• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
Randers2-I am not an expert on chili peppers.  However, in my opinion that seedlings looks stout and healthy.  I wouldn't do anything to this seedling.  No pruning.  Let it do its thing.  Don't over feed it.  The key later is going to be getting this seedling into a big pot.  The bigger the better.  I use 10 gallon pots for this variety.  I don't prune this variety.  It just sets it back.  Big pot.  No pruning.  Don't over fertilize.  Get it outdoors when its warm enough.  You should have more chili's than you can shake a stick at.

Paul, that plant on the upper left is stout!  Great bunch of purple plants.

By the way, the parents of the seeds I sent you are still alive.  Covered over with pods.  Its windy in Panama and dry.  Temps in the mid 90's.  Plants are not growing.  Just hanging on.  Some are still making new peppers but not many.  In Late May, when the rains come and the clouds come the plants will begin to do better.  

I still have a few plants from the seed you originally sent me.  One plant is an Orange Chocolate Bhut.  The other is a BOC.  The seed for those plants were sown in Dec of 2019.  Still kicking.  

By the way, some of my purple thunder plants are over 7 feet tall.  Way over my head.

Right on, Glen, that F6 is a first class beast,
all right. If the pods are anything like the plant
they should be huge.

I am in awe that you have some of the original
plants still growing, and that the Purple Thunder
get so huge there.

Paul, if you notice how these plants produce, they seem to produce mostly on new growth.  Given enough time they just keep on getting bigger.   Plants can be absolutely monstrous.  As time goes on the plants do get tired.  At a certain point it is really a better idea to just pull the plants up.  Production falls badly after about 2 years on most Chinense variety's.

Yes, if you planted the yellow pods those will be giant pods.  You use the good plant chow so pods should be huge.

By the way.  I have 6 purple thunder plants planted in the yard in the ground.  I didn't fertilize those plants much.  They are at least a year old.  They are sad.  Small.  But, producing.  All yellow.  Pods are average.   I am sure they are really spicey but I have so many peppers I just let them rot on the bushes.  

Pod size will depend on conditions you give the plants.  They like the expensive plant chow.

I don't know what to say about these Purple Thunder plants.
They have grown like crazy, and none forked below the 9th
node. These need a plant-out session!

Left, three F4, and right, two of Glen's Panama GH strain.
At first, Glen's F6 was the height leader, but the rest seem
to have caught up:
44814B00-4BEC-460F-B830-14E5909E3D3F_1_201_a.jpeg

Paul, your seedlings look great.  Time to plant in some huge pots right?  Looks like you are going to have peppers coming out of your ears.

I have not planted any new plants.  

I do have old plants all over the yard.  I haven't picked any chili's for many months.  Plants were over loaded with peppers.  I have been in my dry season since last December.  Many peppers were just dried out on the vine.  Plants were loaded.  I got sick not long ago so I haven't been as active in the garden.  But, I have been able to get back out there.  I had to pick hundreds and hundreds of dried peppers off the plants.  Otherwise the plants would not produce more.  The peppers are full of nice dried seeds.  I just threw them on the ground.  Peppers dry beautifully during the dry season.  You tear them open and the seeds just pour out into your hand.

The plants are still full of useable peppers.  All over the plants.  Hundreds and hundreds of peppers.  I can't eat them.  Been trying to give them away but you can only use a limited amount of scorching hot peppers.

I have one plant, an orange choco Bhut that I cut down to the nub about 6 months back.  I sort of forgot about this one.  It was planted in Dec of 2019.  It just put a bunch of new shoots on and it is producing like no ones business.  Huge pumpkin sized Fire apples.  I gave them away.  

I have many plants over a year old.  Many are 18 months old.  They look ratty because of the 95 degree weather we have now but they are alive and well and when the rainy season comes these plants will come alive again and make hundreds more hot peppers.

Even a child can grow chinense chili's in Panama. 

Never seen anything like it.  

I am going to have a lot of Purple thunder peppers as well.  In fact, If I needed them now I could walk out and quickly pick lbs and lbs of them.  Yellow and red.  

Good luck with your grow!!

Glen_ said:
Paul, the color is the typical lava yellow.  I am pretty sure later ahi's will have a different shape though. 

Good job!!!
Right, Glen. these are just the first small pods
off the plant. If the weather cooperates, we
should have some great pods.

talas said:
Gardener indeed sir some beautiful plants and so healthy.
The credit goes to Mother Nature, talas, I just
give her a place to work  ;) but thanks for the
kind words.

Plants have really responded to the more normal
highs in the 80's weather we normally have this
time of year. I hope the 100's are behind us for
the year, but will knock on wood  :pray:

Back