• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone!!  I haven't figured out how to post my foto's onto this forum yet.  However, I can post a link to my thread on Purple Thunder that is on a different forum.  Paul sent me seed and I planted at the end of December here in Panama.  Conditions are super hot, windy, with brutal intense sunny days every day.   Temp's in the 90's daily with high N to NE winds.  Plants are now over 70 days old and are forming pods.  The link takes you to the thread.  I have been snapping foto's of these plants every couple weeks or so to show progress.  

https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/349/purple-thunder-bhut-jalokia-trial

Glen_ said:
Hello everyone!!  I haven't figured out how to post my foto's onto this forum yet.  However, I can post a link to my thread on Purple Thunder that is on a different forum.  Paul sent me seed and I planted at the end of December here in Panama.  Conditions are super hot, windy, with brutal intense sunny days every day.   Temp's in the 90's daily with high N to NE winds.  Plants are now over 70 days old and are forming pods.  The link takes you to the thread.  I have been snapping foto's of these plants every couple weeks or so to show progress.  

https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/349/purple-thunder-bhut-jalokia-trial
Your plants look great

Pepper-Guru said:

That's neat. Have a handscope at like 60-120x? Check undersides of leaves for any microscopic critters and if nothing there, then I'd say that's pretty cool. 
My Amazon microscope came in. It looks identical to the one you posted. I plucked one leaf from my plant and had a good look at both sides on full power. I confess that I have no idea what to look for, but nothing jumps out as being bad. On the top of the leaf I see black spots ( this is at 120 times magnification) not visible with the naked eye.

On a side note aphids look scary at high magnification I like them even less now if that's even possible

Mr.joe said:
The smallest of my purple thunder is growing much differently with long pointed leaves
Very interesting, Joe. Glad to see no critters
evident on the leaves. Keep us posted!

Glen_ said:

Thanks for posting here, Glen. Great to
see an international segment to the Purple
Thunder community grow!

Best of luck going forward, my friend!

One of my PT's came up! But it looks... uh... well, see for yourselves.
lol.gif

pt-oddity.jpg

I didn't think it even had cotys when it came out, and it looks like they're either slowly maturing or just... weird. No helmet, it came up with just a white tip, and this has been slowly progressing.

internationalfish said:
One of my PT's came up! But it looks... uh... well, see for yourselves.
lol.gif

I didn't think it even had cotys when it came out, and it looks like they're either slowly maturing or just... weird. No helmet, it came up with just a white tip, and this has been slowly progressing.

Haha, ‘Fish, mighty oaks from little acorns grow!

lespaulde said:
Things are progressing, and hopefully will keep doing so. I L.O.V.E. the coloration on this plant, really something special you made there Paul!

Bjh-2 being potted up:

Final home for the summer:

Wow, beautiful specimen, Erv! It should really
flourish in it’s new home. Here’s hoping for a
boatload of nice yellow/purple pods!

PaulG said:
Beautiful, Dr. McDog! Can’t wait to see those loaded up with pods!

Neither can I   :)  Your cross produces some very cool plants.  Here's the remainder of mine after the two posted above.  I dug them out this morning to get pics.  I have 7 in all, 4 BJh-2's and 3 BJh-M's.  They show some variance among them. It will be very interesting to see pods!

BJh-2's
20200326 BJh-2.jpg

20200326 BJh-2T5HO.jpg

20200326 BJh-2#1.jpg

BJh-M's
20200326 BJh-MT5HO.jpg

20200326 BJhM-D.jpg

CaneDog said:

Neither can I   :)  Your cross produces some very cool plants.  Here's the remainder of mine after the two posted above.  I dug them out this morning to get pics.  I have 7 in all, 4 BJh-2's and 3 BJh-M's.  They show some variance among them. It will be very interesting to see pods!

BJh-2's
attachicon.gif
20200326 BJh-2.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200326 BJh-2T5HO.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200326 BJh-2#1.jpg

BJh-M's
attachicon.gif
20200326 BJh-MT5HO.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200326 BJhM-D.jpg

I am really glad to see you growing so many of them.
Those are my favorite varieties. I am looking forward to
seeing what comes from them in your capable hands!

CaneDog said:

BJh-2's
attachicon.gif
20200326 BJh-2.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200326 BJh-2T5HO.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200326 BJh-2#1.jpg

BJh-M's
attachicon.gif
20200326 BJh-MT5HO.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200326 BJhM-D.jpg
Those are very super purple seedlings.  Look great.  I have BJH 3's, 2's and mystery's growing.  Mine are now beginning to produce.  The best producers now are BJH 3's.  One of those is an all green speciman that is producing more now than the others.
The most attractive plant I have in my opinion is a Mystery and its just now beginning to produce prolificly.  Plants are getting very big.  Seems like all plants show diversity of fruit presentation.  My plants are going to need a lot of staking as some are going to be heavy with chili's.

Glen_ said:
Those are very super purple seedlings.  Look great.  I have BJH 3's, 2's and mystery's growing.  Mine are now beginning to produce.  The best producers now are BJH 3's.  One of those is an all green speciman that is producing more now than the others.
The most attractive plant I have in my opinion is a Mystery and its just now beginning to produce prolificly.  Plants are getting very big.  Seems like all plants show diversity of fruit presentation.  My plants are going to need a lot of staking as some are going to be heavy with chili's.

Glad to hear things are growing right along
down in Panama, Glen! It will be cool to see
what kind of pods come from them!

Back