food Sandwich of the Month

FD, it's lookin like you're 4 beers short of a half rack... Doh!

When you order a cuban sandwich expect it to look almost exactly like that.
I wouldn't know.... Never had one... :)

A lot of talk, holding hands, and walks on the beach up in heah.

Who's got the game? And I ain't talkin about playground hopscotch y'all.

A lot of talk, holding hands, and walks on the beach up in heah.

Who's got the game? And I ain't talkin about playground hopscotch y'all.

Billy Gibbons: Got to mellow out easy if you wanna' blow your top.

Dusty Hill: But what if I ain't got no top to blow?

Billy Gibbons: Well baby, you better blow what you got!

ZZ Top Fandango.

Aight. CJ's got the Pork Cuban Butt, (they are the biggest, meatiest, and juiciest) marinating. lawdy lawdy lawdy.

I'm contributing to this thang with my mad skills too. The Honey-Do list.

We will be using Ciabatta bread, because we are as far away from any Cuban bakery as you can get, without leaving the lower 48.
So, maybe boooo on that. ah well...

I dunno why Cubans don't like spicy food, but they just don't.

We do...
30c6e0fa.jpg

c1aedfcb.jpg

3 TBS. Yellow Mustard
with 3 drops Pure Evil.

No Hopscotch y'all...

Pork butt marinating. I flipped and flopped between pulled pork and roasted pork, but since my first Cubano will most likely be in SoFlo, I thought I'd better go Miami-style. I'm gonna slow cook it mañana. BF ham...check. Pickles...check. Evil mustard...check. I don't know how I'm gonna pull this off without a slather of mayo, but I'll restrain myself! hahaha But here's where I may have gotten myself into a bit of trouble.....while searching for Swiss cheez, I discovered a block of Raclette! Technically, it's a Swiss, but from the french speaking region. And with my cheese fetish, I just couldn't resist the melty factor. Regardless - I can't wait to start assembling!!!!!! :dance:

Just had a really good conversation with my step-father about the Cuban sandwich, and I asked him about the swiss cheese. Back in the days, and probably even now, they had a lot of dairy farms in Cuba, but they made the fresh white cheese. They always had a fresh supply of cheese, but it wasn't swiss cheese.

It's argued that the Cuban sandwich was actually invented within the Cuban community in the United States. Two cities argue about where the Cuban sandwich actually originated. Miami and Tampa, both in Florida. I don't know where I read or heard this, but I think Tampa might have officially declared the Cuban sandwich as the official sandwich of the city.

Just had a really good conversation with my step-father about the Cuban sandwich, and I asked him about the swiss cheese. Back in the days, and probably even now, they had a lot of dairy farms, but they made the fresh white cheese. They always had a fresh supply of cheese, but it wasn't swiss cheese.

It's argued that the Cuban sandwich was actually invented within the Cuban community in the United States. Two cities argue about where the Cuban sandwich actually originated. Miami and Tampa, both in Florida. I don't know where I read or heard this, but I think Tampa might have officially declared the Cuban sandwich as the official sandwich of the city.

I too heard that Tampa has claimed that and also named the Cuban as its official sandwich.

As per the actual origins, internet is split pretty evenly between Cuba, Key West, Tampa, and Miami. Slight edge goes to Cuba, and only stands to reason as the thing was after all invented by Cubans. Pats or ExPat Cuban is hard to say.

No matter where its from, its still one of my favorite sammich's.

I reckon Fitty will be like Jimi at Woodstock following The Who, and pulling out all the stops!

Scovie and CJ, perhaps it is fitting that SoFlo Posse gives you Honorary Floridian status.

Bring your PNW style Cubano.

WHAT?!?! You want me to put salmon on it now??????????

:rofl:

Since I've never had a real one, I really want to make it as authentic as possible - this time. Have a funny feeling this won't be a one-time event!!!! :drooling:

Actually, I originally misread TB 1st post! I went and got all the ingredients for one of my fav sandwiches (which I haven't made in years). Then realized what he really posted, and decided I wanted to make Cubanos like everyone else was doing!!!! :drooling:

I now have enough ingredients in our fridge to make 258 sandwiches. ;)

Actually, I originally misread TB 1st post! I went and got all the ingredients for one of my fav sandwiches (which I haven't made in years). Then realized what he really posted, and decided I wanted to make Cubanos like everyone else was doing!!!! :drooling:

Hear me now, forgive me later.

That's just like a woman.

I am ready to accept my punishment.

Yep. I left FD no choice but to pull out all the stops. He'll bring it. And I have no doubt that the Methow Holler (PNW) will do the same.

Thanks Sum for the background on the Cuban and the link.

I smoked pork shoulder over hickory and nectarine then slow cooked it with a shit ton of garlic, oregano, crushed coriander seed and smoked birds eye for 3 hours.

I'm gonna make this for lunch today. It's 9.12 am here now.

Piccys later. Can't wait to nosh on this.

Aight. CJ's got the Pork Cuban Butt, (they are the biggest, meatiest, and juiciest) marinating. lawdy lawdy lawdy.

I'm contributing to this thang with my mad skills too. The Honey-Do list.

We will be using Ciabatta bread, because we are as far away from any Cuban bakery as you can get, without leaving the lower 48.
So, maybe boooo on that. ah well...

I dunno why Cubans don't like spicy food, but they just don't.

We do...
30c6e0fa.jpg

c1aedfcb.jpg

3 TBS. Yellow Mustard
with 3 drops Pure Evil.

No Hopscotch y'all...

Dayom, it looks like there's smoke coming out of that mustard. Chemical Reaction?

WHAT?!?! You want me to put salmon on it now??????????

:rofl:

Since I've never had a real one, I really want to make it as authentic as possible - this time. Have a funny feeling this won't be a one-time event!!!! :drooling:

I'll take two off you for a buck fitty each. You can skip the mustasa on mine.

Thanks Sum for the background on the Cuban and the link.

I smoked pork shoulder over hickory and nectarine then slow cooked it with a shit ton of garlic, oregano, crushed coriander seed and smoked birds eye for 3 hours.

I'm gonna make this for lunch today. It's 9.12 am here now.

Piccys later. Can't wait to nosh on this.

Hey DTS, you know when they say 5:00 somewhere? Yeah, well it's 5:36. I think you know what to do... :cheers: :)

OK, I think I came up with somethin' and will keep you posted manana.

I think I have everything figured out except the pan (bread). I have a couple ideas but you never know what stores will have that's fresh.

Ooooh La La!

Just a few pics to prove I'm not sitting around watching soaps& eating bonbons! :)

Juju begins her Mojo...wait, is that a redundancy?! haha
a914dd8f.jpg

mashing garlic, oregano, onion, s&p....
2f493b79.jpg

mash with oj, lemon & lime juice.
cca59758.jpg

Then I heated olive oil in a pan to 225ºish, removed it from the heat and slowly whisked in the garlic mixture.
I liked this step! It really mellowed the sharpness of the garlic & onion!
Pierced the butt, and popped all of it into a baggie to get to know each other well! Will slow cook it tomorrow! :)
22242901.jpg

Back