• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

salsalady said:
Tomorrow is some seared scallops, garlic/lemon/caper/butter with angel hair pasta.

When did you move to Italy? Because you can only make it there! :rofl: :P

The Hot Pepper said:
Eggplant on one, olives on one.

The oil is from SA made with Thai chilies. It's not that strange is it? Should it be from Thailand only? lol

The Hot Pepper said:
When did you move to Italy? Because you can only make it there! :rofl: :P
Oh yea, I know. 'It aint authentic if the thai chiles werent grown in Thailand.' I had a friend, a red haired Irish lass, who was selling tamales at the farmers market. She caught shit comments all the time. 'You are not Hispanic, how can you know how to make tamales?'

Edit- I'll call mine a FUSION dish, that should cover it... :lol:

Re-marghi!!!!! We gotta get an emoji for that. Maybe a blender?

salsalady said:
You guys are coming into summertime, make the most of that social distancing requirement and camp as much as you can.  We bought a (new to us) motorhome a year ago with the intention of doinig the snow-bird thing last winter....and then the world shut down.....

the thing hasn't been out of the driveway.......

Things are actually good down here. Community transmissions are close enough to zero to be insignificant. Lots of restrictions have been lifted. For instance, my workplace (and I guess a lot of workplaces) are no longer temp testing etc before entering the site.

In my opinion (and I offer it without any sort of medical or expert background) is that the situation is because of the seeming similarities in the transmission of the kung-flu and normal cold and flu. No longer in the flu season so low to zero covid transmission. Next winter will probably tell for sure though.

Here is a couple of photos from last week for you.....

20201126_102257.jpg

20201124_194753.jpg

It was hot though. Only one day while we were there was below 40°c (105°f). We call that day "the cool day" because it only reached 36°.

bob65 said:
Things are actually good down here. Community transmissions are close enough to zero to be insignificant. Lots of restrictions have been lifted. For instance, my workplace (and I guess a lot of workplaces) are no longer temp testing etc before entering the site.

In my opinion (and I offer it without any sort of medical or expert background) is that the situation is because of the seeming similarities in the transmission of the kung-flu and normal cold and flu. No longer in the flu season so low to zero covid transmission. Next winter will probably tell for sure though.

It was hot though. Only one day while we were there was below 40°c (105°f). We call that day "the cool day" because it only reached 36°.

Shite is hitting the aireal accelerators in a big way around here. In our remote-ish county. We have been holding steady at around 16 deaths for months, then had 11 deaths at one care facility last week.

The corned beef we made Thanksgiving weekend went into 2 pies. One for now, one for later.
20201129_132659.jpg

20201129_132642.jpg

20201129_152256.jpg

20201129_152948.jpg

Here was the Now...
20201129_170951.jpg

Brb...

this one was the Later... I know I've posted these before, I just hope others will try it.  It is pretty simple.
For the pie, it's cooked corned beef, potatoes, onions, in a basic pie crust.  I made 2 pies, egg washed, and froze one raw.  Couple weeks later, it was a easy-peasy dinner.  Straight out of the freezer and into a 350f oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the crust is nicely done and baked all the way thru.  I used a thermometer to check. 
IMG_20201209_180356787.jpg

A couple weeks ago, there was a post about people buying up the toilet paper...again.  
This was our local store a couple days after that.  No worries here!  And no restrictions!
IMG_20201120_122426227.jpg

plus, I think we're covered, for a while....
IMG_20201122_092429791.jpg

:lol:

Here's the Surf-n-Turf Scallops.

IMG_20201207_170716861.jpg

The onions and garlic were sauteed in butter and olive oil, and bacon, until nicely brown.  Remove the goods, and the oil/butter was transferred to a cast iron skillet.  I was worried about the butter burning, so I didn't turn it on High.  
IMG_20201207_172840088.jpg

IMG_20201207_175600539.jpg

IMG_20201207_174939390.jpg

IMG_20201207_175410404.jpg

Angel hair pasta, capers, dash of lemon juice, splash of Half-n-Half, fresh basil....OMG!  We talked about that for 2 days! 
IMG_20201207_180231989.jpg

That red thing on the side was a tomato slice.  I did get it right, didn't I?  2 Meats and a Veg???

sicman said:
Ive got to read that picture tutorial. Wife has been going off with feeding my skinny little bike riding ass.
Siccy, definitely try it!  It's really pretty simple.  The only odd thing is the Prague Powder, which keeps the meat pink.  It's not necessary, but is easily available online.  I think it was $16 for 1#, which will last for-EVER using 1 teaspoon per batch.  If you like corned beef, Man, this is the way to do it.

(ps- fify~  ;)  ) 

Ashen, what is Red status? Full lockdown or ????

The bread, the ham, the cheese....looks like a perfect snack.

That and a glass of red would be our dinner. :lol:

Pookie is coordinating a Secret Satan hot sauce exchange again. Sign up is closed, packages are on the way, but I felt inspired to post this fun poem. Hope it brings a smile~~~

Ode To A Secret Satan Hellidays

Twas the weeks before Christmas and all 'round the US,
Not a creature was traveling, no thanks to the virus.

The names were exchanged, the wishes revealed,
Secret Satan's prepared, mouths are about to get peeled.

The chileheads are nestled all snug in their cribs,
with splashes of wing sauce smeared on their bibs.

When out on the porch there arose quite a racket,
them porch pirates took off after seeking the packet.

The package was labeled as plain as could be,
"for chileheads only, take care when you pee".

The package that arrived would guarantee sweats,
Thanks to DHL, FedEx or Pony Express.

Regardless the service, the results were the same,
the package promised flames only sugar could tame.

With trembling hands and tingling taste buds,
He dug into the gifts, sure none were duds.

Dashing to the kitchen and grabbing a spoon,
no time for chips, he needed it soon!

Off with the shrink band, off with the cap,
off with the reducer, who needs that crap?

The beautiful sauce was poured on the spoon,
a sniff and a taste, he's over the moon.

As the heat and the flavor explode in his mouth,
the chilehead knew there'd be trouble down south.

Red-faced and happy, with ringing ears,
sweating and panting, and just a few tears,
the chilehead is thankful for friends far and near...
...and frozen TP he'll need for his rear.

His work now accomplished with the chilehead's tear,
Secret Satan is retired, until the next year.

:cheers:

Take care, stay safe, spread a little love with that hot sauce!

salsalady

Step below full lockdown.

The five zones of public health measures
Prevent green
Protect yellow
Restrict orange
Control red
Lockdown grey

Each health unit area is assessed weekly and different control measures in place for each level.

28 day minimum if your area moves up a level.

Red is basically lockdown light.

There is some minimum discretionary movement allowed but grey would be full on shelter in place.

Thanks for sharing Asher and DF.

Unlike the clusterf^@k that has been our governments' non-correlated response...

dragonsfire said:
No family gatherings allowed here for holidays.
Cant hit like on that.

My family had already decided to forego in person gathering a few days before the announcement our area was going to Red.

I think deciding for ourselves took a bit of the sting out of having it forced on us.

Back