• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan's Glog - Starting Second Season

Finally getting around to germinating my seeds to start growing some peppers. I took 14 varities out of the 42 in my seed library (Special thanks to everyone that helped out with seeds) and some of the old pill bottles I had saved (usually that's where I keep the screws I collect when I strip out an old computer system) then added 8 seeds to the bottles and filled with water. Going to let the seeds soak for 24 hours, then place on coffee filters and back into the bottles till its time to plant them. Here's a shot on the bottles:

34e7f62d.jpg

The 14 I picked are:

1. Peruvian White Hab......................Pic1
2. Jamaican Hot Chocolate...............Pic1
3. Douglah......................................Pic1
4. Fatalii.........................................Pic1
5. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T............Pic1
6. Datil...........................................Pic1
7. Red Savina Hab..........................Pic1
8. Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet......Pic1
9. Chocolate Hab............................Pic1
10. Black Hab................................Pic1
11. Trinidad Scorpion Yellow...........Pic1
12. 7/Pot Red................................Pic1
13. Bhut Jolokia.............................Pic1
14. No heat Jalapeno.....................FyrDad4
*Thank you Gentlemen

I really wanted to get a nice cross section of heat levels and to grow some peppers that I hear alot of talk about but can't find locally. most of them will be going into sauces however if I happen to get a really good crop of peppers I might have to look into drying some and making some powders. This is the first year that I'm growing peppers from seeds. I've planted Jalapeno and Habs that I picked up from Lowes or Home Depot before but never really done the research and gotten the dirt under my fingers.
I thought about whether to use Peat Pellets or Rock Wool but right now i'm thinking about just going with some good soil or a seed starting mix and I already have a bunch of Red Solo Cups. I'm planning on 6 or 8 holes in the bottom of the cup so I can bottom water them and I might place some up and down the sides so that some air can get in.

I'm really looking forward to this and if it goes good I might even be able to convince the boss to let me take a section of the back yard and put in a garden. Might even put in a flower or 2, well so long as they're edible that is.

Thanks for stopping by and check back I'll be here.

Thanks for stopping by,
RM

Finally got my hands on the good camera and got some shot so here goes with a Pic update;

Tray 1

Peruvian White Habs on right and Jamaican Hot Chocolate left
008.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate on left and Douglah on the right.
009.jpg

More Douglahs
024.jpg

Tray 3
Complete Tray
023.jpg

Bhut Jolokia
004.jpg

No Heat Jalapeno
005.jpg

Thai Short Hot Peppers
007.jpg

Tray 2 was replanted a week ago. I'll have to get a shot of it tonight. It's growing like nobody's business.
Thanks for stopping in for a look. Have a great week
RM

Well, tonight I transfered 15 seedlings from the trays to their new homes in Solo Cups. I was a bit nervious as this was my first time to transfer seedlings but it went well and no mishaps. Here they are in their new homes.

The whole gang
003-1.jpg

A little Closer
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

The pics may be a little washed but it's dark out and I was using the flash. I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow. Have a great evening.
RM

Edit: Thanks to Spicy Chicken for the Plastic Knife idea, that's gold!

it's been 4 days since the big move to some Solo cups for some of them and I'm happy to report that they're doing great and really seem to be enjoying their new homes. Here's soms shots of the whole pepper family:

015.jpg

Really hoping that these guys get some good growth on them soon so I cna get them into their real dirt homes.

And here are what's left in the trays.

Tray 1
016.jpg

Tray 2 which has only been replanted a little over 2 weeks I think
017.jpg

And Tray 3
018.jpg

Thanks for stoping by and have a great weekend
RM

They really do look better than that. The flash really washes them out.

While I was watering the babies this afternoon I ntoiced this on a Thai Short Hot

002-1.jpg

003-4.jpg

First time growing peppers so is it putting out branches or more leaves?

Here's some shots of the rest.

004-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-3.jpg

008-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

010-2.jpg

Now I just watn them to get to growing and putting some peppers on ;)

Thanks for stoping by for a look,

RM

WHOOT WHOOT!! Just got word this morning that a friend of mine who's family is from Coloumbia, South America has a cousin coming up for a visit and she's bringing me some seeds. Not sure what they'll be yet but she asked them to look for Aji Amarillo and Rocoto and for some Husk Cherry seeds for me. What ever they wind up being Can't wait to get them.

RM, Your seedlings and transplants look great - good work.
Some of those cups with more than one seedling in them
may have some candidates for cloning, yo :scared: !

That Thai Short is one weird looking plant. I've not seen anything
like that. I wonder if it's some kind of virus or genetic phenotype weirdity?
Maybe that's just the way they grow!

Here's to a great growing season, RM!

Been a while since I added soem pics so here's how they're looking now.

Jalapeno's
100_2545.jpg

Fatali's
100_2547.jpg

TS Butch T's on the outside and a Douglah in the center
100_2548.jpg

Thai Short Hots on the outside and a Datil in the center
100_2549.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolates on the outside and Bhut Jolokia in the center
100_2550.jpg

Peruvia White Habanero on the outside and a Thai Long Hot in the center
100_2551.jpg

Close up of the Peruvian White Habanero
100_2552.jpg

This is a shot of Tray 2 which I had to replant completely. Looking good now though, gonna have to get some more Red Solo Cups to fill up
100_2553.jpg

Thinking I may start getting some og these guys in the ground here soon. Just have to get the beds ready where they'll go.
Thanks for stopping in for a look. Have a great week,
RM

In Florida, pretty much anytime. We really only get about 2 or 3 weeks or weather where it gets down to where we have to cover the plants. I got a late start on these and am considering putting them in the ground towards the end of this week. Then watching them take off like wildfire.

Thanks for stopping by,
RM

I think those Trinidad Scorpion Butch T plants are not actual Trinidad Scorpions, either different seeds or some hybrid, but they certainly don't look like Trinidad Scorpions!

I think those Trinidad Scorpion Butch T plants are not actual Trinidad Scorpions, either different seeds or some hybrid, but they certainly don't look like Trinidad Scorpions!

May be right, as this is the first year growing for me I haven't learned all of the identifiers for the different plents. We,ll know when they get some pods on though. :cool:

Thank for the heads up, I'll be keeping an eye on them now.
RM

Been reading alot on here about all the irrigation systems that are being set up. So I went to Lowes and was looking around at the differents setups they had from drip to low pressure heads that spray close to the ground and all. Came back home to get online and do some research about them all and how some systems allow you to add ferts and all and after all that I found the system I want to use:

Beerigation!!!

bc9d6cf6.jpg

Have a great day Y'all!! I gotta do some more research.

Just a little more info on Beerigation for those who might be interested in using this system.

It is becoming readily apparent is that the type of beer used is dependent on the type of pepper being irrigated.

For..............................................................Use
Chocolate Bhuts, Habs, etc….......................Porters, Stouts or Brown Ales

Red Savinas, Habs, Scotch
Bonnetts, ect............................................Standard Ales and Full Body Lagers

Yellow peppers like Fatalii,
Yellow Scorps, etc........................................Light Beers

By following this your peppers will receive all of the benefits of good irrigation and not come out off colored, I mean who would want a really dark Mustard Yellow Scorpion just because someone used a Guinness on it? Not Me..

:cool:

WHOOT WHOOT!! Just got word this morning that a friend of mine who's family is from Coloumbia, South America has a cousin coming up for a visit and she's bringing me some seeds. Not sure what they'll be yet but she asked them to look for Aji Amarillo and Rocoto and for some Husk Cherry seeds for me. What ever they wind up being Can't wait to get them.

Don't get your hopes up... I asked someone I knew was travelling through Mexico to bring me back some seeds and they came back with "Mora" which apparently is a Jalapeno... :rolleyes:

Eh, I'm growing one to see what happens. Was nice of them to try.

Back