's bloody amazing.

You'll be up to your ears in habaneros. :D

QuadShotz said:
WOW...that white hab is insane!

Considering a lot of people seem to have trouble with the white hab..

Oh, I had plenty of trouble too both last year and this year. See this thread for example.

The overwintering was the only way I got results this early. It dropped a billion flowers with the last frost we had the beginning of March, but it's recovered nicely. :D

QuadShotz said:
Yeppers...looks like you'll need to get to picking some soon eh?

Meh. I don't really like the straight vinegar flavor with the habs so much. Gonna do some experimenting with salsa/sauces this year though.

Here's a pic of my mystery red hab. It's way darker than an orange hab but not a true a red color like a cayenne - these are partially dried cayennes in the pic for comparison. My red color balance isn't so great and nothing looks as intense as it does in person.

habColors.jpg

I figure it's just a plain ol' red habanero and was mislabled as caribbean.

AlabamaJack said:
Some of my pods are starting to ripen..

first Bih Jolokia - I am excited to taste this one...

Great looking Bih pod AJ. I've got one of these growing too (seeds from Hippy) and I'm really excited about it as well. It's my biggest Naga type so far and hopefully it will get huge as it's in a 7 gallon pot.

Back