• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SANARDA'S GLOG UPDATE 9/8/2013

Here is the list so far:

7 pot Jonah (Mgold/Matt pod)
7 pot mystery (Mgold/Matt pod)
7 pot Red (Jamie/Romy pod)
7 pot yellow (Mgold/Matt pod)
Aji Lemon (Romy pod)
Assam (Mgold/Matt pod)
Barrackpore (Pepperlover)
Bhut Giant Red (Matt/Mgold pod)
Bhut Peach (Matt/Mgold pod)
Bhut Chocolate (Matt/Mgold pod)
Bhut Hybrid (Jamie/Romy pod)
Brain Strain Yellow (DVFSTR/Dave pod)
ButchT (Dvfstr/Dave pod) and Mgold's (Pod)
CARDI Scorp Yellow (Jamie/Romy pod)
Choc Hab (PaulG pod) (Romy) (Matt/Mgold)
Datil (Jamie/Romy pod)
Dorset Naga (Jamie/Romy)
Douglah Red (Dfstr/Dave pod)
Douglah Hybrid (Jamie/Romy Pod)
Fatalli x Red Savina (Matt/Mgold pod)
Goats Weed (PaulG pod)
Habanero BLK (Matt/Mgold pod)
Moruga Red (Matt/Mgold pod)
Naga Morich (Matt/Mgold pod)(DVFSTR/Dave pod) (Paul G I think)
Suave Red (NMSU) two seeds
Trinidad Scorp Yellow (Matt/Mgold pod)
Trinidad Perfume (Matt/Mgold pod)
Uba Tuba (NMSU) I only have two seeds
Zavory (Burpee) Two seeds

Seeds yet to purchase:

7 pot infinity
7 pot Primo
7 pot Brown
Barbados
Black Cayman
Black Naga
Black Stinger
Cleo's Dragon
Fish
Malaysian Goronong
Moruga Scorp Yellow
Naga Viper
Red Savina
Safi Red
West Indian Red

Wish list:
Billy Boy Douglah
Sepia Serpent

Hi Pia
   One thing I notice about your soil is that it's loaded with clay. That's what makes it form clods when it dries out. I'll bet it sticks to your boots when it rains, right? Clay holds moisture, which is good, but water and plant roots have a hard time penetrating it which limits the size your peppers get to. If you can find a municipal source of free mulch, look for compost at the same place and use that for mulch instead. Lay single sheets of newspaper on the ground around the plants you want to mulch... overlap the edges of the sheets of paper and cover with at least 3-4 inches of compost. This has the benefits of blocking weeds already in your soil, adding nutes that leach out of the compost when it rains, and if you spade it all in when you put your garden to bed for the winter it'll improve the drainage of your soil and lighten it so water and roots can penetrate it more easily.

stickman said:
Hi Pia
   One thing I notice about your soil is that it's loaded with clay. That's what makes it form clods when it dries out. I'll bet it sticks to your boots when it rains, right? Clay holds moisture, which is good, but water and plant roots have a hard time penetrating it which limits the size your peppers get to. If you can find a municipal source of free mulch, look for compost at the same place and use that for mulch instead. Lay single sheets of newspaper on the ground around the plants you want to mulch... overlap the edges of the sheets of paper and cover with at least 3-4 inches of compost. This has the benefits of blocking weeds already in your soil, adding nutes that leach out of the compost when it rains, and if you spade it all in when you put your garden to bed for the winter it'll improve the drainage of your soil and lighten it so water and roots can penetrate it more easily.
Ohhhhh!! It sure does stick to my shoes when it's wet. It's a pain. Ok so a layer of newspaper and then compost on top of the newspaper. South Jersey will be getting a visitor soon. I think that's where I have to go for some decent compost. Or maybe Rutgers has a program. Ill research it
Thanks Rick. Much appreciated. I need to get them jump started immediately

Pia, they don't look that bad. New growth is green, as mentioned. My plants got hardened roughly and then water logged from a ton of rain over a few weeks. All before planting. Lower leaved yellowed and sunburnt on many. Lost a ton of leaves. I have lots of new growth up top now and some leaves are greening up. Some of the yellower leaves just aren't going to make it, but that just has opened up for more branching.
Great suggestions here. Any ground cover is good, be it mulch or compost. Helps retain moisture!
Use what's available. Free or cheap is better. Even if you have to buy a bag or two, score the cheapest hardwood or pine bark mulch (less than $3 a 2cuft bag) and just put around each plant & fill in later. I have woods behind me on my property so raked up pinestraw to use. Free! Hit the city up. Hit up tree services, they give away free wood chips.
They are going to go off once the roots really take hold!

Pia, they look great.  They are plants, which means they are alive.  They have protective mechanisms, adaptive mechanisms, growth mechanisms, you name it.  Sometimes when they look a bit rough they are just protecting, adapting, and changing growth programs/strategies.  They will outgrow it.  Once they figure out their environment, they will optimize themselves to it.  I have a couple of sickly looking plants, some that have never set more than one pod, some that continue to set tiny pods when they are supposed to be much larger.  But I think they will figure it out for themselves. 

Keep it up, girl.  You got this!

GA Growhead said:
Pia, they don't look that bad. New growth is green, as mentioned. My plants got hardened roughly and then water logged from a ton of rain over a few weeks. All before planting. Lower leaved yellowed and sunburnt on many. Lost a ton of leaves. I have lots of new growth up top now and some leaves are greening up. Some of the yellower leaves just aren't going to make it, but that just has opened up for more branching.
Great suggestions here. Any ground cover is good, be it mulch or compost. Helps retain moisture!
Use what's available. Free or cheap is better. Even if you have to buy a bag or two, score the cheapest hardwood or pine bark mulch (less than $3 a 2cuft bag) and just put around each plant & fill in later. I have woods behind me on my property so raked up pinestraw to use. Free! Hit the city up. Hit up tree services, they give away free wood chips.
They are going to go off once the roots really take hold!
Thats great that you said that because at work today I took down some tree company numbers and planned on calling them tomorrow.  I am going to measure my square footage so I can ask for the correct amount.  Its funny I just dug up the plot according to what I thought I needed and didnt consider to measure for square footage.  My planning skills are in the basement.
Thanks GH.  Input is always much appreciated.

DocNrock said:
Pia, they look great.  They are plants, which means they are alive.  They have protective mechanisms, adaptive mechanisms, growth mechanisms, you name it.  Sometimes when they look a bit rough they are just protecting, adapting, and changing growth programs/strategies.  They will outgrow it.  Once they figure out their environment, they will optimize themselves to it.  I have a couple of sickly looking plants, some that have never set more than one pod, some that continue to set tiny pods when they are supposed to be much larger.  But I think they will figure it out for themselves. 

Keep it up, girl.  You got this!

Thanks Doc.  I looked at them today while getting up some leaves and they are pretty much staying the same.  Which I consider to be a great thing. 

fish-with-hands1.jpg

from here:
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fish-hands-legs.shtml

Your plants are looking good Pia!  I heartily second Rick's advice.  I've got soil with a lot of clay in it and that's exactly what I do as well. 

But you've got a lot of growth on those plants - it's been fun to see you get into this and do so well!  And, of course, we will all enjoy the taste test videos, right?

stc3248 said:
That's soooo cool Shane!!!

Pulpiteer said:
Your plants are looking good Pia!  I heartily second Rick's advice.  I've got soil with a lot of clay in it and that's exactly what I do as well. 

But you've got a lot of growth on those plants - it's been fun to see you get into this and do so well!  And, of course, we will all enjoy the taste test videos, right?
Yeah Andy!! I actually will do some vids this season!! They won't be whole pods though. And thanks. I am still looking into getting some mulch. Or wood chips.

Sanarda said:
Yeah Andy!! I actually will do some vids this season!! They won't be whole pods though. And thanks. I am still looking into getting some mulch. Or wood chips.

Compost... think compost... ;)

Hey, Pia, where you at, girl?  I'm thinking you're off sipping margaritas on a tropical beach somewhere, since I haven't seen you around in a while.

I'm hoping your off doing something fun, and not just working too much to visit THP.

Looking forward to your next update!

Back