food Sandwich of the Month

No, it's wearing Carmen Sandiego's hat and trench coat. Uber secret, spy material even.....

Still, looks yummy!

Didn't have some stuff in the fridge I wanted to include, but here's a first stab at an idea I've been toying with:

Coconut milk, egg, mace, cinnamon, and aji panca powder..
P1010627.JPG

Sliced apple sprinkled with the same seasonings....
P1010629.JPG

French-toasting an english muffin in the coconut milk mix....
P1010630.JPG

Slap some blueberry greek yogurt on one half...
P1010631.JPG

Add apple rings....
P1010632.JPG

A little more yogurt and the top...
P1010633.JPG

And there you go. Probably the least colorful sammie you'll ever see me make, but yummy!
P1010634.JPG

So y'all had yer fill of brekkie sammich's?

Dig it.

The pea is spinning pretty hard in my noggin' and I'm 'thankin' somethin' a leeeetle beet differnt' for August SOTM.

Bein' the kitchen bum n' all, like I am, I can't help but wonder just how much would you spend on a sandwich?

Gotta' reckon in the upscale foo foo joints that a baloney sammich would have to look waaaay better than say a $3.99 mom & pop.

So what would a $12.99 baloney sammich even look like? Or ANY sandwich at that price?

Well then, that is the question.

And y'all 'd hafta' make that sammich and post it up.

Make me a $12.99 sammich dammit!

THP is correct.

Ain't nobody wanna' go and spend $$$ on ingredients to fix a foo foo sammich.

Therefore, Ima' go with what I really wanted to go with for August SOTM.

SOTM August will be Salad Sandwich.

Tuna salad, egg salad, chix salad, etc.

That's cheapness and everybody can do it.

Do it!

The Hot Pepper said:

Imported mortadella.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw "expensive baloney".... and I just so happen to have an authentic Italian deli ten minutes from my house. My fiance is going there this afternoon to get some of their homemade ciabatta to make some meatball sammies with tonight.

Phil said:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw "expensive baloney".... and I just so happen to have an authentic Italian deli ten minutes from my house. My fiance is going there this afternoon to get some of their homemade ciabatta to make some meatball sammies with tonight.

You absolutely HAVE to post that!

Phil said:

Sounds like a good place. I love ciabatta. The stuff in the supermarket is always dense but fresh it is so soft. It's one bread that denses up pretty quick so people don't really know real ciabbtta but it rules. Take a pic. I want to see your local ciabatta.

Next-day ciabatta has that spongy dense feeling, but fresh is buttery soft with a crust.

There may already be one, but I didn't see it. Since there's a SOTM thread, I'm starting this so those who don't enter the monthly sammie contest can post their homemade delicatessen concoctions here. I was told by a certain bluesy type o' fella from my neighboring state to the west that I needed to post a pic of tonight's sammie, so here it is!

Ciabatta bread from our local Italian deli, brushed with olive oil and fresh chopped sweet basil

9413044750_6188d39bce_b.jpg

Stack the homemade meatsaballz on there.... I cut them to ensure I got maximum bread coverage

9410284059_ca02a0cb2d_b.jpg

top with muenster scheese, fresh cut bell pepper rings, and habanero cheddar for a heat element

9410288035_c10397fa43_b.jpg

9413057828_ea0d044872_b.jpg

brush the bread top with olive oil and crust with fresh cracked black pepper and toss in the sammie press. Gooey hot and git it!

9410314603_705a9c4456_b.jpg

Thanks for the move, pook.

This bread was light and crisp, and it crunched up PERFECTLY in the sandwich press

The Hot Pepper said:

Sounds like a good place. I love ciabatta. The stuff in the supermarket is always dense but fresh it is so soft. It's one bread that denses up pretty quick so people don't really know real ciabbtta but it rules. Take a pic. I want to see your local ciabatta.

Next-day ciabatta has that spongy dense feeling, but fresh is buttery soft with a crust.

Randazzo's Italian market.... all imported meat and scheeses. You should try their muffaletta! And the antipasto is stupid good!

Back