labels Sam&Oliver sauce company - sample label, bottle render soon

Previously on TheHotPepper.com

photo-thumb-7830.jpg
 "Should I just start over?" 
photo-thumb-2.jpg
 "There has to be a point where you stop taking advice and roll with what you like."

photo-thumb-7830.jpg
 "It's the pride of trying to do everything yourself..."

photo-5768.jpg

"...if you have a vision you want to achieve, hiring an artist can be a great way to go..."

--------------------- 8< *snip*

So here's the product design that the marketing firm and I settled on after discussing our company vision and direction.  Aside from minor edits (I see a few even now) I wanted a product packaging that would appeal to a broad general population audience from young to mature, with a bold look that could be easily identified and used by back-yard-grillers to sandwich shops to restaurant tables without losing it's charm.

Sam&Oliver is committed to only using the best wholesome ingredients to create healthy and fun condiments for anyone who wants to enjoy them with their food creations, and as such the packaging should also reflect this ideal with a clean label.

Sample Label:

samandoliverlabel-v42_zpsd4a97b34.png

Bottle Render by the design firm:  Finished product will use black caps and a black tamper-evident shrink band:

(coming soon)

Here's the Brand:

snologo_zps70090023.png

and

snologo2_zpscee79993.png

Colors used for the logo:

snocolors_zps9f4a3443.png

So that's what I've been doing for the last few weeks.  Once this is finalized I can start my Kickstarter, and then look into production, then product liability insurance and trying to figure out how to actually sell and/or ship the stuff for a fair price.

it hasn't been rendered yet... just thought I would share other colors other than the red sauce.  figured it may lend to a wider picture of what I see/saw/is seeing/seen/seashell?  beach?  I'll see if I can get him to render another

It's just the same label different color.

As a product line they look like acrylic paints you find in an art store. All other comments are the same. Don't like. :(

The Hot Pepper said:

Can you link me these as a source again I lost them.  I honestly cannot find them anywhere on my computer now
my own mockup... sending this in

note: Extra hot was added for if/when I add a super-hot category sauce, I want to have that expressed, also may have others look for it if they found the hot, what else is there, since there's a slot for it

Attachments

• how about this.png
    how about this.png
    623.8 KB · Views: 58
As a mock-up it's cool... so they know where you want to go.

Clear and informative branding at top.

Sauce name and image to hammer the cinder name home.

Yes, send them that, if they are good they can work some magic and make something that looks clean and slick, but conveys all that. Interested to see what they do.

I much prefer this too, it's put your personality back in. One thing to note though, if you are looking for a label line where you can just change the color/name with each sauce, the hot coals may not work. If you are looking for a label which keeps your brand but the label artwork changes with each sauce, this would work well. Either way is cool, but for the latter you get to go through this process with every sauce :-)

mplshothead said:
Right, you can't over think that stuff or you will go nuts. My sauce company is Hellraising Hot Sauce -- that is our brand and each flavor has a name that ties back to the brand. I remember briefly wondering if we would lose overly sensitive customers because of the name, but I quickly realized that was ridiculous (because it's a hot sauce, not a religious belief) and not one person has ever brought it up. 
mpls~, we had this same discussion when deciding about Pure Evil.  The Supermarkets may not carry sauces like SofaKing, WhoopAss, Satan's Taint, or Pure Evil, but the supermarket is not the target customer for Pure Evil. 

Kali~  LIKE this rendition!  Still some tweaks but this is a base design to work from.  I can see it working for the different sauces shown in the multi-colored bottle mock-up.  Whether you use images of the ingredients in place of the embers, that can be worked out later.  Like the dogs, like the diagonal color bands...I think you're in the right track! 

Tweaks..... widen the center panel as much as possible.  It's not centered (more space on the right than on the left).  Use every millimeter of available space. 
Try reversing the black and red on the heat gauge. 

Still trying to fogure out how Sam & Oliver (the pugs) go with the product name "cinder". Two themes , one product line.

I go with color-based labels and give a description at the bottom so my labels are a poor example, but for example, Fat Cat has a great and consistent branding where he's got his cool little cartoon cat and each variety of sauce is a thematic play on that.

Cat in Heat
Purry Purry sauce
Etc

The pugs are good
The cinders are good

Pugs+cinders = confusing mess to my brain.

Why not some kinda dog-based naming convention? Not saying copy fat cat - just an example.

I just can't grasp what your product names have to do with the dogs and it's very distracting to me.

No offense intended. I just can't make sense of this. Pick one, dogs or cinders. Run with it...an entire background of glowing coals with the name "cinder" would look cool and make sense. Two pugs with a dog-themed name would make sense. Either/or, not both.

Sam & Oliver will eventually be also making cedar planks for smoking, rubs, cooking tools, etc. it's just a name, not a theme.

The name rolled well and i ran with it for my company name.

Cinder was a random name chosen because of a combination of onomatopoeia, and ember didnt have the sizzle sound. I dont care much for themes like all dogs or whatever. Cinder is one of two products with it

Cinder habanero
Cinder ranch

Then it's onto bbq sauces, a strawberry preserve brainstrain sauce, a horseradish-marmalade sauce, a few ribs, marinade, cedar smoking planks, and more.

Cinder habanero sauce is only one product in a series of sauces/etc from S&O [seeee!!! I'm already abreviating!!!! but that's only because we're friends and family and know what we're talking about  for the last ???? weeks......  :rolleyes:....]

Sam&Olivers is the brand name.     

Disregarding Cinders from the equation (as it is only one of several products) and visualize the label without Cinders and insert SomeOtherSauceName....

I'm liking the latest version.  Pug silhouettes behind the Name brings in the pups that Jeff has been looking for, no more horror film blood drops,  this label design is very versatile for different products.   

Side Note to Jeff!!!!

you mentioned how one has a tail up and the other a tail down.  Make sure the dogs' sillouettes correctly reflect their tails and actual size in the images behind their names.  One larger, one smaller....

Did I mention the cinders look like Kingsford Charcoal?  

OK!  that's it I'm outta here!   

(not really~   :lol:  I wanna see the final version of S&O's first sauce!!!! )  

Hang in there , Bro..... you're SSSsssooooooOOOOOo close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kalitarios said:
Sam & Oliver will eventually be also making cedar planks for smoking, rubs, cooking tools, etc. it's just a name, not a theme.

The name rolled well and i ran with it for my company name.

Cinder was a random name chosen because of a combination of onomatopoeia, and ember didnt have the sizzle sound. I dont care much for themes like all dogs or whatever. Cinder is one of two products with it

Cinder habanero
Cinder ranch

Then it's onto bbq sauces, a strawberry preserve brainstrain sauce, a horseradish-marmalade sauce, a few ribs, marinade, cedar smoking planks, and more.
I get what you're saying. I'm just giving you my gut reaction to the label.

I see pugs. I see briquettes (I know it's just a concept - I tend to think wood cinders) - I see the name cinder.

They all have equal weight on the label.

Your concept sounds good - I'd humbly suggest that it needs better balance.

Maybe shrink the branding down but keep Sam &
Oliver's text the same size? Or maybe put them on the romance panel.

Put the emphasis on the product - focus the label on cinder if it's cinder.

This label has a lot of separate and competing images in my opinion. It could work if some components were de-emphasized (branding) and some emphasized (theme of the specific product)

Two variations:

Fixed "refrigerator"
Block-Justify ingredients
Re-worded the "Learn more about" section

To do: may swap the "Made for" and nutritional panel so there's more of a border, so it doesn't look so uncentered (which it is, but the left panel butts up against the center more.
*hand draw dogs instead of clipart placeholder

Attachments

• Cinder2.PNG
    Cinder2.PNG
    538.9 KB · Views: 50
  • cinder3.PNG
    cinder3.PNG
    431.6 KB · Views: 58
I had written a post about liking the revised one with the dogs on it much better and just as I posted it, You had posted the above.

I like the direction this is going in. It has more character to it then the original drippy one. 

As a cat owner I wouldn't even consider picking this up at the store.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:     I'm kidding of course, what a silly suggestion that it would alienate cat owners.

After all this discussion, I really want to try this sauce!

Hey man, wow, this is getting to where it's just nit picking.

I like a lot that you did.
Removing "sauce company" cleans it up.
Sam&Oliver under dogs instead of over dogs looks great.

Now, you're asking which is better. To me #2. Why?
1) You have separation between brand and sauce name.
2) Stand back and imagine these on a table at a convention... my eye is drawn to #2.
3) I like the way colors pop on black. And you will have all these bright colors, as seen before. Colors like lime and yellow will look awesome on black.
4) It looks HOTTER! The name is in the black with the cinder, same color as the cinder, making it look like cinder itself.

Overall you have a clean label with high contrast, brand identity, and a clear vision. Congrats!

Nit pick: I actually don't like justified text. Sure the box looks cool but it hurts the eyes to read, and when reading, to me, it looks wrong with all the extra spaces. That's a personal nit pick.

The embers could be more defined, but keeping them the same color as the name... brilliant! Well done. This will carry over well across your line with each color.

This is a sauce I would try. :)

Keep at it you're almost there.

The more I look DEFINITELY #2! Lime and those other bright colors on black... awesome. I can just picture lime text and a lime wedge, etc. Once there is sauce in the bottle it won't look like as much black as you think (since you said you don't like a lot of black).

Oh! These would look awesome in a matte finish. I love matte black and bright colors. And just the black in matte would be so cool, but probably expensive to print.

I didn't even consider matte finish/gloss.  I figured they all ended up glossy with water-proof labels.  I'm going by what I saw on the shelf with 95% of what was there.  A few had these funny labels that felt like cloth or some odd paper style... but I always figured they were just printed + laminated onto the spool.

I'll have him mock up the block vs no-block.  I always thought left justify looked funny as it's nice and neat on the left but the right is jagged

I like #2 as well.
My little .02, and it is my OCD talking.

If it were my label, I wouldn't sleep at night seeing how the 'Made for Sam&Oliver..." is laid out over two lines....seems unbalanced.

If it were me, I'd simply shorten it to Manufactured by: yadda yadda, so it was all on one line....

and the text on the left underneath the heat meter and above the barcode, I would center those two paragraphs instead of having them flush left. Again, all about balance....and i'd center the barcode as well...

but perhaps its just my illness...LOL

Yeah matte black with the red in gloss would be sick! But probably an involved and expensive process. Seen it done. Not sure on hot sauce but seen it.

GeminiCrow said:
If it were my label, I wouldn't sleep at night seeing how the 'Made for Sam&Oliver..." is laid out over two lines....seems unbalanced.

Also in the "Learn more..." try to not break Sam and Oliver into two lines. That's the name of the dogs but also the brand. One line.

Back