beer RocketMan's BrewLog

Ozzy2001 said:
I saw those too. Recipie sounds good. Some IPAs I really like though, and some I can't stand. I would hate to make it and think it's crappy.

Considering that Deviant Dale's is clean-fermenting yeast (WLP001) and Columbus for bittering, aroma, and dry hopping ... that looks pretty tasty, and while I haven't had the beer, I'd brew that recipe ...

It wouldn't be so vastly popular for all of the past 5 years if it wasn't pretty great, I'm thinking ...

My question, would be whether you need quite the hopping they need to use to survive the distribution chain, for homebrew attempt ...

I've heard the month old Pliny is good, but doesn't really have the sought after qualities of a truly fresh serving ...

NATIONAL AMERICAN BEER DAY

National American Beer Day is observed annually by beer drinkers across the nation celebrate on October 27.

There are more than 2,100 breweries that manufacture beer in the United States. They range in size from industry giants to brew pubs and microbreweries.

The U.S. produced 196 million barrels of beer in 2009.
The U.S. consumes roughly 20 US gallons of beer per capita annually.
In 2008, the United States was ranked sixteenth in the world in per capita consumption, while total consumption was second only to China.
Prohibition in the early twentieth century caused nearly all American breweries to close.
After prohibition was repealed the industry had consolidated into a small number of large-scale breweries.
The majority of the new breweries in the U.S. are small breweries and brewpubs, who, as members of the Brewers Association, are termed craft breweries to differentiate them from the larger and older breweries.
The most common style of beer produced by the big breweries is American lager.
Most of the smaller breweries, which were founded in the 1980′s, produce a range of styles.
Beer styles originating in the United States include:
American pale ale, Pennsylvania porter, American IPA, steam beer, amber ale, cream ale and Cascadian dark ale.
OBSERVE

To celebrate National American Beer Day, enjoy your favorite American Beer. Remember to always drink responsibly and to never drink and drive. Use #AmericanBeerDay to post on social media.

HISTORY

Our research was unable to find the creator and the origin of National American Beer Day.

Copied from NationalDayCalendar.com

Been working on finally getting my brewery set up designed out. I've been following the design plan at www.theelectricbrewery.com and will start purchasing parts as I can. They really love the Blichmann kettles at the website but I can't afford the $400.00 + price tag. Northern Brewer has the Tall Boy Kettles, which have really good reviews, for 159.00 for the 15 gallon kettle. That's a little more in my range :)

Electric%20Brewery_zpsdwna7o6n.jpg

The thing I'd really like to do though is to set up my control panel without all the hard wired switches and such and use a touch screen instead, heck even using a wireless keyboard and mouse would be great. Think I can do it in either C# or in Visual Basic. Just need to find some information on coding to replace the PIDs and switches and to set up the interface with the hardware. Maybe using the USB interface. Still a lot of research to do on this though so till then I'll probably go with a control panel like the one in the picture. At least it'll be easy to wire up. Then I just need to have a 240 v drop put into the Rocket Room. Thinking I might build a stand kind of like this

Brewstand_zpsbtx7trmd.png

It'll be interesting to see where both you and I end up, moving in opposite directions at the same time, with the same pivot point ...

I went crazy and fully worked out a bunch of best-case stuff to get an idea for what's possible ... and am now going the other direction ...

There's really an element of ship's passing in the night here!

I'm trying minimal, and ... I mean totally stripped down, too.

Even though I ordered a couple of bulkheads and elbows, I'm not even planning on changing anything out until I feel pain ...

I have a SS ruler, and I'm going to calculate the water depths for each gallon in the kettle, and make a chart ...

I have a stand out in my carport that's a fish-tank stand, so it's made out of an bent iron, and designed to hold hundreds of pounds of water ...

It's essentially a tier for all intents and purposes, really ...

I'm going to place the unmodified cooler up on there, with the spigot hanging off the table a little bit, and use a BIAB bag fit for it, and leave the spigot stock if it holds water ...

I plan to load up the predetermined amount of water - minus some reserved for sparging ...

I'm going to place the Sansaire immersion chiller inside of the cooler get the water up to strike temp, and then I'll yank the Sansaire and mash in, and close the lid ...

I'll stick Sansaire in a container w/ the remaining sparge water, and have it come up to temp during the mash, and then I'm going to use that spray aerator designed to aerate wort going into the fermenter to sparge the grain bed using the pump of the Sansaire (I've worked this out in the past, in the beginning of my journey) ...

At the end, I'm going to start to run-off directly into the kettle (unmodified) ...

I might even just do BIAB right in my kettle, without sparging, for some beers ... which would be even more basic ...

Once I've got hot liquor in the kettle, I'll hop and boil and then manually whirlpool while using my immersion chiller hooked up to the garden hose, and then when it's as low as it'll go, I'll run ice water back and forth between two kitchen-size garbage pails, adding ice as needed to get the ~9-12 gallons of wort temp down ...

And then I'll just siphon it into 3-4 corny's using a super jiggler or auto-siphon ...

It's the polar opposite of what I've been doing ... there's no pumps ... no plate chiller ...

I'm trying the zero automation, all me version ... perhaps because I found I couldn't really walk away from the automation, I don't know ...

Like I said, though ... it'll be interesting to see where things end up ... to see if I end up putting a spigot on the new kettle, or not, even ...

I think I'll end up wiring up existing shit to have the option to have a recirculating mash in the cooler, but I think I really might just use a big immersion chiller and a siphon and keep it really simple on the backend ...

We'll see!

It will be interesting to see Grant.

Well, things might have just gotten easier. It seems that the Arduino has a PID Library now :) I should be able to use 3 Uno's, Teensys or possibly Nanos for the Temperature controllers and a couple more for micro switch operations under wither VB.net or C#.net.

I love it when a plan comes together :)

Even better it could prove out to be something I can get my wife involved with so we have a joint project. She likes it when we can spend time together like that and yeah, we're complete geeks.

Hey, anyone up for D&D?

RocketMan said:
It will be interesting to see Grant.

Well, things might have just gotten easier. It seems that the Arduino has a PID Library now :) I should be able to use 3 Uno's, Teensys or possibly Nanos for the Temperature controllers and a couple more for micro switch operations under wither VB.net or C#.net.

I love it when a plan comes together :)

Even better it could prove out to be something I can get my wife involved with so we have a joint project. She likes it when we can spend time together like that and yeah, we're complete geeks.

Hey, anyone up for D&D?

Don't forget the red emergency light ;)

That space looks pretty tight for a 3v - 2 pump system.  Why not a Brew Boss type controller and diy single kettle?

It looks a little tight but there's really a good bit of room for what I want to do. The problem will be determining where to put the fermentation chamber after I build it but hey, outside the door to the room is a 4 car garage. I think I'll find a spot for it.

I do like how the Brew Boss interfaces with your tablet or Smart Phone though :)

The more I look at the space the more I think about taking the sink and its cabinet out. Then extend the table all the way across and put a stainless steel sink into the table. I'm also thinking about adding a pot filler arm above the sink. This is t going to be a cheap build but I have found a few ways to save on the total cost like with the kettles I mentioned in a previous post.

RocketMan said:
The more I look at the space the more I think about taking the sink and its cabinet out. Then extend the table all the way across and put a stainless steel sink into the table. I'm also thinking about adding a pot filler arm above the sink. This is t going to be a cheap build but I have found a few ways to save on the total cost like with the kettles I mentioned in a previous post.

I have been thinking about having one of those faucet arms placed behind my stove on the wall for the past couple of weeks, actually ...

That's something I'm planning to figure out at work one of these days ...

They aren't cheap. I put one in our last house. About 200-300 just for the faucet. Unless you buy a cheap brand for 150. I would worry it won't last if it's a crapoy brand. Thrn you have to run the waterline up in the wall too.

So, I've been looking at the Control Pannel the they use over on www.theelectricbrewery.com and I think there is a way to make it simpler to do using a touch screen and some Ardruino parts. There is already code out for, as well as a Library for a PID Thermal Controller. Other than that it's just switches to turn on and off the burner elements and pumps. The Arduino Mege can handle all of that. Probably the Uno could too but it's nice to have the extra inputs just in case. Now I just need to see if zi can code the GUI in the Arduino IDE or if aim going to have to do it in C# or VB.net. I can already see that aim going to have to bone up on my C++ again

The hard part is that I've never coded industrial controllers before nor have zi ever coded for s touch screen, so that's part of the challenge, but it's a part I enjoy doing. The part that will hold me back from going forward though is going to be the cost of the touchscreen. Wishing zi had kept that old broken tablet I had now

Nice, thanks for the links I didn't even think about looking for prefab BrewPi devices. Have to say I like the Brewtronix and BCS, according to the website the BrewPi Spark is only setup for Fermentation control at present, especially that they are can work with your phone or tablet so that your not tied to standing right there.

The big thing about building one aside from I like doing it, as you can tell from all my DIY projects, but it also gives me total control of how its going to work. I've got some questions that I need to get answers to but the BCS from Embedded Control Concepts looks the most like what I wanted and is the lowest cost solution. Looks like I'll still need to add some other control cards to it to allow software control of switches and I want to use RTD temperature sensors rather than Thermistors or Thermocouples, more accurate and less having to re-calibrate. Still, it'll reduce the amount of work by a great deal. 

Ok, now I have a few more mins than earlier this morning ...

1) Processing
2) Arduino Yun (or whatever's come out since that's similar)

If you want to roll your own C++, feel free, but that's complete martyrdom in this case =)

Processing is already focused on managing interactive I/O, and it's designed to be easy ... and it's purposely built to play nicely with Arduino.

The Yun has a built in interface between Arduino HW & SW and a *nix, OpenWRT, called "bridge" ...

Using Processing/Python will make this dead simple ...

This is what I was going to do, anyways ...

RocketMan said:
Read just about anything about making Mead and you'll see that it takes anywhere from 6 months to a year or more. Well, when my wife came up with the idea to celebrate Shakespeares birthday with a full blown Tudor party she's calling "Ballads, Bards and Maidens Fair" it became my mission to find out if a Mead could be made that would be decent to drink in 2 months or less. So after many minutes spent cruising the net I came across this one. It is supposed to produce a good Mead in 2 months. Here's the recipe:
1 Gallon jug of Spring Water
3 Pounds of honey
25 Raisens
1 Medium Orange
1 packet of bread yeast
Now, I'm sorry to the originator of the recipe, but Ish ain't usin no bread yeast, especially when I have a packet of Cotes De Blanc sitting round
So, pour out half of the water but keep it to top off the jug and put a little in a cup to start hydrating the yeast.
B2CB0E38-C021-4CD4-89BA-E0F388CC1FEE_zpspruhme1l.jpg
35FCC7E7-C902-42C6-A1A7-9E0AD9941DC6_zpsil3v6xzd.jpg

Next add the 25 Raisens and cut the Orange into 8ths and put it in the jug.
C5548EE6-9AAF-4C75-8DF2-7AEDB170F941_zpsxlfcdfm3.jpg
C04F4B9E-E3E9-433D-AA23-C767BA307293_zpsrbrggiww.jpg

Its easier to pour the honey in by warming it in some hot water first.
67C9E350-56D3-429F-BBC8-76595763D2B6_zpstlxwrkpc.jpg

Then in it goes.
0FDD40DE-DB2F-434D-8D37-AF0CDCDAF2D4_zpsfimbvn5o.jpg

Now put the cap back on and shake the snot out of it for 5 minutes.
The OG came out at 1.110
9BE00273-30B0-470E-98B5-06DBF6C2D982_zps5ia03gmk.jpg

On the left is wildflower honey and the right is clover
C3441A3B-869D-429E-9C64-30361F723337_zpsqd6hk5cu.jpg

In 2 weeks I'll rack them over to secondary.
Cheers

I want to give this a try. We're you happy with the results? The glasses you poured looked nice.

Seems pretty straight forward except the yeast. I have some US-05 on the way, can I use that? Would I use a whole packet?

Thanks.

Back