food Sandwich of the Month

Oh boy... here we go.

IMG_5013.jpg

I'll save the rest of the pics to put together for process.

The pork as been in the pressure cooker for about a half hour... place smells awesome. Gotta keep an eye out for the policia. They might get the feds to put me on a no fly list just so my awesomeness doesn't leave.

Magic 8 Ball says...

Y'all will be rocked!

It is certain.

Can we get Fitty to jump in here in they thing?

FD might jump in on Sunday, but I'm thinking I just did what he was just about to do.

So here's a traditional Cuban sandwich w/ Marie Sharps (white label). Cuban sandwiches are not originally intended to be spicey, but the flavors work great.

Threw the Boston butt cut of pork into the pressure cooker dusted with a healthy dose of garlic powder, cumin, salt, and a little over a cup and a half of water. Fat side down... and let that thing go for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5017.jpg

That makes it fork tender and you can pull it like this... and mix with a healthy drizzle of mojo sauce. I let this mixture sit in the bowl for about ten minutes with foil stuffed into the bowl to cover it all.

IMG_5018.jpg

Then you get your Cuban bread out, slice it in half, and start loading it up.

IMG_5019.jpg

The pulled pork typically is the first thing in the pile, followed by thinly sliced pickles.

IMG_5020.jpg

Then the thick cut ham. Thin sliced sandwich ham just doesn't cut it in this case.

IMG_5021.jpg

Then it's topped with swiss cheese and yellow mustard. I added a few dashes of Marie Sharps for some heat.

IMG_5022.jpg

Usually tossed into a panini press till the cheese melts a bit. I heat up my quesadilla skillet and one of my cast iron skillets on medium... let them get to temp and then do this.

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

The Cuban sandwich is damn good... and this is how you do it.

Not bad, but looks dry to me. I'm also confused on a Cuban sammie having Swiss cheese. Where that come from?

Not yours sum, but in general...?

I'm slow cooking some smoked pork shoulder atm. I'm gonna assemble this here sammie tomorrow and have a nosh. Never tried Cuban food before.

Not sure how swiss cheese got into Cuban cuisine. In the 1920's (not quite sure of history here, but let's just say before their revolution that started in the early 1950's.) Havana, Cuba was an international travel destination. Maybe from that? Time basically froze in Cuba after Castro took power in the late 50's. They still drive the same cars from that time period. Cuba is very interesting.

Something to ask my step-father. He's Cuban.

Sum, with that pulled pig, the thick cut ham is the only way to go.

The Mary Sharps is another nice touch.

Yours was more melty and awesome than my cubano.

Thus far 2 out of 3 sandwiches posted have used cast iron pans in lieu of a panini press or plancha.

I challenge anyone to beat your cubano Sum.

ANYONE!!

Sum, with that pulled pig, the thick cut ham is the only way to go.

The Mary Sharps is another nice touch.

Yours was more melty and awesome than my cubano.

Thus far 2 out of 3 sandwiches posted have used cast iron pans in lieu of a panini press or plancha.

I challenge anyone to beat your cubano Sum.

ANYONE!!

I am pretty sure the only one that might, possibly could, maybe, have a slim chance in hell, is FD.
Even tho the Cubano has pretty strict limitations, (to still be called a Cubano), I'm not too sure even FD could put enough twist on it to make a better Sanwich than Sum.

Yes. I am stirring the Pot.

I am pretty sure the only one that might, possibly could, maybe, have a slim chance in hell, is FD.
Even tho the Cubano has pretty strict limitations, (to still be called a Cubano), I'm not too sure even FD could put enough twist on it to make a better Sanwich than Sum.

Yes. I am stirring the Pot.

You dare to question the awesomenessess of Fitty?

Dude is an expert in all thangs fried and man battered.

I 'magine something like a fried pork belly Cubano.

Artisan style.

Ahh yes, he is a contender! Some Cubanos do have croquettes on them, bring it 5-O!
I sure wish we could have experienced an authentic Sammie wilst in Miami. :guilt: :guilt: :guilt:

Oh f**k you all, pot stirrers. I can smell a challenge when I see one!! (what?)
I'm in this.
As you see, most people have been using Store Bought Mojo to marinate their meat.
Not this guy.
Bitter oranges, Fatali, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper...that's all you need for a great homemade mojo.
This bad boy has to marinate for a good 24 hours before I SLOW ROAST it over coals.
Don't use the Boston Butt either, that's from Boston.
I use the Cuban Picnic Shoulder.
Did someone mention including croquetas? I've had it that way too...it's called a "Croqueta Preparada"
Let's see how I feel in the morning. I might have to run out to a diner. And a bakery.
I'm not cooking until tomorrow, and my sammys might not appear until Sunday.
I just want the world to know I'm in this. Bitches.
BTW, killer Cuban, Sum. I'd eat the ass end out of one of those!!!! Well done, sir.

IMGP2661.jpg

Great thread TB!!!

Scovie... if you subtract the Marie Sharps from mine, that's as authentic as you can get. When you order a cuban sandwich expect it to look almost exactly like that. Any twist added to it and the sandwich shop will change the sandwich name to something like The Miami Cuban (if you put lettuce and tomato on it), etc. The Cuban sandwich is very specific. Anyone who lives in Miami who ordered a Cuban sandwich and was presented a sandwich that had all sorts of other craziness going on would probably send it back and tell them "this isn't what I ordered."

Now it doesn't mean you can't play with the Cuban sandwich idea. There are probably hundreds of renditions within a fifty-mile radius of me, but they all have one thing in common... it's not labeled Cuban sandwich.

Uh Oh - FD's in da house! ...But looks like he's missing about 4 beers there....who sells BL in 4-packs?!?! hahaha just teasin'! ;)

I'm off to the stoh....and what a list I have!!! It'll be like a treasure hunt!!!! Then today's the marinating day....cooking tomorrow(and drinking with Sic - check out Smashed for Life - we made a "plan")...and posting when the planets line up right!

:dance:

thats right yall get in on this dranky thang!! sammys looking good everyone. im going to grab one from this shop around the corner down the way from me in a couple days. its the shizzle dizzle.

nah,,this place is 80 years old and its the daughter of the orignal owner. the sandwhich is called Dade citys best cuban,lol. and it is pretty dang good,putting the sin flo dirty cracker style up on that shiznits.

Marie sharps one of my favorites. So damn good. Gotta have it on everything.

marie-sharps-hot-habanero-pepper-sauce_large.jpg

Until you tried my sauce then you'll forget about this one.

What? I just clicked on that one link and Cubanos call for roasted pork. Don't make me make my first cubano and smoke y'all on something I've never made in my life.

Seriously, I believe in putting one's touch into things but messing with some of the recipe is a no-no for me. But that's just me.

Is this thing just a bring it on no deadline thing or is this thing a contest with a deadline?

Don't make me go slow roast some pork over 100% pure mesquite wood on my home made smoker/grill with rotisserie attachment ready, all purpose BBQ pit.

There's no time limit LC.

Its Sandwich of the Month, for July.

Last I checked, its still July.

Additionally, the SOTM is a guideline only.

If you wish to post a different sandwich other than a Cuban, please do.

I thought it would be more fun though to bring everyone together for the same sandwich.

Talk is cheap.

Post up your sammich.

Back