• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods Ripe

Nice looking White Habanero plant Carol. Some pods from this afternoon pickin', mostly White Habanero, another Fatalli, some unripe Condor's Beak just had to try, and 7 Pod. Not expecting any large harvest till July and then again in October.
IMG_2651.jpg

All blended up for tonights supper of beef stir fry. Nice color because of only one red 7 Pod, but this should be smokin' hot.
IMG_2663.jpg

Nice pods and nice presentation there PRF. Let me know how those condors taste. They are really nice looking pods. I saw them on Cross Country Nursery's site and was intrigued.

The Condor's Beak turns red I believe when ripe, don't know yet. I just had to try one and have had much better, thin skin not much habanero flavor and not very hot. The sauce just ripped my face off during dinner and was again humbled by a 7 pod/Fatalli combo. This sauce has wonderful flavor right before the hiccups and sweating and my wife asking if I was alright. It is on par with extract sauces but with garden fresh flavor. Just quickly blanched chiles and put in the blender with salt, sugar and a little white vinegar. Good stuff.:mouthonfire:

hi
i would like to know what is that white stuff that is all over on the soil?
does it make your plant grow healthy ?

srin2 said:
hi
i would like to know what is that white stuff that is all over on the soil?
does it make your plant grow healthy ?

i think its Perlite

Perlite is white granulated stuff that you mix with your potting soil to help aeration and drainage, i think it holds a little bit of water too.

Can buy it in bags or some good mixes already have it mixed in.

perlite

thanks .

so how do i use it ? if i have already planted the plant, do i need to sort of loosen to soil with the perlite or just have to put it on the surface.

:)

srin2 said:
thanks .

so how do i use it ? if i have already planted the plant, do i need to sort of loosen to soil with the perlite or just have to put it on the surface.

I've never used it except as an additive to my soil mix before potting.
If your plants are outdoors in the ground, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You could always repot plants already in containers into a mix containig perlite if the existing mix needs more drainage.

Here's a pic of my bag of pro-mix that has a small amount of smaller perlite in it and a bag of perlite.

S6300836.JPG

I add perhaps a cup or so to a 8x8 pot worth of potting mix...some people say a 3:1 ratio of soil/perlite is good. Just depends on the soil.

Perlite come in several sizes, from sand-like tiny to huge chunks usually used for landscaping.

perlite2.jpg

Mine is a medium...about 1/2 - 1/3 the size of a pea.

Here's some Perlite info. :

http://www.perlite.net/

Horticultural Applications

In horticultural applications, perlite is used throughout the world as a component of soilless growing mixes where it provides aeration and optimum moisture retention for superior plant growth. For rooting cuttings, 100% perlite is used. Studies have shown that outstanding yields are achieved with perlite hydroponic systems. Other benefits of horticultural perlite are its neutral pH and the fact that it is sterile and weed-free. In addition, its light weight makes it ideal for use in container growing. Other horticultural applications for perlite are as a carrier for fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides and for pelletizing seed. Horticultural perlite is as useful to the home gardener as it is to the commercial grower. It is used with equal success in greenhouse growing, landscaping applications and in the home in house plants.

That should help ya. :)

srin2 said:
thanks .

I just chucked in a handful or so per small bucket of soil, when potting up. Just enough to get a decent amount of it visible when its all mixed together :) just like in the pro's photos :lol:

carol , your white hab looks great, i tried my luck with some pink habaneros but they didnt pass the seedling-growing-well-test :P

SeeYouJimmy said:
You sure that's perlite Quad? Hmm!

Yup, I'm sure.

rainbowberry said:
The first one looks just like my perlite.

Ditto.

Here's a photo of the perlite that I have. (from the bag pictured above)

S6303173.jpg

Oh btw..don't breathe the dust..it's BAD. So, when opening the bag or pouring it out...be careful.

-QS

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
The Condor's Beak turns red I believe when ripe, don't know yet. I just had to try one and have had much better, thin skin not much habanero flavor and not very hot. The sauce just ripped my face off during dinner and was again humbled by a 7 pod/Fatalli combo. This sauce has wonderful flavor right before the hiccups and sweating and my wife asking if I was alright. It is on par with extract sauces but with garden fresh flavor. Just quickly blanched chiles and put in the blender with salt, sugar and a little white vinegar. Good stuff.:mouthonfire:

Funny story Cappy. That sauce looks killer. One 7 Pot & Fatalii go a long way. Do you keep it refrigerated? Any good sauce recipes out there that are shelf stable?

I usually hot water bath all my sauces but this was thrown together to eat this week. I have a rotating set of woozies and lots of sauces stored in canning jars. I use a turkey baster to transfer from jar to woozie and refrigerate all my sauces that are open. Lots of good recipies on THP but the best comes with trial and error. Like don't add more than one 7 Pod per woozie.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
All blended up for tonights supper of beef stir fry. Nice color because of only one red 7 Pod, but this should be smokin' hot.

I'm definitely going to do a yellow colored sauce of some type this year. Just wating fo a few more ripe peppers to try my hand.

lavish said:
i tried my luck with some pink habaneros but they didnt pass the seedling-growing-well-test :P

Love playing with the different colored habs. I just found some orange ones from Dominican Republic yesterday that had some pale yellow ones mixed in. They're translucent like the orange but appear to be half-ripe all over. Mine never achieve an all over yellow.

Here's a pic of one with some of my peppers for comparison:

peppermedley.jpg

L->R red hab, white hab, orange hab, "yellow" hab
cayenne, lemon drop

Back