• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding "Rusty" 7Pot / Choco Bhut Cross

Not many seeds? Sucks. Be best to stabilize that cross. Looks to be the hottest of the hot.

START ISOLATING :-D
hehe, and send me a seed or two :-P
beautiful pods.

Isolating is definitely in order for this one. As soon as I can get some seeds dried, myself and Madhatter will be planting a bunch more indoors to see what comes of it. Hopefully we can continue to get true to form pods for next year.

Looks great! Just love the color on that. Plant looks quite healthy and productive too. If you need any help growing out subsequent generations, I would love to help you out with that. :cool:

Please keep the updates coming on this one.
jacob

sly jacob
oh yeah i'll help ya with the next generations too!

Thanks guys. I'll certainly be getting seeds out eventually. The two ripe pods I have so far only gave me 9 seeds total (bummer!) so it's slim pickins for the time being.

This picture gives me the willies:
Rusty7bhutJune192010cutopen.jpg

It makes me just wanna shove my tongue in there and lick up all those juices.

It makes me just wanna shove my tongue in there and lick up all those juices.

Can't top that one roadhouse! :rofl:

Very scary looking cool colored 7 cross that retains the 7 heat. Really liked your description of the taste test, been there done that not again, somethings you only need to do once. :hell:

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing if your able to stabelize it for future generations. It's really neat watching and learning from all of you serious pepperheads here on this forum. Keep up the good work.

That looks absolutely nuts!! Good job on the description guys and cross. Hope you can get it stable!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Last night, myself and Madhatter did a bunch of pepper tasting, one of which turned out to be a choco bhut / 7 cross. I got the plant from Madhatter who was growing out a bunch of chocolate bhuts so that's what it was supposed to be. Surprisingly the pods grew like 7s with some slight bhutish characteristics, but then the ripening started out brownish with the red kicking after and it turned into a rusty brownish. Really cool coloring so needless to say we wanted to test out the heat and see what this one is all about.

Let's just say, I thought the Red Bhut was hot! This put the bhut to shame easily. Not even in the same league. DAMN!! We've done quite a few tests over the past months with the superhots and this was the first time we were in serious trouble from that heat! It got some characteristics from the choco bhut but the heat was definitely all 7!

I will never try this one again...I'll stick to Bhuts.

Bhut Jolokia in the guiness book over 7 pots? yeah right!!

Rusty7bhutJune192010-1.jpg

chocobhut-7podjune172010.jpg
Great job on your breeding efforts, wonderful pods. How did you go about making the cross? I tried several times last year making various crosses without success. In this cross which plant was the male (pollen donor) and which was the female? Did you remove the stamens (male parts) of the female parent? I have several crosses I want to make but I am even having trouble collecting pollen. I read that the anthers tend to shed their pollen between 10am and noon. Obviously I am a rookie in this respect and would greatly appreciate any help.

Great job on your breeding efforts, wonderful pods. How did you go about making the cross? I tried several times last year making various crosses without success. In this cross which plant was the male (pollen donor) and which was the female? Did you remove the stamens (male parts) of the female parent? I have several crosses I want to make but I am even having trouble collecting pollen. I read that the anthers tend to shed their pollen between 10am and noon. Obviously I am a rookie in this respect and would greatly appreciate any help.

Well, this cross was actually an unexpected surprise. Not sure where the cross actually took place, but originally the plant was supposed to be Chocolate Bhut. The pods then started having a lot of 7 characteristics and it certainly ended up with the 7's heat and brown/red mixed coloring.

With a lot of the superhot chinense varieties I've noticed that pollen can be hard to come across, but it wasn't certain times of the day that I noticed the pollen. It was after a few days of the flower opening, which still wasn't much but it was there. If the flower just opened, give it a bit of time but it sounds like you know the process by removing the stamens early on of the parent. What crosses are you looking to make?

I love that pod's color and if its really :hot: then you have a winner there.
If you can stabilize the strain its gonna be great.
You are gonna try and stabilize it, right?!

Bleash

Well, this cross was actually an unexpected surprise. Not sure where the cross actually took place, but originally the plant was supposed to be Chocolate Bhut. The pods then started having a lot of 7 characteristics and it certainly ended up with the 7's heat and brown/red mixed coloring.

With a lot of the superhot chinense varieties I've noticed that pollen can be hard to come across, but it wasn't certain times of the day that I noticed the pollen. It was after a few days of the flower opening, which still wasn't much but it was there. If the flower just opened, give it a bit of time but it sounds like you know the process by removing the stamens early on of the parent. What crosses are you looking to make?

Well, I would like to do my own 7Pod / Bhut reciprocal cross, white hab / bhut and choc bhut, white hab / choc hab, along these lines, if I get any to work I will be planting an F1 nursery plot and then select the best ones...thats the plan anyway.

Heres a link for a site that tells you very well how to attempt a sucessful cross..... not sure who originally posted it.

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

Back