beer RocketMan's BrewLog

Bourbon Barrel Vanilla Stout

First off everyone say Hi to Gina, my assistant Brewer for the evening.

8CA6C13A-730D-47B3-9D11-F4BA72858B33_zpsiacw42cc.jpg

She wanted to learn about how I make beer.

Time to sanitize

C3FD8DD3-89AA-4A7D-AD50-D50F68E5EE28_zps5fdaokcr.jpg

Just about to strike temp.

0DAC2ED6-1ABF-4681-AE5B-6EC2C934A8C3_zpsmxlhrzms.jpg

Mashing those grains.

1AA2B67A-A25D-449D-8BC6-B5CE4C9EAB5D_zpsg7ggqxhh.jpg

Ok, let's get to boiling!

264DA684-9734-4504-AC59-3678B1FF8233_zpsv0amcalp.jpg

Finally at 2:00 am I'm cooling it down.

0F176487-7F4D-4F05-9211-CBFD9F2AA56C_zps2ixi5wau.jpg

Final thoughts, this was a problematic brew, first off it had 19 pounds of grain and my MLT could just bairly hold it. Second we had a heck of a time trying to get the Ph of the mash water down. The lowest reading we got was 5.8. Finally, and I'm hoping I got something wrong but the OG was way low, like 1.045 when it should have been more like 1.078. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Cheers Y'all

grantmichaels said:
Water ... the final frontier ...

No kidding! Everything I've read in the Palmer Water book has told me that Florida water is not good and when I get the Electric brewery up and running I should put an RO filter in, start with basic water and add minerals to the profile I want for each beer. RO is just too dang costly, to buy and to use. I mean its what like 5 gallons to produce 1 gallon?

Vanilla Session Stout?

Well, I'm hoping it was just too dark and too late and my eyes were too blurry :)
Wishful thinking probably but I can hope.

tctenten said:
I think I might welcome that sight right now and even the clean up associated with it.   I look at my mead bubbling away and feel like I did it right….then I look at my stout and get concerned.   

nah, they're like that ...

it's because you aren't making starters ...

the yeast pitched from a starter w/ ample time is in the mode to ferment, the yeast you are pitching needs to go through the lag phase first ...

Yuk. I had one of those boots a couple of years ago when I nearly broke my ankle. My ligament pulled bone chips off of the bone so it hurt pretty bad. It's crazy though that I could walk around with that and it could still heal.

My doctor had to collect some bone material from right below the knee to pack the break so I'm not allowed any weight on my foot. I'm on crutches for now and hopefully will have knee scooter come Tuesday when I have my follow up appointment.

The more I look at and research the Sours, Lambics and Saisons, the intrigued I am. Thinking about a Cherry or a Raspberry Sour or Lambic now. The sour fruit flavor should go great with the sour of the beer. Hum, maybe a Blood Orange one with a Walking Deab theme name.

Edit: maybe Blueberry

I know that Wheebz seems to prefer WL, but there's a lot of people who like the Roeselare Blend from Wyeast, from what I've gathered in listening to what amounts to an exorbitant number of podcasts at this point ...

https://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=194

Wheebz - do you make an exception for this one? ... or is the WLP655 just as good, or ? ...

Anyways ...

If you haven't listened to The Sour Hour podcasts, they're good, and Jay Goodwin's (?sp) pretty easy to listen to ...

I liked the one w/ the brewer from Green Bench (right here in St. Pete), and the one w/ the Rudi (?sp) from Rodenbach, and the one with Lauren Salazar from New Belgium ...

Michael Tonsmeier's (?sp) The Mad Fermentationist is a cool blog ... so is Sour Beer Blog ... and Embrace the Funk and it's FB group seem like good resources ...

I'll be interested to watch your experiments, having postponed my initial experiments until a bit further down the road ...

Sharing since you asked for media the other day in my thread ...

Also, as a point of interest since I know you get into that kind of thing ... I think 'lambic' is a bit of a reserved word for one's actually produced in a specific region of Belgium ...

In my travels, I feel like some folks were saying it's good form to not call them lambic's for some reason, but that could be more of a thing for pro's, and not a thing homebrewer's need to worry about ...

It's been interesting to watch some folks argue about whether or not kettle souring is a Kosher technique or not, too ...

Didn't even know ow wyeast had that blend.

Problem is I have to prop up strains myself and blend them to get something like that. You can't prop that or you throw the bacteria way out of proportion to the yeast

Back