food Sandwich of the Month

Practice? With fish? HA!

That aside.....

I didn't have the color thang down, but .... Warm egg olive salad sammie. There was a little ice cream shop in Akron (on Market Street) that I used to frequent, when I worked in that area, as they also served sammies at lunch time. They made this sammie that I'd scarf down a few times a week. It's been years since I've been there, though, yet while I didn't come close to their version, my first attempt at it was pretty tasty. 

The players:
P1010649.JPG

Whipping cream, cheese, sea salt, aji panca powder, paprika, ground mustard, flour (not pictured), butter, celery, red bell pepper, kalamata olives, green onion, crumpled bacon, green olives, my first ripe ancho mulato, garlic, hard boiled eggs. 

The ancho mulato, btw, was from a plant I overwintered. I always got too impatient last year to let the pods ripen, so this was my first taste of a ripe ancho mulato. I think I just found another fav.

So make a light roux with butter and flour, stir in the cream and let it get nice and thick, then stir in cheese. Let the cheese get all melty, then stir in everything except the eggs. Gently warm (going for warm here to retain the crunch; don't cook), then fold in the chopped eggs. Slap it on some bread. I only had potato bread around, so that's what it's on, ever so lightly toasted. 

P1010650.JPG

P1010651.JPG

G.

Your post is super wombat chingon!

I'd eat that right now and for breakfast too!

Cheese and olives.

God's food.

Mine too!

Never thought of egg salad with cheese and all those other ingredients but damn, sounds tasty. I like the warm idea. Gotta have that with the melty cheese. Just sounds... right.

As your username says ... "GEE ME" ONE NOW!

Egg salad showdown: geeme wins!

Thanks! There is one thing I would do differently, for sure, and that is eliminate or reduce the kalamata olives. The little shop I wrote about didn't use them, but I thought I'd give them a try. I found them too strong against the other flavors.  Granted, mine doesn't taste anything like what I remember, but the last time I ate there was maybe 1999 or 2000. All I really remember about their sammie was the egg, olive, and celery...... 

HigherThisHeat said:
Take any ingredient ever. Mix with mayo = Salad

German potato salad = non-mayo salad, now quit rule makin' and posty this non-entry, mayo or no mayo!

Mayo: Yet another much-maligned ingredient in my house. Not nearly as maligned as BP, but it's only infrequently found here. 

BP: Shouldn't be classified as a food substance. Just sayin'.......  :D

You could argue it has nothing to do with the mayo at all, but something chopped or sliced etc., mixed with chopped veggies, and served chilled. But geeme served hers warm, and it looks like egg salad to me. And no mayo. The cheese binds it. So just postie up what you think is a salad sammie. NOW!

The Hot Pepper said:
You could argue it has nothing to do with the mayo at all, but something chopped or sliced etc., mixed with chopped veggies, and served chilled. But geeme served hers warm, and it looks like egg salad to me. And no mayo. The cheese binds it. So just postie up what you think is a salad sammie. NOW!

I concur No. 1.

G's salad sammich was an egg salad but with a unique twist.

I thought it brilliant indeed with the queso.

Far as the mayo 'thang.

I don't like the usual chemical based soy/cottonseed/palm/hydrogenized b.s mayo.

Olive oil base mayo, I'm hip to.

Makes and excellent sauce base or an excellent base for salad sammich's.

There's a heap load of talent that has come and visited these pages.

I'm still waiting for HTH to come clean and post an awesome tuna melt.

Do it.

texas blues said:

I'm still waiting for HTH to come clean and post an awesome tuna melt.

Do it.

Don't make me come up with an excuse to make, yet another one!

Ok.. you've done it. I will have one. Tomorrow or Sunday.

Not tonight though. Tuna ain't on the menu. Cause esta noche... la casa es mine >=) so mucho junk food, mucho beer and obnoxious guitar playin.

HigherThisHeat said:
Tuna ain't on the menu. Cause esta noche... la casa es mine >=) so mucho junk food, mucho beer and obnoxious guitar playin.
Well you said just add mayo and it's salad so let's see that junk food salad sammie! No excuses now!

Back