• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pubescens Thread - CMPMAN1974 - 2009

AlabamaJack said:
I have 6 or 7 Manzanos growing...red and yellow...but they don't seem to like this hot north Texas summer weather...just hoping to keep them alive until the weather cools...am wondering how long into the winter they will grow...

I just don't think manzanos/rocotos like my weather...

AJ - you made me think - last year my Manzanos had by far their biggest pods when they were brought inside in November. I have a picture of a giant pod taken mid January - and my basement stays really cool in the winter as I don't have any vents open down there to heat it. Maybe they just love the cool weather.
3210175632_fd7acdfdcc_b.jpg

cmpman1974 said:
Scarpetti, I'm not sure the exact location. It was discovered in by a Sweedish treasure finder who scours countries looking for rare stuff. He sourced it in '05 I'm told. He's big time into tomatoes, but I guess other stuff catches his eye too. I never believed this would've existed until I was told about it 2 yrs ago.

Chris

I remember the story...

It was found at a Peruvian market, and the Swede was told that the brown rocoto was used for medical purposes only, so that goes well with what you're saying about the taste of it.

I'm growing it myself this year - And with just 1 single pod until now, it's my most successfull rocoto this year :shocked::shocked:

With the warm summer here, it has just not been a great year for rocotos - Maybe the others will start to produce, now the temperuture's dropping in the fall??

/René

rrene said:
It was found at a Peruvian market, and the Swede was told that the brown rocoto was used for medical purposes only, so that goes well with what you're saying about the taste of it.

That's Åke Truedsson, grows and writes books about tomatoes and garlic. I believe he had seeds for 300+ varieties of tomatoes this spring, no crosses. Seeds for the brown rocoto (brun rocoto) are sold by http://www.ortagarden.com.

That's one beaut of a huge pod Chris.

I'd like to try growing that one day, but first I need to get some more common pubes to set fruit in my humid heat first.

Hey CHris... Pods look great... I have not been on the forum a while... But I have been busy growing as well... About 80 Plants different varieties... And all friends on this forum and pepperfriends forum... I have not forgotten you guys....

cmpman1974 said:

are some seeds dark like that? i took some kalosca paprika seeds out of a pod and were same color. but it was from a dying pod and not a brown or chocolate one.
good to have u back trinni cant wait some photos!

More nice pubes Chris. The Fresa de Equador is another biggie.

Noshownate said:
are some seeds dark like that? i took some kalosca paprika seeds out of a pod and were same color. but it was from a dying pod and not a brown or chocolate one.

AFAIK all pubes have black seeds; it's a trait of the pepper. Dark seeds in other types are not a good sign.

Wow those are huge C.Pubescens you are having great season guys,Chris you always have great collections of peppers my friend great job.

Back