• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

++ on the above 2 posts.  great looking plate, edmick!

I'm a bit behind on posting pics.  We are back to work, with all the mask and distancing restriction.  And it's HHHHOOOOTTT now.  So after getting home, pretty much all I feel like doing is getting a cool shower, a cold drink and surfing in the AmbitiousBoy recliner.  :lol:

I got some wings on the July 4th weekend-
IMG_7539.JPG

horseradish white sauce, spicy asian plum sauce and steak sauce
IMG_7540.JPG

Boss sent a clown car package of sauces.  Thanks, Boss!!!! an interesting one was the Slaw-Racha, so honey cooked up some brats, I put mayo on one side, slaw-rach on the other, and topped with some cabbage salsa from my friend's picnic.
IMG_7542.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7550.JPG

IMG_7555.JPG

I finally got some Surf when in Wenatchee on Friday.  Whole Dungeness crabs!  :woohoo:  :dance:
and a couple nicely marbled steaks....

Unwrapped the 2 crabs on Saturday to break them down and this is what I got.
IMG_7562.JPG

Are you kidding me?!?!???  I did get all the claws, but still!!!!!

Well, between cleaning the crab and our surf and turf dinner, I had a run in with a cat.  Or maybe more appropriately, the cat had a run in with me. 
There's a cat that has been hanging around our house.  It looks color-wise like one of our neighbors's a couple fields over.  Their older cat has come over here before so I thought it was one of their younger ones.  Our dog and our cat chased it up a tree.  I thought I'd catch it, put it in a box and take it back to the neighbors. 

I put the ladder at the tree, climbed up, it looked at me, didn't hiss or anything, so I figure it is OK.  I grabbed it, didn't quite get up to the scruff of the neck, and the little sh!t turned into a hellcat.  Scratching and biting  my hands.  Hard.

I got it into the box, took it to the back of the property and let it out.  Hopefully it doesn't come back.  Then John and I spent half an hour tending to the painful wounds.  So basically....surf-n-turf dinner was a bust.  Today, both hands are in bad shape from bites to knuckles.  Work tomorrow will be interesting~~~ 

Well, I did have all that shelled crab, so today's sunday brunch was crab omlets!
IMG_7566.JPG

I put some crab into the pan with a little butter on medium heat to warm up the meat, then set it aside.
IMG_7567.JPG

2 eggs, crab, cheddar, Taco Fuego....and an adult beverage  ;)
IMG_7569.JPG

:cheers: everyone!

Been hankerin' for some SuperNachos, so that was Saturday's no-very-nutritious-but really-good-with-fresh-salsa dinner.
Chips, cheese, seasoned beef, hatch chiles, salsa, sour cream....
IMG_7570.JPG

the somewhat-elusive....but it does exist...Texas Creek Salsa
IMG_7571.JPG

PS- the labels are on the side of the tub for the stores.  I snagged a tub of Medium without a label while it was being made and stuck the label on the top for pics.  :cool:

The Hot Pepper said:
My neighbor is grilling and I can tell it's chicken... so looking at this I have full on smell-o-vision!

I find it wonderful.

When other folks are grilling.

That one can smell the difference between burgers.

Steaks.

Chicken.

Pork.

I live around a lot of Mexicans here in Texas.

And I love the smell of their cooking.

Makes your mouth water.

And makes you wish you were eating that.

Chingon AF!

Back