labels Sam&Oliver sauce company - sample label, bottle render soon

Previously on TheHotPepper.com

photo-thumb-7830.jpg
 "Should I just start over?" 
photo-thumb-2.jpg
 "There has to be a point where you stop taking advice and roll with what you like."

photo-thumb-7830.jpg
 "It's the pride of trying to do everything yourself..."

photo-5768.jpg

"...if you have a vision you want to achieve, hiring an artist can be a great way to go..."

--------------------- 8< *snip*

So here's the product design that the marketing firm and I settled on after discussing our company vision and direction.  Aside from minor edits (I see a few even now) I wanted a product packaging that would appeal to a broad general population audience from young to mature, with a bold look that could be easily identified and used by back-yard-grillers to sandwich shops to restaurant tables without losing it's charm.

Sam&Oliver is committed to only using the best wholesome ingredients to create healthy and fun condiments for anyone who wants to enjoy them with their food creations, and as such the packaging should also reflect this ideal with a clean label.

Sample Label:

samandoliverlabel-v42_zpsd4a97b34.png

Bottle Render by the design firm:  Finished product will use black caps and a black tamper-evident shrink band:

(coming soon)

Here's the Brand:

snologo_zps70090023.png

and

snologo2_zpscee79993.png

Colors used for the logo:

snocolors_zps9f4a3443.png

So that's what I've been doing for the last few weeks.  Once this is finalized I can start my Kickstarter, and then look into production, then product liability insurance and trying to figure out how to actually sell and/or ship the stuff for a fair price.

Sam & Oliver dog silhouettes from the logo...

and the prototype gauge that will be used (now with negative space dividing the scales, larger red indicator, bold lettering on the indicated heat level)

Sent this to the designer, along with various notes, and spell checking.  Will post the results when I get it.

Edit: Cinder Habanero will actually be "Hot" on the gauge.  The Extra Hot will remain, in black, as one of my possible sauces is in the super hot category, should I produce it.

Attachments

• samnoliver-logo15.png
    samnoliver-logo15.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Heat Indicator.png
    Heat Indicator.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 60
My only input about this style of heat meter is that with such large bars as indicators you're not leaving yourself a lot of room for nuance.

Like, what happens if you come out with a 2nd hot, or a hotter extra hot?

Sometimes the tried & true red bar that you fill up like a thermometer is best because it allows you to fill it up to 1/2 way into extra hot, leaving you the freedom to make a slightly hotter hot or a hotter extra hot and still be able to differentiate between them on the heat scale.

Maybe I'm nit picking here, but if you have two extra hots down the road, each with ifentical heat indicators you're going to get asked which is hotter - a lot.

Just throwing it out there...you might not have multiple, similar heat level sauces...but it's nice to leave yourself that flexibility.

good luck with your designer!

In thinking of a product line all inclusive,  for a heat scale, I will make something that will be able to delineate 2/10, 5/10, 8.5/10....

Well here it is, in all its glory.  I'm 100% satisfied with this... I'm thinking black matte center panel on white gloss...

IRT The Indicators: I see what you mean future expansion.  My business plan for the next 2 years does include a strawberry-brainstrain sauce, which the extra-hot segment will be reserved for.

Currently I have my Cinder Sauce as the first and exclusive sauce in production for the near future until I can be sure I can even sell enough to stay in business.  This will be at the HOT segment.

Other recipes may include a Cinder-Ranch, Cinder Bleu Cheese and other hots... I have no plans for multiple super hots.  If I do, I'll have to adjust it when I re-design the label anyway (TM to Registered Trademark change down the road)... I may not keep the mild segment.  (By the way, the Mild looks unbalanced but there is a 1/8" bleed so it ultimately will look more centered once cut.

I can't thank you guys enough for your input on this.  Really, there is no other way to convey my gratitude other than to say thank you for your time, patience and wisdom you imparted on me in this journey.  The experiences and pitfalls that everyone here has gone through has truly been worth its weight in gold...

I did a thrice-over on it and can't see anything spelled wrong... I tried having left and full justify on the top left panel and the left justify just looked too unkempt for my liking... I'll have time to refine this in the future.

I guess this is off to the press for proofs and then onto the FDA for approval... :)

... excited and ****ing bricks at the same time ...

Edit: just noticed the Sam and Oliver breaks over into 2 lines in the lower left.  Changing this now...

Attachments

• S&amp;O Final Label.PNG
    S&amp;O Final Label.PNG
    559.5 KB · Views: 63
Congrats!

It was a long journey. 

I dig. Of course I could nit pick, but I think it's great, so no need. Glad you are 100%. That's what it takes man. 100% doesn't mean you won't change things later, but it means at this point in time you are 100%. 90% is for underachievers. :)

(I can't deny, it's kinda nice seeing some of my ideas up there. Everyone else's too. Great team work.) :D

Kalitarios said:
Well here it is, in all its glory.  I'm 100% satisfied with this... I'm thinking black matte center panel on white gloss...

IRT The Indicators: I see what you mean future expansion.  My business plan for the next 2 years does include a strawberry-brainstrain sauce, which the extra-hot segment will be reserved for.

Currently I have my Cinder Sauce as the first and exclusive sauce in production for the near future until I can be sure I can even sell enough to stay in business.  This will be at the HOT segment.

Other recipes may include a Cinder-Ranch, Cinder Bleu Cheese and other hots... I have no plans for multiple super hots.  If I do, I'll have to adjust it when I re-design the label anyway (TM to Registered Trademark change down the road)... I may not keep the mild segment.  (By the way, the Mild looks unbalanced but there is a 1/8" bleed so it ultimately will look more centered once cut.

I can't thank you guys enough for your input on this.  Really, there is no other way to convey my gratitude other than to say thank you for your time, patience and wisdom you imparted on me in this journey.  The experiences and pitfalls that everyone here has gone through has truly been worth its weight in gold...

I did a thrice-over on it and can't see anything spelled wrong... I tried having left and full justify on the top left panel and the left justify just looked too unkempt for my liking... I'll have time to refine this in the future.

I guess this is off to the press for proofs and then onto the FDA for approval... :)

... excited and ****ing bricks at the same time ...

Edit: just noticed the Sam and Oliver breaks over into 2 lines in the lower left.  Changing this now...

Great job! Looks awesome.
I still would have centered some of the text on the left, but like THP said, we could nit pick forever.  as long as you are happy, that's all that matters!

cheers!

I'd nudge the heat scale words so they looked more centered. They may not be, but center them "to the eye."

Do you prefer ml, or mL. Both are correct. Usually I see ml.

You really want to keep at it? :lol:

[SIZE=11pt]Hey, just a few things I wanted to mention from a consistency/proofreading standpoint. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]You have all-natural with a hyphen in the upper paragraph, but below your heat meter, it doesn’t have the hyphen. Whether you use the hyphen or not, pick one and go with it. And if you use a hyphen for all-natural, I’d put one between gluten-free too.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I’d put a period after Refrigerate After Opening, since you did with the sentence right above it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I’d also put a period after the sentence that ends with your URL. The only time you wouldn’t use a period after URL is when someone would be copying and pasting the link, and they accidentally picked up the period with the URL. Impossible to happen with a physical label.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“Learn about Sam and Oliver and what inspired us online at samandoliver.com.” That sentence makes it sounds like someone will learn what Sam and Oliver got inspired about while they were online. Add two commas and the sentence is better.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Learn about Sam and Oliver, and what inspired us, online at samandoliver.com.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]You can put the TM anywhere, but typically people put it in the first mention of the trademarked word or phrase, or the most prominent placement. It’s up to you, but the cinder in the center panel is much more prominent. I’d put it there. Just have the designer shrink it down so it’s not huge.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]You could put a space between 6 and oz. And oz could have a period (oz. vs. oz).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]*These are not necessarily errors -- I’m an editor and trained to look for stuff like this – so if you like what you have, by all means stick with it. Good luck![/SIZE]

Back