food Sandwich of the Month

I"m gonna make my own cold cuts....I can control the level of crap that goes into it that way. 

Good idea TB. I hope lots of people enter (that's what she said).

Oh man. I grew up on cold cuts, liverwurst, Leberkäse, and German wurst of every variety. I am now jonesing for the German delicatessen in Pike Place Market. We might be making a trip over there and if we do, I will take lots of pictures. No better Cold Cuts than here: http://bavarianmeats.com/

Good call TB.

Must do list when going to PPM...

Go to DeLaurenti's for Biscotti and coffee.
Picture with the pig.
Watch flying Salmon.
Load up on incense at Tenzing Momo.
Bavarian Deli.
Back to DeLaurenti's for $6000 worth of cheese.

Pop was in The Nam.

I was in 6th grade in Dundee, MI.

Grandpa still owned The Town Tavern.

Mom would give me couple of bucks and I'd go to the local butcher uptown.

Most times on my bike with the banana seat, sissy bar, and ape hanger's.

I had been playing the clarinet for 2 years.

Good times.

My brothers and I managed to burn down grandma's barn that year.

I should be dead.

Anywhoo..

For less than 2 bucks I got a gallon of milk, a pound of bologna, and a pound of hungarian colbase. That's right. Spelled with a C. Because I'm bohunk gypsy and thats how we rolled.

We ate plenty Hungarian goulash, stuffed cabbage, kolache's 'n all, but we also ate a lot of cold cuts.

I remember eating a lot of really good German style bologna.

Hot dogs too.

EcKert is the name of the brand that comes to mind.

Soul food.

My food.

Mortadella, with pistachios. The only bologna worth eating.

mortadella.jpg

LOL!

No, CJ, some mortadella has pistachios in it. But yeah, that's not as common as those with olives. Oh joy.... "olive loaf"..... brings back such "interesting" memories....

The Spanish put olives and yeah there's a cheap knockoff at the deli counter called olive loaf. Stay away! :lol:

Mortadella from Bologna Italy, pistacios.

I like it a lot but I have to mix it with other meats. It's great on a hero with salami (sopressata), capicola, provolone (or mozz), L&T, oil & vinegar. I often replace the tomato with roasted red peppers and leave the lettuce off.

If it has provolone I like red wine vinegar, fresh mozz, balsamic.

Boom!

geeme said:
LOL!

No, CJ, some mortadella has pistachios in it. But yeah, that's not as common as those with olives. Oh joy.... "olive loaf"..... brings back such "interesting" memories....
She was kidding. We have had it and Peppercorn Bologna too. :rofl:

Heck yeah TB. I grew up with all the German cold cuts, wursts and wieners too. My dad would make Aspic. He called it aspic so I would eat the head cheese that it was. But my favorite was the Leberkäse. You could get it plane, or with pimentos etc. in it. He would by it raw still in a paste form and mix his own stuff into it Capers and Red onions were my fave. Then bake it and that crust... oh that crust...

View attachment 7157

The Hot Pepper said:
The Spanish put olives and yeah there's a cheap knockoff at the deli counter called olive loaf. Stay away! :lol:

Mortadella from Bologna Italy, pistacios.

I like it a lot but I have to mix it with other meats. It's great on a hero with salami (sopressata), capicola, provolone (or mozz), L&T, oil & vinegar. I often replace the tomato with roasted red peppers and leave the lettuce off.

If it has provolone I like red wine vinegar, fresh mozz, balsamic.

Boom!
Pistachio's.

Really?

I'm ashamed.

I might have to do research.

I cut down on cured meats and salty meats. Used to eat a lot of Italian cold cuts. I have real Italian joints here with the imported stuff, and the fun is, with all the meats and cheeses, you can literally make a sandwich you've never had before each time. On fresh breads. And then of course, you have to always get your favorites. But it's too fattening. I haven't had one in a long time.

Pickled cherry peppers make them!

Heh - cutting down on cured and salty meats doesn't eliminate meats. Slab o' ribeye, marinated skirt steak, prime rib....... nuthin' hippy about those!  ;)

Back