• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Sandwich of the Month

TB settled the Cuban debate.

Sum will be happy.

JayT said:
I had one of the best steaks of my life at a steakhouse called Charlies in Tampa.  Maybe you can find that.

http://www.talkofthetownrestaurants.com/charleys_tampa.html

They sell fish there too. :lol:

Charlie's is just down the way a few miles.

Who comes to Florida to eat steak?

Anyways mrs. blues has been to Charlie's.

I haven't been myself but she thinks its over priced and the steaks were just okay.

I dunno' where we're going tonight.

Good Cuban sandwiches are made with more pork than ham, and the ham is chipped, not thin cut. Mayo is a no-no on a Cuban. The pickles should be sandwich sliced dills that make a stripe down the center from one end of the sandwich to the other. Lettuce and tomato are for making medianoches... a different type of bread is used for those.

Tampa should have their "originator of the Cuban sandwich" title revoked!

Find a place that makes a good Frita, TB. I'd imagine those would be tougher to screw up.

SumOfMyBits said:
Find a place that makes a good Frita, TB. I'd imagine those would be tougher to screw up.

It's kind of hard to believe a basic Cuban could be screwed up, for that matter. Ditto for, say, BLT or a PBJ - what is so hard about getting the ingredients right??? Ok, ok, I do live in the midwest now..... can't take any "ethnic" food for granted out here. Rule is to assume everything has been "americanized" to it's blandest possible component. Le sigh....

no offense but there are good cubans around these parts.   you went to west tampa sandwhich shop :rofl: .   
what you expect?

dont get rolled while you are looking for food in the hood.   i had to chase some dude away from my truck out there.

Upon request I am double posting this guy...

Thin sliced some leftover flank steak. Layered it on top of some ciabatta and hit it with a cilantro/garlic/sour cream, quick pickled carrots and shallots, monty jack cheese,and a sliced red savina pepper.  Pannini pressed this guy with lots o butter.  Real nice lunch today!

gallery_8228_122_4388706.jpg

Husker21 said:
Upon request I am double posting this guy...

Thin sliced some leftover flank steak. Layered it on top of some ciabatta and hit it with a cilantro/garlic/sour cream, quick pickled carrots and shallots, monty jack cheese,and a sliced red savina pepper.  Pannini pressed this guy with lots o butter.  Real nice lunch today!

gallery_8228_122_4388706.jpg
I love Flank Steak!!! That looks absolutely delicious. I joined this site to grow peppers, what I did not know is that I would gain 10 pounds just by visiting all the food sub-forums here. 

El Chivito!?!

Oh! El Chivito is delicious! but is original from Uruguay, so Im thinking in something more argentinian: Menditeguy sandwich with Salsa Golf...

Oh! El Chivito is delicious! but is original from Uruguay, so Im thinking in something more argentinian: Menditeguy sandwich with Salsa Golf...

Salsa golf?
:o

The month is almost over, looks like this thread needs CPR!

Chicken breast marinated in Rocky's Lime hot sauce, w/ bacon, pepperjack, fresnos, and Big Fat's 6 of 8 Pineappe Habanero sauce, on beer bread and pressed in a little bit of the rendered bacon fat.  That's healthier than butter right? :lol:

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Salsa golf?
:o

Hola Chiliriot!

La salsa golf es mayonesa con un toque de quetchup y algunas especias a gusto.

The salsa golf is mayo with a little of ketchup and some spices.

Nice JayT. I wanna see a pressed hot dog before this SOTM is over.

SoFlo developed a sauce yesterday that tastes exactly like hot dogs... made us think of you.

True Story.

Hey y'all.

This thread has slowed down a bit from its inception but I have an idea to kick it in the butt.

I'm thinking Weird/Unusual sandwich for february.

Maybe its something you've always wanted to try but were afraid to.

Or maybe its something you eat all the time and is totally out there but its your own dirty little secret.

It could be as simple as posting your peanut butter, onion, and bacon on sourdough.

Or a sardine/tomato/mustard on a french roll.

Or whatever weird shit-o-meter 'thang you can come up with.

Ain't no rules here.

What say y'all?

Back